Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RIP: Rod & Custom Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 29, 2014.

1. Their whole "empire" will go under , just a matter of time.

2. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Have you ever heard the term "bait and switch" ? When they fill your mailbox for the last 6 month pushing renewals and then extended renewals; they are setting you up. They want your money to use. Then they want to sub another magazine and get to keep your money. There are other magazines to support. I'll use my check to renew Rod & Kulture and purchase Rodders Journal and RoddingUSA.

3. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

"Word on the street is that Hot Rod is leaving print within 6 months... Will be online and e-zine only...."

That would be a HUGE mistake.

Hot Rod has the largest gear-head following and still many dinosaurs like me who want paper in hand, not electrons. I'd pay 3 times the subscription price to get it to my door. I already do that for half the magazines with Hot Rod Deluxe...

4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'm taking the extension on my hot rod sub. not a bad mag imo. i think the readership on mags you can hold in your hand is dying out because the young 'uns only read what's on a computer screen or are playing video games 16 hours a day!

5. I haven't been contacted on extending my Street Rodder subscription. It won't run out until 2015. Hell my R&C subscription was good thru 2019! i have Hot Rod until 2016 or so.
    I agree with dan c . I like printed media.

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Just got a call from somebody in DE "Hey, just going over your Street Rodder subscription info....you sent in your renewal but forgot to send a check". Guess what???? I didn't renew. What a load of BS! So the conversation went on " well then, if you renew today, we'll throw in a second year for free" What is with these people??? My BS-O-Meter is on 10 when it comes to these guys now. Beware!

7. Just got my "Farewell Issue" of R&C today. As much as I used to bitch about the 5 or 6 blow- ins for subscription renewal and extensions in each issue, it's kinda sad to thumb through the last one and find none. If it matters, and I guess it really doesn't, this final issue is actually one of the better ones in recent history. RIP..1953-2014.:(

8. tjm73

tjm73

I have a similar issue with my 5.0 Mustangs sub. Non-HAMB content but their are lots of others in the same boat. Sucks.

9. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

How true. I'm subscribed out thru 2019. Not a fan of Hot Rod, or anything else they offer, so I will have to cancel.

10. I can deal with Hot Rod Deluxe. But what's in that probably should have been in R&C.

Jeem likes this.
  11. Martino

Martino

Just got my farewell issue last night in the mail. This really sucks!

12. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I think they figured we would switch over to Street Rodder, F/ that!

Bowtie Coupe and bowie like this.
  13. I have a street rodder mag collection that goes back to the 70's and have them on the pay it forward link and no one wants them (can't even give them away).So I wont be switching over to them either.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. MOJODADDY

MOJODADDY

Guess I didn't crawl out from under my rock soon enough. I had no idea the R&C was headed for the axe until my copy came today! Looked up what the great TEN magazine lineup is and I can tell you I would not have traded my R&C issue per month for 6 of any other of those rags in exchange every month! I guess since they kept driving the renewals process they used my piddling little $24.97 to fund the closing of R&C. So here's to ya TEN, the Old Rebel one fingered salute! Street Rodder my hairy old ass!

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. I just received my Oct 2014 "Farewell Issue" today. I agree that its content is quite good. The front cover is interesting, too. There's a small banner near the R&C logo that sez "Farewell Issue." On the cover's center right is a button that parodies an NSRA "Street is Neat" button by saying, "Street Was Neat." The kicker is in the upper right corner where there is a small notation, "COLLECTOR'S EDITION." I guess that's an attempt to grab more money from the loyal R&C readers, and others, by getting them to buy additional copies of the final issue. Yeah, let's deep six a sixty-year old publication and then capitalize on its demise by noting this is a "collector's edition." Kev Elliott, R&C Editor, notes in his editorial that his byline will be appearing in Street Rodder from now on.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Guy's the times are changing for car magazine's and many will be gone with in the next few years.
    Print medias day's are numbered and that's just the way it is.
    Years ago if your family owned a newspaper you were wealthy today people feel sorry for you because making money with a newspaper is not easy to do.

The economy and the internet have really made some very large differences in the way we do things.

