Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm the last guy to give electrical advice, but have you given any thought to running an alernator off the driveshaft. Nobody will see one under your car. Bob

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like the look of your T Reb, but if ya got to lean way forword each time your at a light,it gets old fast,A little lean is fine if your comfeey with it,I for one think there is a line were safety is needed to a point{not the same as a factory car though,but that was not what I said above,I said if its uncomfortible to drive it,it gets driven lots less,so that = not cool. I do see a lot of over chopped an some too low to drive cars around,but those only look cool to those that never tryed to drive that cartoon look alike/they end up getting sold off to next guy that don't know tell its to late,or actuly gets fixed. I'm with ya on safe can look ugly if overdone,but underdone can look n be undrivible and that looks ugly as well. So I don't think it herts anything say were I've found some limits over building hotrods for the passed 50+ years

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

So dana you would give the same advice to Royal Shifter. I guarantee he has to lean way forward to see street lights. I wouldn't change a single thing on his car. His windshield and top are perfect and any little change would ruin the look. My windshield is too tall. Way taller than his and I still have to lean forward to see streetlights. I for one would rather be way uncomfortable in a T than drive an UGLY one.

QUOTE="dana barlow, post: 10538968, member: 15375"]I like the look of your T Reb, but if ya got to lean way forword each time your at a light,it gets old fast,A little lean is fine if your comfeey with it,I for one think there is a line were safety is needed to a point{not the same as a factory car though,but that was not what I said above,I said if its uncomfortible to drive it,it gets driven lots less,so that = not cool. I do see a lot of over chopped an some too low to drive cars around,but those only look cool to those that never tryed to drive that cartoon look alike/they end up getting sold off to next guy that don't know tell its to late,or actuly gets fixed. I'm with ya on safe can look ugly if overdone,but underdone can look n be undrivible and that looks ugly as well. So I don't think it herts anything say were I've found some limits over building hotrods for the passed 50+ years[/QUOTE]

4. Chip look at the top on my Roadster. If they did not put turn signal lights on poles lower than the main lights I would never see one. Fuck a bunch of practical and make it cool looking!!!!

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think I agree with the keep it cool and low gang.

If you can't see the light it's probably because you stopped way too close to it. You can't drive the hot rod like you do the pickup truck.

Stop a little further back or look at the lower down lights as mentioned here.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Listen guys we need to get back on track. Chip is building an early 60s T Bucket. They were not comfortable. They didn't have any trick shit past early '60s shit. No electronic anything. We were not thinking about safety anything. I know I sound like an ass but if you want that kind of rod you are on the wrong site. This site is early '60s shit and older. You need to get into that mindset. We don't want it to just look early '60s and older we want it to be early '60 and older. We don't want to put a small alternator in an generator housing. If you want the look of a generator run a generator as we did in the 60s and I still do.
    Sorry Chip for the rant. Just me and a good bottle of wine.

bowie likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I got caught in a MAJOR rain storm today and let's just say, after going through a few deep puddles, I was glad my alternator wasn't tucked low. While drying my car off, I noticed I would have quite a bit of room between my fan and radiator, if I removed my spacer. Then, I could run a long water pump and a nice, chrome OEM alternator bracket.

So, I'm rethinking down and low. Maybe, when my water pump goes, I'll make the switch. MAYBE. Or, I'll get a wild hair and just spend a Saturday morning doing the conversion sooner. As far as location goes, I'm really starting to debate looks v/s efficiency.

8. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I agree with you 100%, but unfortunately, the combination of the channel and my 6'2" body won't allow much of a top chop from where it's at currently. I really do think the windshield needs a haircut though. Appreciate your input. I'll sit in it some more this weekend and see if I can take out a couple inches from the top, but I doubt it lol.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Oh hell Gary, here I was on planning air conditioning and heat for my T and now you tell me that is a no no. Well just as well I have a boring old BMW for all those sorts of comfort things. :oops:;) Now tell me guys, is all your traffic lights hung up high across the streets just about everywhere ? We have ours on posts across the other side of the intersection so driving low top cars aren't a problem unless you happen to be first in line and have a real radical chop topped car. As for the alternator, mine is a tiny Jappa chromed up sitting way down between the frame and engine that most don't even notice it is there. I do own a large one wire chrome one but I would have to have it mounted out over the top of one of the rocker covers which is in my eyes, like a wart on ones bum, so I will stay with my little thing.:)

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Sorry ya missunderstud my point,so don't matter. On to better stuff gang.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, the rants are good many ways around it. Does open conversation if nothing else, and unless it degrades into out and out name calling without a bunch of smiley faces behind it, it's all okay.

I am probably the worst guy to make the safety argument deal with on this planet. I never did the family and kids and Volvo and such, so I never have lived the "concerned" lifestyle. I think I have come to realize after an entire 50 year life filled with racing things and hot rods and motorcycles and stuff, that safety is always going to be rooted in me and my abilities more so than anything around me designed to protect me. And, I am happy to accept that responsibility. I was thinking the other day about what would and how bad things would get hurt if someone whacked my in the 'Bucket, and I kinda decided that I'd probably be even a bit worse off than falling off a bike in some cases. So really, the only way to be safe in one of these is to make damned sure it stops and goes around corners as well as it possibly can, so I can drive it around those that wish me harm.

And, that in it's self is kinda where I draw the line on safety. If it effects the braking, handling or even general complete control of the car, it just flat doesn't leave the driveway until it's fixed. If it's annoying or uncomfortable, I'm willing to put up with a bunch of that in the name of "cool". I've driven a bunch of over chopped cars and trucks in my life, enough that I have a minor Caveman haunch kinda going. Doesn't bug me and it adds character, but I could see how it could make someone else crazy, or even scare the brjeebus out of someone else. I can't stand turn signals on these cars... That terrifies others. My opinion is, ya gotta build what is comfortable to you and what you can live with, and stick as much to the given era as you possibly can.

So, that is my wishy washy take on safety issues with these things. Never compromise on control, but leeway in ergonomics... Oh, and this was hashed over the last drops of AN EPIC Sapphire and Tonic...

If ya hang on a few weeks I'll send ya my chrome late bracket and pump when I'm done with 'em!

dana barlow likes this.
  12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Chip, dana again I am just trying to bring everything home. This is a site for '60s something and older rods. You are building an early '60s T and trying to take all the later ugly out of what you started with. We, all participating need to put ourselves back in that timeframe. For me it is forward in time. For most back.
    I'm sorry guys if I take this shit too seriously but it is what I do.
    We need to think what would I do in '62.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, you are absolutely right, Gary. I think I said something to the effect earlier on, that the temptation to get "trick" sometimes really needs to be quelled in the name of staying focused on the end result. Probably not worded that well.... Now I see why all the old-time newspaper guys drank lots!

dana barlow likes this.
  14. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Actually, since it *is* hot rodding we're talking about, most cats in the 60s', if they could afford it, or if it was available, would've done the up-grade-thing, since modifying & adapting newer parts for speed & power was what it was all about. Engines, carbs, ignition, upholstery, paint colors/combos, wheels, various forms of brakes, et-al - take your choice, & most of 'em were featured in some magazine of the era, + maybe a "how-to" on top of it. There were, of course, those who were into "retro", although it wasn't called that then. & the era of Chips' deal, was to improve, as best one could - using his/her imagination(if any), skills(if any), folding green(if any), & labor(yours or friends'), to get more performance out of your rod(or to even just cobble one together). In this case a T. The skill set, availability of "technology", etc., just wasn't in the pipeline for most folks then. But that didn't stop some from doing, others from copying, & yet others from wishing... & the attitude goes back into the teens, at least. What some are pounding-the-desk over, amounts to *now* = little more than a recreation/restoration of an era they didn't live through, using parts/equipment they never were unlucky enough/forced to have to endure. S.R., you're probably older than me(& I'm not slamming you here, either) - I'm pushing 60 real close-like, & when I was younger, I *had* to use bias-ply tires, drum brakes, generators, etc (it's all we had, or could afford) - all year 'round incl winter, where I live(d). IT SUCKED - & still does. True, it was typical of the time(s), but if I had the scratch, I'd've upgraded asap(not even a hotrod -just the lousy dd). I'm long done w'that s..t, & will not live it again (BTDT/etc). To me, it is a safety-deal. Yah, I know T buckets don't get used in winter(at least around here), but loads of folks seem to think there isn't any difference anyways. If you like that stuff - knock yourself out... :D . Guess I'm not hard-core enough... :D .

Chip, the finned Chry alt is a great look, + time-period add-on. & was sought after.

You could make a case for certain front disc-brakes also. It'd be stretching it, but Avanti & Lark had the Girlings in 63 on, Jag XKE since 61, & ford mustang in 64. *That* argument could be real interesting... :D .

BTW: since you're at 105 pages, let's go for 200+. :D .

Still one of the best threads on this board.

Marcus...

15. Roger on the back on topic! :D I wasn't suggesting Chip do this to his car, but since someone brought it up, I figured I should share my experience since it "could" save someone the hassle / expense of trying it themselves. On the top issue, I have what would be considered on of the more cartoon looking tops (exactly what Total Performance sold it with, and a pretty tall windshield (not sure if it's actually stock height, but it's close. It's also as sold by Total), and although I'm not a giant (5'10"), I STILL have to lean forward to see traffic lights. My seat riser is just as Chip suggests (2" tall at the front), but it's closer to 3" tall at the front edge of the seat due to the seats overhang, but the real problem is probably the diamond / button tufted seats. The upholestry has got to be 3" thick as well. We have the mid pole mounted lights as well, and sometimes I have to lean just a little forward to see them!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Alternators were pricey things in the mid '60s, generators worked just fine; my extra money went for finned aluminum, etc.

Don't worry about seeing traffic lights, a chopped car is tougher still, you learn to deal with it.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Chrome was n is cool,but "most" all my cars shiny an others I knew came from hard work,polishing anything that would shin an smooth shiny paint. Hunting ,begging an trading parts or work in trade,only a few $ in piggy bank then,an now. The the little finned Chry alt is something I hunted,just never got,if I had,I would of polished hell out of them fins and showed it off for sure {"Thinking from me when they came out";}
    I may be the oldist one here or not? at 72 and been building n driving rods in the mid 1950s right on tell now,plus lot of racecars,so first hand info from when at lest some of you are try to copy from a old magZ nother info.
    This time I'll state my point,for less miss reads=I'd of used one if I'd got one when they were new.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    loudbang and grifcarnut like this.
  18. SR if you want to rant about period perfect then Chip needs to change the whole rear end set up because they did not use coil overs. Most of us are trying to help Chip with Ideas. After all they are just ideas.

whiplash1923T and dana barlow like this.
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I pretty much stated going in that this wasn't going to be a dead on "perfect" early sixties car simply because of the damned coil overs. It's certainly within my capabilities to change them out, but that gets into major disassembly and time down from it's basic purpose - driving. So it's a no-go. I am compiling a long list of Must Haves for the next one though, and THAT car will be very "correct". In the mean time I'm trying hard as hell not to add anything to this that isn't rooted in the parts availability or technology of my pre-'64 time frame. It's just a matter of picking your battles with this stuff sometimes....

So, enough philosophy, Onward and upward with putting early lipstick on this pig!!!

brEad and dana barlow like this.
  20. missysdad1

missysdad1

Speedway Stoplight Prism.jpg
    X2...but there is an alternative: Speedway Motors. Ten bucks. Such a deal. Be cool!

volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I checked, the article appeared in Sept. 62 R&C, it wasn't a chrysler alt though, is was one I don't recognize from the pic. The Chrysler alt fits both the letter and the spirit of this build.
    That having been said, just how much draw can a T bucket have? IMO, a generator would work just as well. But I have NO PROBLEM with the Mopar alternator. Plus, you have the added benefit of getting all kinds of "that aint right" from all the clueless idiots out there that have jumped on the traditional bus in the last 3 years...:D

need louvers ? likes this.
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yup,it was the 1960 model of Ply Valent{spell] came out late 59 that had the first one,my Dad got that ugly ass car new with its fell over 6cly at the end of 1959,I hated it,but the alt. was cool.
    OK,a story for y"all; So for the 3 on the floor it had with the layover 6,I barowed the car{ actully cuz it had gas an my rod was out],I tryed to do a fast shift and the shifter fell over on the floor{crap I though I broke it and Dad will kill me if he fines out;but turned out I could pick it up an wiggel it back in to place,cuz the shifter assm was very flimzy an arm plates just flexed{ I could see after pulling up the boot. Now here's the sad part,Dad traded in a 1955 Chevy Nomad wagon to get that POS

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

oh crap, that was a bad deal. went from a way cool car, :rolleyes: even in those days, to a genuine POS :eek:

dana barlow likes this.
  24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, bad deal, but I have to admit that I won't shuffle off this mortal coil with out owning a '60 Lancer 2dr....

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ha, ha, ha! I once yanked the shifter handle right out of the trans on a 510....

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know, those things will swallow an RB with relative ease...Theres an engine swap article on doing just that in Hot Rod in '67 or '68.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell, I was just reading one from about '64 or so by the Ramchargers about creating an A/FX car! That's what made me think about it.

You know, as long as I have the screen open, I want to run something by you guys. Take a look at my front roll pan again.... I have my 2 1/2" louver dies mounted up at the moment, what would you think about a few of them in it? I can't get my self past the idea that it would end up being "too much", but now would be the time to do it if I did. What do ya think? SAM_6709.JPG SAM_6706.JPG

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My take is "too much", but then I am a "form follows function" kinda guy. Hell, I aint even crazy about louvered deck lids. To me, louvers are for venting heat. Most will probably disagree.

dana barlow likes this.
  29. Or to exhaust air build, in the case of deck lids, belly pans, etc on race cars.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ha! You got me there!!