Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

My thought is also "too much" thinking KISS again.

I also have to jump on the generator band wagon. All you need is something to charge the battery after starting. I'm sure you will have an electronic ignition so it won't take nouthin. Okay and then lights. You will get a lot of brownie points for a generator. Ivo painted his body color.

P.S. Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings last night. A couple or three glasses of wine will make you speak your (my) mind. Then again I reread my posts this morning and I wouldn't change anything.

Gary

whiplash1923T likes this.
  2. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

Too much? Aren't you the guy that louvered his license plate?;)

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No skin off my nose either way!

I'm beginning to think the same on the front pan louvers. Just 'cause I can doesn't always mean I should...

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Louver it, at the least it will look cool and be an example of your work when you are out and roaming around. After all, you are the louver guy :)

volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Blue has a point. Boy am I wishy washy today.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Well, on that fateful day that you find the front wheels obscuring your vision because their hovering about 5' off the ground, the louvers in that panel will keep it from catching too much air and pushing you the rest of the way over......Oh wait, what motors in this car again? Where am I and what just happened? :D But seriously, don't really see any functional use for them, but you could set a little business card holder right on the panel at shows advertising your louver business (and write off the entire car on your taxes as a business expense)! :D I say (turning on Starsky and Hutch voice) " Do it, Do IT!"

Disclaimer: Following ANY tax advice given by the author of this post without consulting a tax proffesional will most likely land you in hot water with the IRS, just like it did him!

Sent from my LGL45C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I think the louvers would look cool. You could always make another one if you ended up not liking it. It would match the spring perch cover you did already, right?

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Chip would you post a photo of the spring perch cover and the rolled pan together. I forgot how it looked and I went back ten or more pages and couldn't find it.

9. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Gary, check post #260 to see the spring perch cover.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow way back there. I guess now when you quote the pictures don't come up now on the new format. Nice job. I remember it now. Now I am up in the air about louvers in the rolled pan. It would be good advertisement. And for a louver guy you should probably show louvers on your own rod Chip. Maybe even two different sizes.
    The guy that louvered the hood on my Plymouth showed me a sample of four different, perfect louvers. When I got my hood back they were awful. Some not punched all the way and all the corners were dimpled. I was way disappointed. I took it back to him and he made it better. He at least punched them all the way through. My paint guy had a hard time making them presentable. The guy was an old time body and fender hot rod, custom car builder too. I guess he had just got the press and I was his first customer. He must have not punched the ones in the sample he showed me, they were perfect. None of these pictures look as bad as they are. I did have another hood and should have kept it. I would have you Chip do it.

Attached Files:

11. Well, I was going to vote no to the louvers but if you already have them on the rear panel it should be balanced with a few on the front skirt.

12. My hood is louvered, My belly pans are louvered and my rolled pan is louvered. Louvered deck lids on the street are fucked as far as I am concerned.

dana barlow likes this.
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I kinda dropped back and really looked at stuff today and decided "No" to louvering the roll pan. Not EVERYTHING I have has to have louvers punched in it, and I have a few in the perch cover as it is... Lets keep this'n subtle. I did make another aluminum perch cover for Roy's bantam today, though. SAM_4088.JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  14. 117harv

117harv

The perch cover looks good, just enough detail. The rolled pan with louvers would look busy, as well as fighting with the grille insert...jmo

dana barlow likes this.
  15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think your right Harv.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm, I'm thinking one, or maybe two, louvers, on either side of the rolled pan, as accent, would look good. Right about in the middle, on either side of the perch, kinda like one more row. If two, in line, not side by side. Suppose you could pop a couple of examples to lay on top of the panel. Good visual, instead of imagineering... :D . Either way, I like how the pan fills in 'twixt the frame & rad.

Marcus...

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely!....good choice, sometimes these things look so much better with it being a simple clean piece.......just because you can, doesn't mean you should

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  18. wsdad

wsdad

IMHO, louvers should only be used to vent something. I've never understood putting them on tailgates, for instance, if the inside side of the tailgate is left solid.

In the same way, I don't understand putting them on your spring perch cover.

It's like putting a faucet there for decoration. Due to thier function, it doesn't make sense as a decoration.

Can anyone explain it to me, or is it one of those things that, if it has to be explained, it won't be gotten?

" The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen. -Soloman

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nothing to explain! They are 100% non-functional, and purely for decorative purpose. I also, as others have mentioned, have to think somewhat of business when I do things and have to do louvers somewhere on my personal cars. I'm usually not into ornamentation, but how would that be any different than if I say chromed that same piece? Again, flash not function. At least when I'm standing next to the car talking to someone about louvering their hood, or handing out a flyer I have something to point to. Nothing more than that.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

A horizintal louver on the side of the car with a blanked off slot would make a nice business card holder. Bob

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know Chip if I were promoting a louver business I think I would err on the side of too many louvers and put business cards and flyers all around. Everybody would know why. And with a fiberglass car where else do you have to punch them. I think a row of two or three on each side a little longer than the ones on the spring perch would look nice and show off your work.

22. Remember an old magazine article on laminating louvered panels on a 'glass body, maybe on the bed of a Volksrod.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, that was one of Medley's articles in Rod&Custom Quarterlies again. I also thought of laminating a few into the empty space in the middle of the bed character lines inboard of the rear tires. Again though, as far as the front goes I think I have decide not to add anymore at this point. I do also carry a small Demo piece under the seat that is about 10"X16" and a has a row of 2 1/2" louvers and a row of 3 1/2" too. That does double as a something that I can fold and insert flyers into at car shows, so I am ready to go.

24. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

My curiosity is killing me, How do you attach the perch cover?

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I've been having a CRAZY week. Moms in the hospital, my Cutlass got stolen and I've been dealing with used car salesmen and Craig's list geeks. Thanks for the offer, but it would be quite a while, as my water pump is fairly new. I'll keep it in mind, though.

26. Damn, Fred, sounds like Chip and my own bad luck are rubbing off on you. Sorry to hear about your Mom, hope she gets well soon!
    ......THAT sounds like the Houston I used to know! We "lost" about 75% of a Chevy Suburban in the Houston car show parking lot one year. I'm STILL trying to figure out HOW someone can strip a Suburban of it's front clip, doors, dash, seats, engine, trans, and wheels and tires in broad daylight in a convention center parking lot and NO ONE see's it or cares enough to say anything. Only thing I ever came up with is it was SO brazen and extreme maybe people thought it was part of the show?
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If that wasn't such a bad deal, it would have been hilarious. My stories almost as good. My Cutlass was parked around the corner from a Houston POLICE substation. Broad day light, downtown. :confused:

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'll go you one better. My parents were working in Philadelphia about twenty years ago, went to breakfast on a soon to be rainy morning, and walked out to dry spot on the pavement where their brand new Suburban had been parked. The insurance paid, but they had to quickly travel to Wisconsin to find another with rear seat A/C to replace it. (You don't live in AZ without!) Two months later, I, at our businesses here in Phoenix get a call from the Philadelphia police department triumphantly telling me they found our Suburban... Then I got put on hold... Ten minutes later a detective picked up and told me to disregard this call as it and four other cars had just been stolen from the remote impound yard they were in!

dana barlow likes this.
  29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pure freakin' magic!

No, it has a flange broke on the front that loops under the front of the perch, and it is bent just s hair larger radius than the perch itself so it is a bit springy. For the last nine months or so the radiator end has been tucked between the brake line and the perch and that springiness is holding it in place... Cheesy, but it has worked. Now the grill shells roll pan will do the same thing.

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I made light of car theft a few minutes ago, but I am sorry your week sucked.