Keep your old car magazines because within the next 5 to 7 years they will be a collectors item and some day just might be worth some money to the right people.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Got my last issue today. While the issue is as nice as they have been lately, it's pretty unremarkable considering the import it should have been given. I'd bet a beer it will be back. Gary

18. Got my last issue today. Read the post inside saying that R&C merged with Street Rodder!! So we will see how that goes!!

19. A Boner

A Boner

Kind of sad.....go to a news stand, there are about 8,000 magazines for women. Women spend the bucks....men are a bunch of cheap fucks!

20. Mine came in the mail today. I hate to see it go. I buy Street Rodder a few times a year when I need something at the airport. Unless it really changes I don't see myself ever subscribing to it.

21. madmike3434

madmike3434

Its not the first time that ROD AND CUSTOM got killed off, 1974 ??? then re-appeared years later , as at that time Street Rodder was dominating the magazine market. They even brought back rodders digest at one point.

Street Rod failed, Rod Action failed, Rodders Digest failed, Northern & Southern Rodder mags failed , plus numerous others strapped on chutes , opened the bomb bay doors and bailed.
    Truth is we lovers of pre 48 are a quickly dying breed. The shift has been on for years to the 60's--early 70's vehicles and pro touring type machines. The 55-56-57 chevys have been done to death. Young guys are into tuners, not our golden oldies either real steel or glass replicas.

So why am I building another street rod, only because I want and desire a particular one, regardless of whether there is any demand for it after I am gone.

mike lynch

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"How about....... a car magazine with pin up fashions and other lady type stuff!? Right?! Lingerie AND hot rods AND customs! C'mon! Who's with me!?"

[​IMG]

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Dale Neff tried that years ago and went broke.

If you don't go first class, your heirs will!

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Then, sadly, we are doomed.

25. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Just found this out by getting my final copy in the mail, I guess Alaska's on the bottom of the mailing list.
    What to do now, this was the only mag I really liked. No way can Hot Rod or Street Fodder take it's place.
    I guess there goes my two year subscription :(

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I've been preoccupied with my 454SS truck project so I haven't been on the HAMB in a while. As a result I didn't learn about the demise of my favorite magazine until the last issue's editorial. Truthfully, I had suspected it would happen for a long time ever since Bob Petersen sold out his publishing empire and Rod & Custom began to shrink. With the demise of Custom Rodder a few years back I realized there was a sea change underway. The internet has killed printed media. I bought my very first car magazine, a Rod & Custom, in late 1956 as I was about to turn 16. Over the years I managed to acquire 99% of all issues published including Vol. 1 No.1. For me it's the end of an era.

I've realized for some time that our particular niche of automotive interest is also a dying breed, at least those of us who love 40s and 50s customs. Nowadays anyone can build a 20s or 30s street rod clone but I see fewer and fewer customs at car shows. It's up to you younger guys to keep up the faith. Hang onto your old copies if you have them. I have tried to use the internet to capture articles of particular interest to me but all too often they get abbreviated, or worse, they disappear forever. I find myself searching through my old issues now more than ever because hard copies never die.

Rods and Customs forever!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

The world today is a very different place from the late 40s, or 50s or 60s. Many of us seek to relive those days through our rods and customs and print media. Just like in Proust, open a vintage magazine and you are suddenly transported back to the first time you read that article. But the transmission of information, from magazine editor to reader, is no longer a one way street. Have a problem, need help, inspiration or a car or part? Ask the HAMB. Get an immediate, highly specific response. Doesn't take long to become accustomed to having all your car - and other - issues resolved the same day, or at least week. No wonder magazines no longer seem relevant. Despite the fact that relatively few editors (R&C and HRM being notable exceptions) are hands-on carholics, the mags always had to answer to an owner, editorial board, or marketing. Not so on the HAMB. I agree completely with Moonglow2, keep your old mags, for nostalgia and reference. But the HAMB is the way of the future for Rods and Customs.

28. cannuk

cannuk

Ya only got screwed for 23 months this time ! Seen the guys that sold me the subscription at the Syracuse nationals and they told me i would be getting a cheque in the mail YA RIGHT

29. That one will sting.

30. Fine with me! All I need is Rodder's Journal, HAMB, and Facebook! :cool: