Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Henderson Fifty One (removable HT shoebox)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Eric H, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks, FinnRodder. Proper outside pics will be coming soon. I have left my new fuel pump off on purpose so that I would work on it instead of driving it lol. Sounds crazy but when it runs all I want to do is drive it.

2. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Merc bullets mounted but still require some minor finishing.

daddio211 likes this.
  3. Looks good!

4. I absolutely love everything you are doing on this? Any chance you will bring it to the Jalopy Jam Up?

5. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks a lot guys, it really feels like it's coming together at last. When is the Jam Up Mitchell?

6. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Great project. Looking good

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Thanks. I got her running today for the first time since I put the two pot Fenton intake on. Out to the street to see it in the sun.

Kustom.Falcon and daddio211 like this.
  8. Looks great! Is it going to get paint eventually?

9. Eric H

Eric H

Paint for sure! I want to finish the mods and get all my gaps as good as possible for a shoebox first. I am thinking black but am open to suggestions.

10. Eric H

Eric H

So far I have managed to stick to a cut off date of 1954. The 54 ford grill halves, 54 Windsor lower grill bar and the 54 cad caps are the newest parts on the car. I still need to lower the front as well, I still want the nose up so I may need to lower the rear some more but we will see. I am still debating what direction to go with the tail lights, the rear view is killing me and it seems like the look much worse after removing the multitude of crap from the trunk lid. They appear to be extra far apart eyes that have a sad look to them. I have the ass end of a 54 merc in my basement but I think that would be a little much and take away from its shoeboxness.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

'53-'54 Pontiac tail lights would be nice.

[​IMG]

12. Eric H

Eric H

I could not agree more but I have already drawn too much inspiration from Rob's car. They are also very hard to find in good condition.

13. Eric H

Eric H

image.jpg Installed my Lincoln door button on the drivers door and got everything welded up.

daddio211 likes this.
  14. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

How about '50 or '51 Studebaker lenses, turned horizontally and frenched? Uncommon pieces in a custom, but pretty easy to find. They differ in profile, but the mating surface is identical.

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

There are also 1947-49 Studebaker lenses that were originally mounted horizontally that might be pleasing. In all cases, you'd have to work out how to mount them if you aren't using the stock bezels (sp?).

19. Those Lincoln buttons are killer!

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

By the way, you made the right choice in ditching the Kaiser grille bar. Your solution is much more pleasing. Fills out the opening much better, and looks so old-school perfect. Did you come up with that combination on your own?

21. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

You could always just ditch the chrome windsplit covers and super wide 51 tail lights and put in the tail lights from the 49 or 50. Then just fill the mounting holes on the quarter panels.

I swapped the big 51 lights for the 49/50 ones and I am much happier. A simple idea.

22. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks, but it was first used on Bob Dufflows 49 and then on Rob Radcliffe's 50. Both are inspiring cars to say the least.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  23. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks, I have been hoarding them for years.

24. Eric H

Eric H

This is most likely the direction I will go for now. You can't go wrong with 49/50 lights.

25. 'Mo

'Mo

I really like what you're doing.
    Any other planned changes (side trim, headlights,...)?
    Are you already running twin pipes, and have the twin carbs affected the car's manners?

26. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks Mo. Future plans include extending the leading edge of the hood to match the grill shell, welding the fenders to the cowl with all four hood corners rounded. I think I will leave the headlights for now. She still needs duals but the intake/carbs have actually created a much smoother/powerful ride. It is a fordamatic and used to be a bit of a dog with the stock intake. The trim will stay for now as well, I like to do a few things and get it one color then sit back and stare at it for a few months.

27. BRENT

BRENT

My vote is for those killer 78 Pontiac Parisienne taillights...free for you my friend. Looks great Eric, go for a drive with you soon.

28. Eric H

Eric H

Only if I can use the interior as well.

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats true,i have 49-50 tail lights on my '51 and frenched.I bought a pair of Lee lenses for them,i guess they look a bit better than originals.
    The OEM 51's are just too wide for my eyes.

[​IMG]