Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Street Is Neater In A Beater. Let's See Yours.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by missysdad1, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tguptill

tguptill
    from Maine

7-26-14 the bed is back on! 004.jpg This is what she looks like now!

BHoover likes this.
  2. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Love my beater....drove him about 100 miles yesterday, cruising the back roads. I had the thought when I bought it that someday it would have a slick paint job and be show quality...now, though, I know I enjoy driving it without fearing damage way too much to make it show quality. Plus, I'm sure a high dollar paint job wouldn't go well with the dirt roads we find ourselves on oftentimes....

Attached Files:

BHoover likes this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

It's a beater but most of the time I call it a POS. IMG_0027.JPG

30tudor likes this.
  4. Harry,have you finally got all the bugs worked out ? HRP

Just read your signature,,If it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    wazza likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I think so, Just need to change the fuel pressure gauge.

Wow I haven't heard that song in a while.

6. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406493468.025314.jpg

My beater. Drive it all over.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Some of yalls "beaters" look like my version of a finishrd show car... Here's ours, original interior held together w tape, old crappy paint and a halfway decent set of Cragars. Im trying to take this one past beater status, but we're not scared enjoy it in the meantime.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Outback, Animal and slammed like this.
  8. My '26 Dodge Brothers Beater SRT........................... :D

Attached Files:

9. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Still astounded.

11. moval57wagon

moval57wagon
    from So Cal

Here's our beaters. The 57 Chevy is mine and the 55 Pontiac is my wife's. 57 Chevy Ours 2 door 210 wagon.JPG Wagons 003.jpg

12. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Ha! now I know who owns it...kinda, sorta. Cool coupe.

I work in Warren as well.

13. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

HAMBDrags2011129.jpg
    This is our heap. I drive it every day, unless it's super cold out (no heater yet) it's great in the rain, and it drives Johnny wishbone CRAZY. it sits outside all day at work, and if it rains all day, it'll start right up, and run fine !! makes him crazy!
    we drive it to nostalgia drag racing events, all over the Midwest, and Cheryl beats on it all weekend, with no mercy!!!
    we take it on vacation, and haul junk in it.. she has made 103 passes in one weekend ! (that's gotta be a world record)
    it's got a 327 in it , Cheryl (girl friend) built about 7 +/- years ago..
    I drive the orange car to work some days, but the stupid thing is sort of loud, and I don't want the neighbors to hate me too much. although it is nice on hot days, because it has A/C. they are getting used to it, and my new neighbor likes it, so I might start driving it to work more..

flat150 likes this.
  14. IMAG0403.jpg I consider my 59' a beater. It hauls a bunch of junk around, and in fact I just won best daily driver in a local car show.

15. Did you ever get it running right?Thanks Bruce.

16. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

17. Shoot, I've been driving beaters since 1973. They definitely rule, something to be said about a car you can drive and park everywhere without worrying about a scratch on it. Put all the money into the "go" and very little into the "show".

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

I won't call bullshit on a few of these (beater? really?), but I thought about it. :D

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<-------- My '32 buckboard , has been my favorite beater for the last 42 years.Would never want her any other way! I too ,have never had a "finished" rod. For me its beat it,break it,fix it,then beat it some more.Not abuse,just hard runnin' fun.

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

First real drive was Friday..
    [​IMG]

Kustomism likes this.
  21. Ken,the wagon turned out great,I'm sure you are stoked! HRP

22. I always thought of my 40 as a driver. It had nice paint about 30 years ago, but after all the years and miles it's showing its age and getting a little rough around the edges. I never really thought of it as a beater, but if Gray's deuce was a beater, then I guess mine is too! :)

bchrismer likes this.
  23. missysdad1

missysdad1

Several people who have posted here seem to have "beaters" and "rat rods" mixed up. The only way to tell a beater from any other hot rod or custom is by the odometer and the inevitable road rash. Oh...and by the bug-eating grin on the owner's face.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    bchrismer likes this.
  24. missysdad1

missysdad1

Gray drove his roadster regularly - California freeway traffic and all - right up to the end. Faded red paint (often referred to lovingly as Baskerville Red), primer spots, aged Atlas Bucron tires, paint chips and all, his Deuce was the quintessential beater. He even parked it in the "Petersen pit" - outside, beside the building - on a regular basis. I don't think the thing even had a top.

And, unlike many of today's rodders, he enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. Yup, it got rear-ended once, but did Gray cry about it? Hell, no, he just went about fixing it so's he could get back on the road.

His point when coining the phrase "street is neater in a beater" was that hot rods should be about driving, not about polishing.

25. If I remember correctly his mother in law backed into the roadster. HRP

26. This was my daily driver beater thru the late 70's. HRP

[​IMG]

BONNEVILLE BOB 95 and bchrismer like this.
  27. Good thing that "road rash" was listed, as well as the odometer, because my odo is stuck at 499 in my coupe. The front of my rear fenders and bottoms of my doors and rear quarter panels have freckles due to the old rubber coming off the running boards at highway speeds.

Street is Neat but...Beater is Neater!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    OL 55 likes this.
  28. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I hate to call it a beater, it's my only old car. But I drive the crap out of it! I go back and forth on this topic. I want it to stay really nice, but I love to drive it as much as I can. I could die tomorrow, then I'd be like "why didn't I drive that everyday!" Assuming I'm in some kind of afterlife or haunting someone... I know it's not the most valuable car on the planet, but still. Keep on Truckin'.

[​IMG]

29. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Mine may look like a finished rod. i have about $2500.00 in the shiny paint that looks good form 10 feet.
    It is shrinking, showing sand scratches, chips etc. I drive it to work, the store, take my kids to hockey and football practice in it.. etc.
    I just had a conversation with someone yesterday at a local little show, and he called my paint "patina" not sure if it fits but i was thinking a painting it again but I do not ever want to get to where i am afraid to drive or lean on it etc.
    Interior is not finished; door panels are the ones my father made in the late 70's, blanket seat cover and rug from a bargain store for a carpet....it is fun to drive, I can pick up anyone any time to ride in the rumble seat, although they need to take their football spikes off first.
    I don’t even wash it for most shows are cruise nights..

Attached Files: