Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Street Is Neater In A Beater. Let's See Yours.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by missysdad1, Jul 25, 2014.

1. missysdad1

missysdad1

Gray Baskerville  Roadster.jpg Every so often my mind wanders - usually while doing some dull chore as I was today, scraping the age-hardened grease from the bottom side of my new-to-me F-1 project - and settles on some totally irrelevant memory from my long and checkered past.

Today for no apparent reason I couldn't get the phrase "street is neater in a beater" - a well-travelled Gray Baskerville-ism - out of my head. Yeah, my F-1 is gonna be a beater in the same way as Gray's roadster was: not an only car, but a favorite one to be driven as often as possible in all kinds of circumstances...even if it collects dirt and dings in the process.

Perhaps that was the connection, but whatever the link I got to wondering how many H.A.M.B. members consider their hot rods or customs "beaters" as Gray did of his deuce - a term of endearment, not ridicule.

So I thought I'd start a new thread here on the H.A.M.B. and ask the question: Do you consider your ride a "beater"...and if so, why?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    BONNEVILLE BOB 95 likes this.
  2. slammed

slammed

This w/a 307+.60 over put=put (interstate) goes all over the midwest. Magazines are for information and then it's time to hit the pavement for real, or just post ho' all the day (no work?) & night bench wrench'n.

Attached Files:

Muttley likes this.
  3. Beaters is all I ever owned. I am old and would like to have the creature comfort things but I don't but I just pick the things I want to do. If it's going to be TOO hot I don't go, simple as that.
    Later,
    Dick

4. I consider both my Deuces beaters HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Beater Bucket! When I first finished my T Bucket, plans were to drive it for a while and get a sweet, glossy black finish. I even had it Photo Shopped in black. That never happened. I was just having too much fun. Then, it got in an accident.

While waiting for the settlement, my thoughts were to get it painted, since it was all taken apart. Got the settlement, rebuilt and have not looked back. Now, I'm not even thinking about it. The gelcoat finish is still holding up. It's got a few scratches and I'm just too rough to own a fine, finished machine. Well, finished to my standards.

So, she'll keep the beater status. Until I start a new project. Maybe.....or not. Chicks LOVE beaters.

[​IMG]

VoodooTwin and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

[​IMG]
    I drive my beater truck as often as I can, for whatever chore that needs to be done. It somehow puts me into a simpler and slower frame of mind. Most likely because it has no radio, no creature comforts, and requires total concentration, both hands and both feet to drive, unlike most vehicles today that basically drive themselves. I like the feeling it gives me.

Malcolm, Muttley and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. skinnydude

skinnydude

H R P don't know you but have followed you through these pages and don't think either one of your rides qualify in beater classes.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 49 is a beater and I love it. If I ever get my foot healed up, I'm going to finish the rear suspension, lower the front and drive the wheels off of it.

20140412_150519_resized_2.jpg 20140412_150535_resized_3.jpg

9. squirrel

squirrel

They all are. I don't want a car I can't drive whenever I feel like it. Even the new one <--- gets driven out of town in the rain

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

scan0002.jpg He drive 'em, so he can call them what he wants! Back when Basket Case coined the phrase, anything finished in primer (flat, 'cause nobody Painted flat back then) would have been called a beater automatically.

Now, as for me, My stuff has ALWAYS been beaters. I am guilty of the "We'll just put this on the road and drive it for a bit before blow apart and paint" syndrome that keeps going! My cars are daily drivers, too, so not getting too bent out of shape about fixing the forth major accident the Plymouth has been in has to be considered as well. If it was painted, there would have been a trail of dead bodies at this point! SAM_6170.JPG scan0001.jpg

Outback, volvobrynk and Muttley like this.
  11. cs39ford

cs39ford

IMG_0417.JPG IMG_0418.JPG IMG_0416.JPG Here s mine drive it all the time except winter when she takes a 4 month nap Put her together in 1990 and still going strong

12. ...been drivin this just like this almost 12 years...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

29 sedan almost 001.JPG black 29 spring time 002.JPG I have always owned beaters and proud of it...

14. Thank you,but my definition of a beater is a unfinshed car that gets driven on a regular basis and probably will never sport a interior or nice paint.

My pickup does have a coat of S.G. black but lacks a interior...

My sedan was originally green when new but I was told it was painted black in 1962,and the fenders were repaired and shot in flat black 15 years ago,this car also does not have a interior.

The top is still original and really showing its age as are the 82 year old vulcanized running boards that are cracked and crumbling. HRP

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

What some consider a beater astounds me.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, I know a former AMBR winner that still owns his car 30 some odd years later, drives it hard and calls it his beater. It's getting a bit rough around the edges, but still is an astounding piece. If he says it's a beater, and he is the one racking the mileage, I'll bite, it's a beater!

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Scooterville, '41 Chevy coupes get me every time! Nice!

Scooterville likes this.
  18. My DD (3 door suburban) misses the mark for "on topic" by a couple years here but she's a proud beater. My finished cars are probably what most would call beater though. Sure is nice to park where ever the hell I want to.

19. Thanks Louvers!

20. AJNapierski

AJNapierski
    from G.V. CA

I think beater simply means built to be driven, not built to be looked at although you do get some looks anyway

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's probably very simple. "All go. Some show."

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I love beaters and will never own a completely finished vehicle ever again. Spending 4 hours on a creeper polishing the underside of your ride is stupid...been there, done that...never again.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gets me down the road:
    [​IMG]

Muttley likes this.
  24. missysdad1

missysdad1

To my mind, what makes a beater isn't so much about what it is as to how it's used. The guy you refer to, Chip, obviously "gets it". Kudos ta' him! Let's see some more!

25. daddylama

daddylama

i've got 4 kids. they beat everything i own... does that count? :D

years ago i had a show car. "too nice" to actually drive it. never really enjoyed the thing, once the build was done.

26. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 59 just after I got it sprayed in primer. Rattlecan paintjob on wheels, frame, under hood, interior. Drove it a bunch until the original 3 speed transmission wore out. Things snowballed from there to Camaro clip, V8, Automatic, all done so I can enjoy driving it even more when I get it back on the road, but paint is still a long way off.

27. eazzrider

eazzrider
    from oklahoma

1949.JPG 00k0k_h4GHJp3SJeQ_600x450.jpg All mine are beaters