Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Looks great---you and Ol Scrounger keep me going.

11/2/2014 Didn't think I'd like the yellow. I have made a habit of being wrong. Real nice.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. I just helped a friend diagnose something similar. New engine, new wiring harness retrofit into a recently running car, appeared to have continuity everywhere it was supposed to be but the starter solenoid would not engage when he tried to start it. Same starter that just came out of the car prior to engine work. We found a spade lug connector in the start circuit that he'd plugged in that the blade was wedged between the female connector and the insulating jacket. It would show continuity but wouldn't conduct enough current to energize the starter. You might just go back and wiggle all the connections and see if any fall apart??? Have a good 4th!

3. mj40's

mj40's

I figured out why the fan came on. The ground wire is hooked to the upper radiator brace and it is not bolted down solid yet. The manual switch was in the on position and when I touched the radiator mounting bolt with the test light, that completed the circuit. As for the volt gauge pegging to 0, all the gauges are powered to a common hot wire from the fuse box. Naturally when you switch the key to start all, of the circuits are cut for full starting power and the volt gauge will go neg. I was just thinking too hard! It does help to just walk away once in awhile.

4. Mart

Mart

I did a little re-wire on my roadster recently but before I did I sat down and drew a little one off diagram to follow for each circuit. Wiring is relatively simple if you can only think of one circuit at a time. Glad you found out what was causing your hiccups.

I tried to use a trailer adaptor once, and had little success. I use relays now to run my brake light/rear indicators.

Mart.

5. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

MJ, is the plywood an underlayment for your hardwood bed floor? I am just about ready to start on the bed floor on my truck and am considering my options. I seem to have a similar bed floor frame as you and am trying to determine if I can just lay the hardwood or if I need some sort of underlayment.

Jeff

6. mj40's

mj40's

Yes it is. The 40 pickup I sold was set up that way. As you can see from this photo, you need a base to start with to level the underlay. Due to the frame rise and gas filler hose. 3/4 ply will do that and it is also easier to bolt the bed runners in because 40 beds were not designed for them originally.
    [​IMG]

7. And here's the same bed as above, finally finished (more or less)!
    [​IMG]
    Good to see you're closing in on the finish line Mel. I've been plugging away as well ... have to finish painting hood this summer, interior later. Your's is looking great!

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  8. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

Thanks MJ40 and KPG50,

Your photos have helped immensely. I now have a much better vision for what I need to do.

Jeff

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I don't know how I missed this thread, but what a beautiful truck!

10. mj40's

mj40's

I have been working on the rear bumper area. Here is what I decided to do to get more of a 60's look. For the front I'm thinking of putting the 40 grill guard on with a couple amber fog light converted to turn signals.
    [​IMG]
    This was my coupe in the 70's with fog lights. I'm thinking of something a little smaller around 4 or 5" size.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. mj40's

mj40's

I mentioned a few post back that I had hired a new painter. All sounded good but 5 weeks later and he hasn't touched it. At least I don't think he has. I looked at it last week but haven't been able to catch his shop open this week. It shouldn't take more than a weeks work but painters seem to take on more than they can handle. Always new projects showing up and none of them getting done. I was hoping to drive it this summer. Sucks!

12. mj40's

mj40's

Checked on the bed last week and painter had some bondo spread on. I got my first bill at 25 hours and $65 an hour. Yes we had a talk and he lowered his price by almost half! He figured another 40 hours to finish after telling me a week tops. Not feeling good about all this. I have been working on the interior the last couple days. I got the headliner installed and working on the rear panels. I would have installed bows like others do but I'm trying to stay to the old school look that I'm going for. Like I would have done it in 62. I made up the sun visors today and will sew them up in the morning and install. Every things is buttoned up in the motor area and as soon as I can round up a couple friends I will fire this pig up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    jnewmz and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Hood liner loops great, hope you havea good resolution with painter!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

14. mj40's

mj40's

A little more progress today. Next is carpet and kick panels. Then I can trim out the seat frame and install the seat.
    [​IMG]

15. Not near the same quality pickup, but here is the override and fog lamps on my jailbar.

[​IMG]

16. mj40's

mj40's

Most of the carpet is in now and I can install the seat to see how all this is going to look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. putz

putz
    from wisc.

your backing for head liner ,material? did you glue liner on to backing totally and than bend the curve
    of cab ? thank you , what a beauty !!!!!!!!

18. mj40's

mj40's

The headliner was made from ABS sheeting 1/8 thick. It bends very easily and fits under a lip on the front edge and screwed to the rear cab support at the rear. It also fits under the rear window rubber. I sewed then stapled the tuck n roll section in and glued the sides in place before installing. Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  19. mj40's

mj40's

Yesterday I hired yet another painter (3rd) to finish up the bed. I feel good about this one because he is the guy that painted my coupe several years ago. Already last night he sent pictures of his progress. Finally something getting done.

20. mj40's

mj40's

The panel I made from ABS for the firewall worked out great. The more I use this stuff the better I like it. The carpet is done now and I will work on the kick panels tomorrow. Because of the light color of the carpet, I wasted a can of Scotch Guard on it to help with stains. I can see the tunnels end now. My new painter got the running board done today. It had a couple spots that needed repaired and the first guy rubbed through in a couple spots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  21. mj40's

mj40's

Since Tuesday my new painter fixed and painted a running board, painted the grill/radiator cover and is now working on the tailgate. Next week he will start on the bed. I'm not used to this quick service. All is looking great and I just might make my deadline now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  22. redzula

redzula

Awesome. I for one am excited to see this one done

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

So, progress is once again being made in the paint department, that's good. When's the big debut????????????

24. mj40's

mj40's

I have never been fond of debut’s. I promised Scott I would have it along with my coupe in the roadster show next spring for the 75th anniversary of the 40's. I keep getting set backs. Found a crack in my drivers front window today. Sucks!
    redzula, I too will be excited to get this one done.

25. mj40's

mj40's

The picture doesn't show the color very well but the tailgate is done now. Bed is next.
    [​IMG]

26. mj40's

mj40's

I love my body/painter. I dropped off my bed to him today and he already banged on her a little and applied 4 coats of high build primer. Not accustomed to this fast service!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

redzula likes this.
  27. mj40's

mj40's

TODAYS UPDATE: I have been waiting a long time to see this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. WOW....looks GREAT.....nice'n shineeee.

29. I think I saw this thread a while ago, but I just went through the whole thing. Very Nice! Thanks for sharing- hopefully I'll see it at one of the shows here in the Northwest.

30. mj40's

mj40's

I picked up the bed today. As soon as I can get a couple friends over it will start looking like a pickup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014