Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects model A coupe build from Down under New Zealand

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by whitewallwilly, Jun 23, 2014.

1. chiro

chiro

Where did you get those scoops for the carbs? Car looks great

2. brady1929

brady1929

Nice job on the coupe

3. cool build man i love back to basic rods like this particularly A coupes inspired from the 50s-60s era too my T coupe is a slightly modern twist of that era too, possibly earlier, but got a little bit of kandy paint here and there but nothing too crazy lol basic cream body colour though keep up the good work will be following this

4. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Winters QC centre,bell tubes,Boling bros 12"Lincoln drum brakes with 9" ford axles
    Cheers

5. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks ,I'm really enjoying building this car ,

6. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Picked them up at the swap meet at the Bakersfield hotrod reunion couple years ago,I looked at all the online catalogue scoops and air cleaners avaliable ,didn't spin my wheels ,
    I believe they were made to be used on boats as spark arrestors,I may be wrong,if anyone knows if this is correct or not please comment
    Cheers

7. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Yep,This build is guna be back to basic,keeping it simple,I want to end up with a reliable fun car that can be driven,
    Cheers

8. Christom

Christom

Gotta say I really like where you're going with this build. Nice work mate! Also lovin' the old school worshop - the ultimate man cave for sure......
    I'll be keeping an eye/ear out for this one when it's on the road - we have a bach on SH30 Lake Rotoiti.

9. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hey man,thanks for the comments,the workshop is my home away from home ,I built it over several years ,
    like most people in this deal ,the workshop is always a work in progress,always hanging up shit round the walls from swap meets etc,
    Send me a PM next time your up at rotoiti,
    Pretty damm nice build yourself,

10. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Got all the floor panels out,ready for new ones last week,again my good mate Surtz helped us out ,he has all the gear at his shop for doing this,so I loaded the car up and droped it to him, image.jpg I'm using the origanil seat and seat base,I have shifted the seat base back about 4",and bolted it thru the floor,it has a screw adjuster knob that allows about 4" of travel ,perfect!! image.jpg Surtz Got the floor pretty much all done an dusted,the body is now back on and tightened down,
    all the wood packers have been set up to shim the body to chassis gaps, image.jpg
    The front and rear shock mounts have also been welded on ,steer column drop sorted and made a hinged bracket from the firewall to dash so as to fit the regulator,coil etcetera ,so if I need to I can undo couple bolts and have easy access , image.jpg back in the shop today,got a list as long as my arm to get thru,damm list seems to get longer every day

11. Cool build...where did you get your floor panels? I need to replace mine as well. Seem pretty cheap thru snyders but will prob get stung big time on freight..anyone have cheap panels in NZ?

12. Have them made or get them shipped via Kiwi Shipping, by far a cheaper option than getting raped by FedEx in Auckland with their bullshit fees. I buy most my parts off Snyders, bloody good service.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

37coupeute likes this.
  13. Heading over to trog and Hershey in a couple of months. Will be loading up on Model A parts so shipping shouldn't be too bad. Just wondered if anyone made them locally cheap here in nz.. I agree, snyders have been good to me so far..

14. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Yer snyders have been real good to deal with ,brought a lot of stuff off them last year while over there,but as the norm , there is always stuff either you didn't think you needed at the time,or stuff you thought you might get local
    ,I've had great dealings with Derek down in Nelson,he seems like a great guy,not many people take you on face value anymore and send you the parts with a invoice to pay when you get the parts,he's got a lot of modelA parts their ,
    The panels for the floor were folded etc by my mate Surtz in his shop in Kawarau .theres not much he can't do,he building a model A roadster PU at the moment,the body is totally alloy,that includes the cowl,doors,tray,the lot,

burnzy37 likes this.
  15. sharpmark

sharpmark

looking good ,PJ.
    I've dealt a lot with Derek, for parts for the pickup an the roadster and can highly recommend him as well.
    he posts on here every now and then and sells a wicked model A and v8 quick change setup.

ps - those hinges are a bit gay!!! lucky they'll be hidden!

Outback likes this.
  16. Look'in real good.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. krazee

krazee

Can someone give me contact details for Derek from Nelson for model A parts.

18. sharpmark

sharpmark

Antique ford parts ---Derek and Judy Thomason ph/fax 035447826
    this should work!

hope I haven't broken any rules?

19. krazee

krazee

Thanks

20. Christom

Christom

Same here - got my floor panels (and raised trunk floor) done locally by Norm at SheetFab in Palmy. The advantage for me was I had a flat panel made for under the seat for extra clearance for the torque tube and exhaust etc. Pretty simple stuff for any decent sheetmetal shop. Rolling in some swages helps with strength and looks kinda factory too.

burnzy37 likes this.
  21. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Been ticking away at that list ,managed to score some cool gauges ,the gauges below are aparantly from a 34 Buick ??, I'm thinking bout using the outer gauges ,not the speedo, but using the police special speedo in the pic 2 down,any advice or hints in hooking em up would be appreciated,speedo drive is mechanical from the Muncie ,how do I work out speedo gearbox drive gear ratio ,I know the plastic gears are multi colour, I'm running 1 to 1 in top with 750.16 rear tires, image.jpg image.jpg Going to mount the 5" speedo in centre of dash,and the two other gage sets,water/gas and amp/oil pressure either side of the speedo,I'm probably going to mount them with no gauge surround ,just straight into the dash,
    also got the floor boards done ,they just need a vanish or stain image.jpg got the radiator all mounted and just sorting bonnet and side panel clearances so I can run with or without bonnet etc, image.jpg image.jpg next job is the exhaust ,kinda like this style in pic below,with straight pipes with caps on ,dumping out in front of the rear wheels ,but with mufflers mounted up either side of the driveshaft ,between the ladder bars and the driveshaft,and exiting out over the top of the diff to the rear pan
    Any thoughts ,ideas ,or pics would be great image.jpg Shock mounts all done image.jpg My good mate Bear(36DD build on HAMB) painted the hubcaps,made a great job ,it's amazing how steady a good sign writers hand can be after a few drinks ,thanks bear,:) image.jpg

Attached Files:

22. sharpmark

sharpmark

hey PJ- looking good!! be interested to see what you going to do with the bonnet an the generator???
    on the 28 , mine is hanging out in the wind along way.
    typical police speedo------ it's already doing 10mph standing still ;);)

23. ausbuick

ausbuick

cool work mate!!!

24. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

I'm also hanging it out the side as well,no problem with just the hood in place,but I'm thinking maybe a alloy bubble on the left hand side panel,I've checked clearances an It won't need to be to big ,I'm sure I can get it to look okay,

25. afaulk

afaulk

Awesome job you're doing there! I noticed the (top) label on the front tunnel section and realized that it's important to keep things in their proper perspective, what with everything being upside down where you live...........:p

26. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Haven't posted for awhile,so here's an update,
    got the gauges mounted in the dash,used the local guy here with one of them new fangled water jet cutters to cut three holes for the gauges, what a hell of a piece of gear , so accurate didn't even need to take a file outa the tool box, image.jpg made up the exhausts,used 2.5" tubing,I didn't want to go the lakes header deal,I really liked the alternative which I had seen on the rolling bones cars, image.jpg I've still got to route a pipe of up under the body an thru a muffler to exit out the back,that's this weeks job, image.jpg also got all the brakes bleed ,no leaks at this stage and a good pedal ,spent a heap of time on some of those small pain in the arse jobs,fuel filter/pump mounting ,running fuel lines,generator mounted,,radaitor hoses ,bonnet and cowl alignment ,etc
    I'm headin over to California next week to attend the hot rod reunion at Bakersfield ,as well as hoping to get to El Mirage,a hot rod run up in Kernville ,and also tick off the shopping list of parts etc as we go,,
    Really hoping that I will be able to drive the model A outa the garage in a couple months if all goes to plan,

Attached Files:

27. sharpmark

sharpmark

great work as per usual pete.
    safe travels

28. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Gauge install looks good.

29. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods

Damn there are a lot of very talented people on this forum . I can barely open a can of chicken noodle soup . Coupe is looking great.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. Really nice job, love watching this build, might inspire me to do some mods:)