Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The HAMB Drags 2003... Were you there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve

didn't make it. Wish I had though

2. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Made it there and too all.
    I remember the planning Ryan was going through and he was so nervous with what for most thought was a one time gathering. Sodbuster printed two welcome signs, I snatched one off the gate at closing and had it hanging proudly in my shop for years.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

This has been mentioned yet; During one of the first HAMB DRAGS, the Ramada was hosting an AA Conference inside while the entire parking-lot was drinking and Hellions outside. Here's a shot of the Junk Brothers having a little fun at one of the first events. Again, notice the lack of spectators and the timing tower has not been relocated.

Attached Files:

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Not 2003 but a few years ago. Zorba's Ghost.

I still have the fastest truck, brother.

John

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been to all of them. I remember that after 2003, the host hotel kind of politely asked us not to return. I think that sort of set the tone for all the HAMB Drags that followed.

-Abone.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

wingnutz likes this.
  6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Didnt Freddie build the give away engine? (do not remember his HAMB name). not around anymore I believe.

7. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I was there in '03 and '10...plan to make event again this year.

8. Sure coulda been. :D Management came out and complained about the mini bikes, but they didn't stop them from having us back the next year.

I traded someone's coupe to those same old people for a cheese burger and fries that same year. They said they really couldn't take the car afterward, I was relieved since it wasn't my car to start with. :D

9. Yeah, and for several years afterward too.
    METALSHAPES was sporting a model A roadster with a McCollough {sp] blown smallblock and one of the rockers came loose on Sat night. Freddy adjusted it for him and the engine was fine.
    Mel showed up with her 59 Dodge...

Attached Files:

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was the first pass I ever made at Mo-Kan. 13.40. Hard to believe that little car is three seconds and 30 mph faster these days....

[​IMG]

See you in August, -Abone.

chryslerfan55 and '40 Coupe Fan like this.
  11. I remember that! After that run you asked me 'What do I do to get this thing into the 12s?" I remember I didn't have a good answer. But you did.....the new motor with the 6-71 blower got you into the 10s eventually.
    Remember Gordini was gonna put Sam Strube's [Samiam] roadster on the trailer? Was a HAMB publiced grudge match but Sam's little roadster ran great! Gordini's small block 292 still had bugs to work out with the fuel system.
    Here's a photo of the sign on the gate...thanks, Chris! dragsgordini.jpg dragssign.jpg

MO_JUNK and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. I think it was '04 so this is off topic for sure but the car that really did it for me was from New York, it came in behind a vintage Ford tow truck. It was called Tetanus or something like that. Rocky maybe you remember the car? He swapped lanes before the 60' mark and took out a tie rod end.

13. One of the first ones I was at I was in awe of the guy that drove the old chevy schoolie cut down with a ramp bed on it from the North East with the race car on it. That had to be a very long ride in that vehicle, looked to be stock drivetrain. That is when I realized that this crowd is serious. I don't even remember the race car, just the bus/truck.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Remember the Vultures white coveralls ?

MO_JUNK likes this.
  15. Zors moonshine. Last batch from his late uncle I believe.

See moonshine, add Triumph+flashlight=2AM drags

The great Ramblur race-off is epic. We had a ton of fun with the BBQ. My best memory was about mid morning and Doc Cochran walking up as I manned the smoker rig. His reply made my day. "Not bad for a Yankee!" ;)

16. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Yes, I do and I was impressed. So much that I would still like to own a pair or two today. I have often thought of having some to take to Bonneville.

Remember our Poker Run. That was fun. It was the last of that style of that diversion that I organized. After the Poker Run the event got to big for such things.

Good times and they are still good today.

John

MO_JUNK likes this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah the Poker Run was a one year deal. Not sure why we never did it again.....

18. Yep I was there in the 31 Pontiac's maiden trip down a track. I've been at all the others with the coupe till the dragster preempted her.

I didn't realize that Root. Very cool!

The first year wasn't cool... literally. Does anybody remember how hot it got? Carl kept calling out that the staging lanes were open but we valued some shade time. The ground was to hard for Carl to dig a pit to cook the pig in so Tman slaved over a hot grill. Very good pig! The 2004 pig was cremated.

