Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Lee Pratt '40

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Lee Pratt '40

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. khead47

khead47

Prettiest car Henry ever built!

i.rant likes this.
  3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Wow, she is looking good these days.

4. Albeit your loss your writing stamina is at 100%, as usual.
    Gorgeous car.

need louvers ? likes this.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pretty sure that is MY favorite in his stable as well! I haven't looked at Pat Ganahl's article in TRJ in years, but doesn't it start with something like "It was supposed to be purple..." I remember the story being the base goat went down and it was decided that it should stay! Good call. I also remember it having an Olds for power, but the small block is equally cool in my book.

I love how this car blurs the line between custom and hot rod without going to far over to either side. That is a major hard thing to do! To much "custom" and the "Hot rod" disappears, to much "hot rod" and there is no way of "custom" working. This one nails it!

6. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Had a chance to see it live at Pete and Jakes's for the 40th anniversary weekend. In fact I was parked next to it Friday afternoon and evening. It's very striking in person.

7. jroberts

jroberts

An absolutely gorgeous automobile, no doubt about it. Glad to have you back, Ryan.

8. I love his '40 but then '40 Coupes have been at the top of my list of best looking hot rods since I was a little kid. Glad you're back, Ryan. It will get incrementally easier to deal with as time goes by. Take it a day at a time and remember all of the great memories. The pain never goes away completely, the edges just get a little less sharp as the years go by.

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Welcome back, Ryan. It looks like the combination of car, camera, lighting and photographer were perfectly in tune that night, and I'm glad we're able to witness the fruits of that effort.

10. I think by the approach you are taking, you will have got back on that horse
    without realizing you did. Perhaps something you didn't need to "try" to do.

Great car, write up and pictures

11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one FINE looking hot rod.

12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That '40 is the definition of cool, when built and now. Glad to see you back on your horse. {Flowmeister: I didn't mean to borrow your metaphor... I just hunt and peck real slow}

13. mgbtc

mgbtc

Beautiful 40. Glad your are kind of back. It just takes time.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto.

Outstanding feature Boss. Like the tormented, hard-drinking writer, your anquish does not affect your work.
    Great having you back.

15. your dad lives on in you, and the generations to follow....live on.
    i always liked cars like this, you called them "casual", i think they have the look of the original car but with custom touches that make you know it is a hot rod. It is the unknown about how "hot rodded" it is......until you line up next to it and wait for the flag to drop that makes me like it and yet it could be put back to stock.

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear from ya bro.

17. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

It takes a while to get over (or should I say - "learn to live with") a significant lose of family.

I think those WWW w/Olds Fiestas say "hey, look at me"!! Gorgeous car.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Welcome back Keep pluggin' away to take your mind off of it.

I really like the 39 Deluxe...Swing out WS, floor shift. I saw one 30 years ago at Hershey that I can't get out of my mind. An un-restored survivor that was a great beater!!!

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Welcome back ,Ryan.I've always found that channeling my sorrow into something creative tends to give it more meaning and substance.Keep on keepin' on.

20. NoSurf

NoSurf

Nice shots brother.

21. Bitchin' Forty!

I've admired it ever since it appear in The Rodder's Journal Number Thirteen:

TRJ 13 Front Cover.JPG TRJ 13 Back Cover.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    WillyKJr likes this.
  22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

One of my all time favorite Henry models. AND...an absolutely cool car! BTW, welcome back.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

While the car itself is nice, what really gets my attention is the quality of the photographs that was taken with camera setup that's over 50 years old. Amazing!

24. Very cool. One of the reasons I regretted not being able to make it up to the Pete & Jake's 40th open house.

25. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great write up.........We met him this past year at the P&J's open house.....it was funny that my father and him 'hit it off', because he might have known about one of his previous cars in small town America in Kansas.......it was pretty cool how humble he was about what he has built over the years and I tried to remember 'word for word' his story's. Legend. I wish that I could have asked for him to sign something stupid, but I didn't have the gut's to be "that guy". RULER! as GERM used to say.......

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Oh yea, and his '40 was covered in bugs..........his cars are drivers. @Ryan, didn't you ride with him to Salina a couple of years back.

27. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

Beautiful. Where did you find a roll of film?

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Glad you're back, Ryan, and your writing is working just fine.

Lee is a really nice man, and he builds exceptionally tasty cars. I hope he finishes a new one some day soon.

29. pumpman

pumpman

No kidding, I was thinking the same damn thing. Great to have ya back boss.

30. EarlyFordV8

EarlyFordV8
    from Dallas

Gorgeous 40 ...but a Ford in a Ford is more better.