Register now to get rid of these ads!

blasting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparmaddnes, May 9, 2009.

1. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

I know it is not recommended to sand blast a car body, so my question is what about dry ice blasting? My brother owns a company that does it and was looking over my frame and my coupe and said he could take of the rust with it. Will the dry ice warp the metal like sand will? I was thinking it might not since the sand warps by heat due to friction and the dry ice is cold, but maybe to cold. any thoughts!
    Matt

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nothing wrong with sandblasting, it just takes a skilled person to do it without warping things.

3. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

The space program uses dry ice -the clean up is simple

4. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Sand is good and comes in different grits.
    Don't hold it in one spot too long.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've had all my stuff media blasted by a pro.
    Quicker than me doing it any other way, gets the rust and crud out, inside holes you'd never get sandpaper and everywhere you can imagine.

In my opinion having a pro do it is less likley to screw anything up than it is if you grind it off with a wire wheel or anything else.

6. duste01

duste01

Just dont blast non-traditional stuff. The 22 gauge high strength steel cant take it. Its so thin it only has one side to it.

7. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

If you have someone do it who knows how to use the proper settings to keep from bashing one side of a panel and work hardening it you will be fine with silica or sand blasting.

Something you might look into though is soda blasting. It's pretty economical, cleanup is nice and easy (it's water soluble) and it isn't super abrasive. Leaves a nice finish to work with.

I've got a bike engine here that's all fucked up. I'm gonna make some blockoff plates for the ports and plug the case vent and take it in to get the whole thing sodablasted before paint. I can post some pics if you want when I get it back?

8. flatford39

flatford39

What's a good source for silica free beach sand???? I want to blast the door bottoms on my wifes 2001 Cherokee as they are starting to rust.

9. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

Not trying to sound like an ass, but I was looking for some info on dry ice blasting. Would this warp the panels on the coupe?
    Matt

10. why not ask your brother since he is in the business, you would think he would know.

11. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

Well he just started the buisness and is trying to get into different areas for buesness. He usually blasts commercial stuff and if it will work and not distort the metal I wouldn't mind him doing it. For then I shouldn't have to pay much as he would use that as a tool to show what he can do.
    Matt

12. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Could you get a couple of junk fenders from an off topic car with plenty of rust. Give them to your brother and see how it turns out. He should be willing to do something like that if he wants to get into the business. If it turns out good he might consider this expansion, if he thinks it was too hard to keep the metal from warping, he might choose to stay away from sheetmetal.

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

One thing to remember sand is real hard on metal . Once that metal is sand blasted and gone , it's gone forever !
    Have you considered a Soda blast ? That is the safest way to go from all points !

14. sloppy-ollies

sloppy-ollies
    from Jersey

dont want to thread jack, but can you run soda blasting material through a regular siphon feed sand blaster?

15. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Media cleaning a body is no problem, if done by a reputable, skilled shop.
    soda does not remove rust, and leave behind a residue that has to be washed off with water.... not a favorable solution for metal IMHO

16. I dig it, why not just get an old fender or door off of modern day clunker and experiment, see what works best, it will be good for you and good for him data wise.

17. learntorod

learntorod
    from australia

For blasting cars soda is great or fine crushed glass for rust and even paint removal i use soda on bonnets boot lids and the roof the rest i do in glass just turn the preasure down to 90psi and stand back about 4 feet and starl blasting if nothing is happening move in a bit or turn the preasure up 5psi allso work on one layer of paint at a time and dont stay in one spot for to long and extra care must be taken when removing the final coat

18. 69fury

69fury

yes dry ice blasting is fine for steel body panels. as the ice hits the surface it instantly transforms back to a gaseous state with a microscopic "kapow" which helps to blast the finish off the steel. Soda blasting is very nice too. either will suit your needs

19. learntorod

learntorod
    from australia

I saw a demo on dry ice balsting and it is way to slow to be worth while but i can see it having a use on delicate electronics. i blast with soda and its magic big air and big nozzles makes quick work a full car takes me 5 to 7 hours. the soda just shreads the paint. with a high CFM compressor the cutting action has to be seen to be belived:D

20. tdoty

tdoty

Does ice blasting remove rust? Or am I going to have to haul some of my junk to work and test out the ice blaster on rust?

No more sandblaster or beadblaster at work - plastic media in the big cabinet and a special room for the ice blaster. We use it for cleaning up a UV curing resin (like fiberglass resin) from aluminum and stainless. I really hadn't even thought of ice blasting any of my car parts.

Tim D.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

OK man we get the point. You've dug up every old blasting thread you could find, and spammed the hell outa the board with your (?) business. Maybe become an Alliance Member, post your wares there & do it right?

22. You realize the OP ask this question 5 years ago, I would hope he has gotten past this step in his build.:D

I have used sand for years and it's always worked for me. HRP

[​IMG]

23. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Yea.... spammers are more annoying than informative. Since it has been dragged up though, there are a few unanswered questions from the original posts. We never did hear back about the dry ice which would be interesting to know it's affect on thinner panels, and I don't have any experience for that. As for using soda in a sandblaster, it requires a few simple mod's and the modified version is available from Eastwood's. Any time I use sand, I use fine grits, low pressures, keep the nozzle at a low angle and move quickly. Go across a problem area in numerous passes rather holding the nozzle in one place until it's clean. If you view the sand particles as a million tiny hammers hitting your panel, you need to reduce the work hardening and think of them as glancing blows rather than direct hits.

24. The guy ain't a spammer...

I'm not defending the guy but he has been a member since 2008,,probably not using good judgement by reviving long dead threads..one of the moderators just needs to slap his hand.

Most of us have been call the front office at one time or another. HRP

25. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

lol.... maybe he's just an old and slow spammer.

26. Nope,I went to his profile,he had a bunch of post unrelated to blasting so I was starting a conversation with him to give him a heads up about his recent postings fearing he was going down a path that would land him in trouble.

When I went back to his profile,I got the error,,so I assume his over exuberance has gotten him banned. HRP

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah give Slowmotion a break guys. Not everyone is bored enough to dig in the archives for a a thread that has been dead for exactly five years and two months and give an answer like that to it. The amazing part is that he isn't an FNG doing it on his first post.
    It did set me to doing a bit of research on the subject as I have a lot of blasting to be done in the next few months on three projects I have going.

28. Slowmotion didn't drag up the dead thread,,the moderators removed the guys post that drug it up. HRP

29. I only opened the post because I thought it was full of fart humor... what do I know?

I also need a project sand/media blasted shortly. I have someone lined up that has a mobile set up, so that should work out great for me.

30. You will have to join the HAMB Old Farts' Club for that. icon_lol.gif HRP