Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A's, where are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scar, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Scar

Scar

Ford made 4,849,340 Model A's. You would think they would be everywhere.
    So, why is it so hard to find one in pretty decent shape for a decent price???
    I spend at least 4 hours a night looking at all the usual websites for a nice driver.
    I guess they've all been chopped up for rat rods and streetrods.
    I never would have thought it would be so hard to find a nice driver in my
    price range. Uuggghhh!

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Get off your computer and go out to the smaller towns in your area and look! They really ARE out there, and not too uncommon to find. I know you just posted this same thread a little bit back and got the same advice, but it hasn't changed in the last month. Even if you find a guy that has the "wrong" Model "A", ask him. He knows someone that HAAS the car you are looking for. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but get off the computer, hit the bushes and look.

You might try a buddy of mine that owns a business geared to Model "A"s specifically. It called Arizona Model "A" at 480-782-0266. Sammy knows folks all over the world, and he might know of what you want closer to you.

3. Bart78

Bart78

Tons of them in this neck of the woods. Kind of a over looked area for just about everything.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

They are on every website that I look at, at reasonable prices.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Ohio has plenty at reasonable prices...

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

There are plenty of Model A's, I looked at a 30 tudor that a guy bought about three weeks ago for $2500. The car still had the glass and interior in it, stock motor will turn over, had one rough front fender and needed running boards replaced. A restored pickup sold here for $10000 a couple of month ago and the same guy has a 31 panel truck for sale, don't remember the price. They are still out there, go to MAFCA web site and look it over. Check with local antique car clubs a lot of Model A owners are getting old and selling their cars.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe your price range is too low.

8. Bart78

Bart78

Some areas are picked pretty clean. Just put the word out your looking. I have a few insurance guys that do policy's for farms and ranches. They keep a eye out. And ask the people about selling it. There's a lot of leg work. But eventually it will pay off. Plus a lot of the prices you see online are marked up from what they payed. People need to make money.

9. So, why is it so hard to find one in pretty decent shape for a decent price???

Because the computer usually isn't a good way to buy or shop, its a better way to sell. It maximizes the quantity of viewers and the sellers know that will increase revenue and profits. Hence you are a buyer who's looking into a pool of sellers who have stacked the odds against you. Yes you can find what or anything you want at their price though. That's also because it takes work to beat the bushes and walk swaps to find the treasures, those finders will list on the Internet expecting profits for their efforts of finding and listing what you are looking for.

Every once in a while though, a score pops up. If you are in the right place at the right time and ready to jump you can get lucky. It's kinda like winning the lottery vs working and planning for retirement.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

See, 31Vicky with a hemi has the right idea!

11. Scar

Scar

I'm sure they're out there.
    I get out and ride around looking for them. If they're around, no one seems to know about them.
    I've asked everyone I know that has old cars but around here, everyone
    buys their old cars from other states, usually off the internet. That's where I've always had
    to buy my old cars for the last 15 yrs.
    I've asked all the local car clubs as well, but most everyone in my area have cars from the 50's
    to the 70's. They aren't interested in the old ones.
    I do have a friend that has one, but he's asking too much for it. It needs a total resto, and he's
    wanting $7500 firm. IMO, that's too much for a car that needs paint, interior, glass, tires,
    king pins,and all of the nickel replated.

12. So ask some folks you don't know then.

Chances are you'll not find one in a garage or backyard of a suburban sprawl area. Your odds would be better in areas / neighbor hoods that are older such as prewar and early 50s . Find that area and get a haircut at the local barber shop.

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

The Internet is full of restored ones for $10-$15K. That's often cheaper than starting off with a wreck. The restorers are getting old and their cars are coming up daily.
    About 10% survived so there are nearly 500,000 out there in one form or another.
    The cheapest route to a roadster is often a take out frame and a Brookville body. Coupes and sedans are easy to find restored.

14. Maybe put a Craigslist wanted ad up like this guy did:

"WANTED: 1928 or 1929 Ford Model A Tudor sedan

Looking preferably for a 1928 Ford tudor sedan. A 1929 will also be considered.
    Would prefer one that is a running, driving car with no rust. It doesn't have to
    be perfectly restored."

o_O

15. camerl2009

camerl2009

rust time(when they got old some were simply crushed) and hot rods/racing have taken the numbers down a lot

16. daddylama

daddylama

I see older restorations pop up for sale around here often.
    craigslist only seems to have people fishing for someone to bite at the crazy prices... model a restorers clubs and early ford / model a swap meets have good deals here... usually by meeting restorers and getting them to think you're looking to restore. never, ever mention "hot rod" or whatever they have for sale either doubled in price our is no longer for sale...

17. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

My problem is I have found some really good deals online... until a shipping quote from various carriers get received. That is why I have not bought online.

18. camerl2009

camerl2009

I live in one of the oldest areas of my city nothing to be had here anything that is solid runs and drives gets restored(I can't say I would not do the same) if its a hot rod or R rod already I would mess with it

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

20. I have a backyard full. Wanna buy one?

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

heres 3, I have 3 more. They are easy to find. Stop whining and ask everyone you talk to. Talk to kids and old ladies but mostly talk to A owners because we know everyone who has more

Attached Files:

• 3As.jpg
      3As.jpg
      File size:
      868.8 KB
      Views:
  22. Muttley

Muttley

They really aren't hard to find at all. My Dad bought this one (in stock form) a couple of years ago for $7,000 and there are many available for quite a bit less than that if you look hard enough.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Think yourself lucky you in the land of milk and honey where these cars seem to be a hell of a lot more common than over here, hell I found my 28 Tudor in my small home town here and paid $1200 for it, good deal, I also know where there are 3 more for sale within an hours drive, bottom line is start driving the back roads, ask vintage car guys and generally get off your ass and get looking..

24. I have one I sold, the new owner bought something else and asked if I could re-sell, and it's still for sale, thought I had a bite last week, guy called, said he'd call the next day to come see it around 2:00, no call, no show.

25. I can't believe anyone would say Model A's are hard to find. Maybe I have a different idea of 'hard to find?' I mean, we're not talking about parts for a Moon or something.

Sometimes you have to go more that 10 miles and look under a few more rocks to buy things that are 85 years old.

26. I agree @X38 .. I mean.. hes in America for gods sake. Can't be that fuckin hard. I'm sure if i lived over there i'd be finding Model A's once a week. Its hard enough finding parts over this side and yet i seem to find things when i need them..

This guy aint lookin hard enough.

27. Bart78

Bart78

I think there are more out there than people think. Every year a few new ones pop up around here. When a old man or women passes. It was stuck in their barn or something for the past 50 years. Keep a pocket full of cash with you. You never know where you will run into one. It's best to buy it when you see it. It's sat for so long no one has interest in it. But if you ask and need to come back. It gives the people more time to think. Or worse say something to their useless kid that wants every dime they can get out of anything.

Turbo26T likes this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you can't find a Model A, you can't find your ass with your hand.

Seriously, I looked up your town (pop. 3300). You're in a rural area triangulated by Louisville, St.Louis, Nashville. It seems like perfect hunting grounds to me. A's are everywhere. Be glad you're not looking for a tough make.

4+ hours every night on the internet x 7 days=30 hours.

That's a weekend or a 3 day weekend ROAD TRIP, with;
    Truck and trailer.
    Handful of cash.
    Some leads or pre called appointments to work in.
    Pack a cooler. Cheap room on the fly.

Talk to lots of folks. Stop for fuel, snacks every chance you feel someone might be worth talking to. Ask for directions a lot (even if you don't need them) and work "old car project" into the conversation. Knock on doors.
    "Driving around and looking for them". Finding a car sitting out in plain view nets you cars that are not for sale/priced at bottom fishing prices. If they were for sale at a great price, they would already be in someone's project garage.

What body style and price range are you set on?
    I looked at some C/L ads in your areas and there's plenty of reasonable A's.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  29. Here's a sure fire way to get leads. -

Stop for fuel with one on a trailer and you will be approached by someone who has one they want rid of. Happens to me every time.

30. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Try living in Alaska.