Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '50 Buick special build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by PraiseDLowrd, Jul 20, 2014.

1. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm new to the forums and thought id post up my new ride. I Picked up this beautiful 1950 Buick sedanette special jetback. She's got 38,684 original miles and the body is it great shape for 64 year old steel. The only rust on the car was in the floors and trunk but they have been patched. The paint is definitely a 10 footer and will be resprayed eventually. The original straight 8 starts up and runs like a champ but there are several leaks to take care of. The power steering leaks like a siv and so does the original dynaflow trans. The tires were shot when I bought the car so some new Coker white walls are on the way. Since the wheels are off I decided to have them sand blasted so I can powdercoat them black. It had air ride on the back but one of the bags had a hole in it. Naturally I started out looking for 1 replacement bag and ended up buying a whole air ride kit. Damn internet. I figured this car has made it this long without being hacked up or abused so I am not going to cut up the car in any way shape or form. My goal is to keep it as original as possible and build a clean, reliable, mild custom cruiser.

Along with the slam specialties air ride kit I'll be installing fatman fabrications 2" drop spindles and later on down the line a front disc brake conversion. As always, any advice is welcomed! Thanks for looking!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405933657.038443.jpg Sorry,have not introduced my self yet... But here is my ol' cruiser,she is skyhigh because she is a dailydriver! Will become a change in wintertime

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Love '50 Buicks! Have you seen the one voodoo Larry is chopping at the moment?

4. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Love the 1950 Buick, I have one as well. Good luck!

5. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I have sold both of my 50's but will have another one someday. The '50 is the only year to have. I do have a '50 4dr Roadmaster parts car in case your needing anything. Thats a GREAT looking Buick!!!

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I look forward to your build. I have a 49 and am in the process of straightening out the rear suspension.

7. Nice '50! My only advice to you would be to run a larger tire. Do you have any idea what size you plan to run? Bias ply or radial?

8. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Thanks fellas, I just ordered the air ride kit from slam specialties today. As for my statement about not cutting the car I'm gonna have to do a little trimming and reinforcing on the front spring pockets to fit the larger 7" bags required to lift her heavy ass.

Man that's a nice lookin buick!

Yes sir. that's a sick ride, he's got some skills. Way more work than I would attempt on my own haha

Thanks! I'm going to run a 215/75R15 Coker Classic radial w/2.5" whitewall. It had 195/65's which I thought was waaay to small of a tire. This tire is about 27" tall but I think it will ride a heck of a lot better and still lay out nicely with drop spindles and bags.
    [​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  9. footbrake

footbrake

She's a real beauty

10. seboyandong

seboyandong

I have one as well. Good luck!I have one as well. Good luck!

11. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Firestone 8-20 15 big tires but lot of space... Done my measurement for sure! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406231177.672605.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406231208.366386.jpg

12. Scotch

Scotch

Another '50 owner here. It's been on the back burner for awhile but I'm working on changing that by selling off other projects.

13. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Anybody have power steering on their '50? This doesnt look original. Leaks like a siv and all of the hoses are shot. Everything under the car is covered in 3/4" of oil/grease/dirt. I scraped most of it off just to find the bolt heads and grease certs but I think I should power spray the rest off. Also, theres a bolt missing from the oil pan, one from the bellhousing, and one from the trans 'cover' behind the oil pan? Please forgive my ignorance and dont burn me at the stake, im not familiar with straight 8's. im just trying to get some advice here. Ive searched and saw people have done power steering conversions from 52-53 buicks but not much else. Also, I have a major oil leak from the pan gasket. Is it feasible to drop the oil pan to replace the gasket without pulling the motor? Looks like it could be done but again, im not familiar with the inline 8's and any complications that may arise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]And thats just off of the front suspension

14. layedout49

layedout49

Looks like fun to me !

15. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Hey, On the bright side... if its all covered in oil and grease it wont rust.

16. those boys over on the AACA Buick forum will most likely be a good source for stock Buick answers. I know when I had the 50 Jetback they were very helpful with there knowledge

17. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great lookin car, love the lines on those Buicks!! keep the pictures coming!!

18. LONG

LONG

19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought
    from Conway WA
    1. Swindlers G.K.Y.

PraiseD, What a prefect car.

20. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

21. 51 Super

51 Super
    from Iowa

Very cool! Now I'll be looking at air ride kits...damn you.

22. 'Mo

'Mo

jocktherock,
    I'm glad that you and PraiseDLowerd both have those beautiful Buick Sombreros.
    They look like a cross between the Caddy Sombrero and a '57 Lincoln Premier. I'm sure they would have been "THE" classic cap, but they don't seem to fit any other wheel. I cry when Buick guys swap them out.

Your car is tits, but please bring it down to earth. Then you can call it done!
    (I assume you've got a hood?)

[​IMG]

PraiseDLowerd , The whitewalls, and you're there!
    (Oh, and split pipes for both you guys.)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Model T1 and hacknwhack like this.
  23. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I believe 1953 was the first year of Power Steering. for buick.
    looks like a mid fifties setup . bolt in swap
    someone did the hard work for you, now you just have to fix it.
    been looking for a setup for my 51 special.

nice project

24. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

PraiseDLowerd,dont want to hi jack your low end... 'MO-evidence ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406447066.584825.jpg

Model T1 and 1927graham like this.
  25. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Sweet ride. I'm a Buick fan. So I'm glad to see another one getting built. Keep up the good work.

26. Love the toothy grin on those. GM Sedanettes are a favorite of mine. One day..

27. 1952 was first year power steering was available, Roadmaster only. Looks like who ever added it changed to narrow belts as well.
    Oil pan can be dropped and gasket changed without pulling the engine.
    The hub caps are '52.

Nice find. Congrats.

Ben

28. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Here is a pic of the one my Dad just finished.

29. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

30. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Thank you for the info! For the power steering I'm going to build new hard lines from the pump to the tank myself. The rubber hoses I'll just take to a local hydraulic shop to have new ones made.

Man that looks sharp!