Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unfinished Business: A 1951 Mercury Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Doctor Detroit, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't updated my build in a while because I have to make all of my photos smaller to meet the file size requirements. It currently has the windshield in and it runs enough to pull onto a trailer or drive short distances. I need to get it running better. It's come a long way from sitting for 30 years.

2. ettenod

ettenod

I'M looking to buy a set for my 51 Baby Lincoln.
    Don Smith 817-738-5677

3. freezerburn

freezerburn

Hey I dig your build though I'm a Chevy guy but a great car is a great car to me. At any rate you mentioned a possible radio mod, thought to mention bobsradio.com he did mine for my 48' Aerosedan (20 pages and lots of fun too) his names not bob but wowzer work. All stock to look at but is 12 volts, am/fm, mp3. The receiver inside is so powerful no antenna needed. 6x9 forced mono speaker all self contained in the og I sent him. The treble switch is now the selector for am/fm. A small potentiometer was added ended neath to accommodate the treble/bass function. The dial and receiver (in am anyway) are calibrated together- I just use two presets for am and three for fm. Pretty slick. Aesthetically it is 100% stock. The dial dimmer works and everything. There are two mp3 jacks in the back on top. It was a tad spendy I suppose bit absolutely no regrets whatsoever. You might want to check him out. Hope this helps. Be cool, freezerburn

4. ettenod

ettenod

Yes those sound like the ones I'm looking for please call me with more details Don Smith Fort Worth Texas 817-738-5677

5. ettenod

ettenod

My Email is [email protected]
    Thanks for any help you might give. Don Smith Fort Worth TX.

6. ettenod

ettenod

7. ettenod

ettenod

I can't figure out how to reply so I will try it here, Yes those sound like the ones that I need. if you would like to sell them let me know Email [email protected] or call me 817-738-5677
    Don Smith Fort Worth Texas.

8. threewindow

threewindow

I love my 51 merc. I am probably one of the few people on the hamb that had a new black 51 merc sport coupe in 1951. Bought it after I graduated from high school. I finally got another one forty years latter. This one will never be for sale.

9. Slopok

Slopok

Watched your amazing build from the beginning. Look forward to cruising with you some time soon now that you got r dunn. IMG_3090.JPG

wicarnut and Pinstriper40 like this.
  10. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few resized photos... These are from the end of May. More pics to come.

Attached Files:

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These photos are also from the end of May, but it still looks like this. I have some trouble shooting to do. It's runs enough to pull onto the trailer.

Attached Files:

wicarnut and Kustom.Falcon like this.
  12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As of now, the changes include: '51 Lincoln Taillights that were lowered 2 inches, frenched '54 Mercury Headlight Rings, '48 Ford 16" wheels, shaved trunk, shaved hood, shaved fuel door, trim holes filled. I have '48 Lincoln Door Buttons to install, I just haven't welded them in yet. '50 Mercury Grille Surround isn't installed yet either. The front end is dropped a few inches with dropped uprights and shorter springs and shocks (not Aerostar). The rear has 4 inch dropped springs and 2 inch lowering blocks. The frame and suspension is black semi gloss Imron, underneath the floor is Silver Metallic gloss Imron, but the body is rattle canned silver for now. The engine, trans, dash, miscellaneous trim pieces are Burnt Copper VHT. The dash was clear coated.

14. Looks good. The body almost looks like brushed aluminium in the pictures.

15. brady1929

brady1929

16. daddio211

daddio211

17. Eric H

Eric H

Looks pretty good for rattle can paint. Great looking car!

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rattle can paint job looks better in the photos than in person. In sunlight you can see the stripes, but it's good enough for now. I still have bodywork to complete before it gets a nice paint job. I'm not going to do the bodywork until I drive it more and get the bugs worked out. I have a feeling the front end of going to come off a few times before it's ready for good paint... Here's a photo of me taking the car out for a joy ride.

IMG_6353 smaller.JPG

19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few "Before & After" photos.... about three years apart.
    Both Front.jpg Both Rear.jpg Both Frame.jpg

20. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

Great work dude!! I love it!

21. hoffernsp

hoffernsp
    from MN

Hello doctor, I have been following your build project and it looks great. I have a question on the PB set up. I have the same kit for my 51 and wondering how did you drill the hole for the pivot? There is not a whole lot of clearance room between the frame and cross member to drill the 1/2 in hole 3 in from the pedal bracket. I still have the body in place.
    thanks
    keith

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I drilled the hole for the pivot in my frame for the upgraded master cylinder and power booster, I had the body off the frame, and no transmission or crossmember in the way. It was easy to get to. If I recall correctly, the instructions with the kit gave dimensions for locating the hole. I think I just used a drill, but I could get to either side. With the body still on, I'm not sure how best to drill that hole.

Here's a bad and/or possibly unsafe idea that might work at the risk of death: a small drill bit in an angle grinder, then use a carbid bit in the angle grinder to open up the hole?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  23. I know it's not a finished product but the color of the wheels and interior garnish molding looks great in contrast with the body.

24. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks... I really like it. The decision to go with silver was a late-in-the-game decision. I had planned on black all along. I'm going to keep it silver even after I repaint it with something better than a rattle can. I think the contrast between the silver body / orange engine and dash / black frame and suspension is a pretty nice look. I'm planning on using black vinyl for the interior.

25. Eric H

Eric H

26. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just realized I had not posted any updates in nine months... but the truth is... there isn't much to update. I've barely touched it in the past year, partly due to moving and not having enough room in the garage to work on it. I look at it every day. This summer I'll get back to taking care of the details so I can actually drive it. It still looks like the photos in post #199. I've been fooling around with a few different grills, and I bought a grille surround from a 1950 Merc, nut nothing is installed yet. It moves under it's own power (when the battery isn't dead), but it's not ready for the road yet...

27. ettenod

ettenod

Really like how you did your tail lights, were can I get a set? do thy mount like the Mercury the two brackets are they the same as the Mercury, have you got some extra or a source to get some.

28. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched ebay and searched the classifieds of vintage car websites. They are quite difficult to find. I think I looked for a year before I found them. I've seen them go for $300-400 a set, and those needed to be refurbished and/or rechromed. There's one company who manufactures the red lens and they are about $120 each. These tail lights were were only made one year, 1951, and they were only available on the small Lincoln or Mercury Monarchs, the Canadian Mercury. I don't know what the production numbers for those two cars are, but it's probably low. Yes, they fit into the Mercury sheetmetal hole, but the brackets you mentioned are different because the entire bezel/housing is different. I've seen in photos where someone took this Lincoln lens and modified it to fit into the standard Mercury tail light. Looked pretty good and it was something different.

29. Joe you still in the Chicago area?

30. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No sir, I'm in Detroit. I still get back to Chicago often, though.