I camped at the track the first year so I missed the hotel fun. Found out in the following years that we are "Ryan's people". BTW, I can vouch for the 2:00 am bike passes. ;-)

After my 4th pass they told me not to race anymore due to a leaking block. :-( Just about killed me to see guys like Krupanaut making lap after lap. My favorite pass was against Flattop Bob. The Great Gordini's crew was awesome, even if they had some trouble getting down the track. Ryan having his Dad kick his butt was a highlight to be sure!

It was interesting putting a face to the folks on the HAMB. Can't believe how much it has grown.

Someone should post that pic we took at the starting line with everyone who was there.

19. The garage crawls were pretty awesome too John!

20. The car was scary and his tow rig was scarier! I forget but didn't his steering column come apart that took him into the rails?

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

It was your pictures that made me tell my Dad "We're going to this" and we have'nt missed one since.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Jim Marlett took the pic in my Avatar. Great photographer.

23. The car that came from Maryland behind the tow truck was a 36 or so Chevy, I think. It's been awhile, but I remember it was red and fenderless. After the steering broke, he had hose clamps holding it back together. It wasn't allowed to run again. In fact I heard he made the pass that he hit the fence on without permission, after hours. Not sure that's true though. We passed him heading east on Sunday morning, he was towing it behind the tow truck, at about 50 mph. That would be a long drive back to Maryland.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'll post some photos when I get home, I'm at the family's beach cottage for a long weekend right now and those photos are on my external hard drive.

If I remember correctly the "Mexican" on the mini-bike was MarkX from Texas and didn't he have a sombrero on his head?

Also, the first year the host hotel was the Holiday Inn and of course they didn't want us back so we went to the Ramada across the street which was awesome in my opinion as the parking lot made a circle around the hotel which made it super cool to race minibikes or pedal bikes around. The Ramada treated us real well for many years then low and behold we're back at the Holiday Inn. I guess it had to happen as the event certainly out grew the Ramada's parking lot. LOL

Those first few years were magic, the chemistry was just so perfect amongest everyone. The countryside tours, the poker run, JimC's BBQ, the event honestly felt like a family reunion and we all just happened to show up with our cool cars.

I post the photo of the smokin' turd in the pit too! lol

25. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Thanks, that was fun. When we changed the run schedule, I stopped planning an activity during the day.

I sent you a PM (conversation) some time back. We probably need to visit some about our plans for this years event.

John

26. The Mexican was MarkX and that was year two at the Ramada. Hank Cash had the quote as Mark did hot laps of the hotel. As he passed under the canopy WOT with a giant sombrero some lady walked out and said "what is THAT?" Hank replied, "Ma'am, that's a Mexican."

27. Yes, the heat. I was sitting with Ryan, carls son, Zor and a few others after most had left the track when the fields across the road just went up in flames. I think it was 120 or so up on that grill rig! Thanks for your help on that one John! Most folks don't know but Zor (DJ) and I were so wiped out from cooking that Ryan looked at us and mentioned as much and said he would put us up at the Holiday Inn and got us a room to clean up and get out of the heat! Thanks Ryan, we really needed that one!!!!!!!!!!

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

RACEFAB then, FWilliams now,
    I see he still checks in once in a while
    but haven't seen him or any posts for some time..

Fred making big sparks in my shop in about '04

[​IMG]

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, that is correct.

30. Pretty close, Dean.....that 36 chevy coupe showed up early Sat. morning. Janglehead and I arrived at the track at about 9.30 and he showed up a little later. That guy decided to make an early morning run down the track and fired his trusty smallblock....went charging off the line and immediately lost control of the car. It veered off to the left and dropped the left side tires off the track, scrubbing the fence. When he refired the engine, it had no oil pressure. Well, yeah! He'd dropped the pan on the asphalt when his left wheels fell off the racing surface and the left-side, pan-mounted oil plug had contacted the ground, unscrewing itself as the pan scraped along!!!
    The guy found the plug, installed it and refiled the engine........had all the stuff and tools on that old tow truck! I told him he'd better leave before anybody else got there but he hung around and thoroughly embarassed himself later.....true story.