Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Flathead-powered Comete Monte Carlo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cris, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Previous threads indicated interest in these: 1955 Simca/Ford Comete Monte Carlo (22cv model.) Late in the production run. Designed by Stabilimenti Farina, assembled by Facel Metallon (some sources quote the panels actually being formed in Italy then shipped to France for assembly.)

My Dad's getting this one sorted out.
    DSCF5629.jpg
    DSCF5632.jpg
    DSCF5635.jpg

Texas Webb likes this.
  2. That is a cool ride! Any interior or under the hood shots? Thanks!

3. williebill

williebill

Beautiful car. Love to see more pics, too

4. Cool car,French flathead?.Like to see more...engine,drivetrain.

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I LOVE Cometes, and have wanted one for many years. IMO your dad's deserves more authentic wheels and tires, and the stock stainless piece along the rockers. They may be scarce parts, but they flatter the car's proportions greatly:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Nads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Cool car, love the color and baby moons!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang likes this.
  7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

SO THE 55 was built by Simca, making the engine a Chrysler flathead V8.

8. daddylama

daddylama

oh how i love those cars... that's a beautiful example. wouldn't mind seeing more pics of it (also wouldn't mind seeing it in my garage :) )

9. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

It's a '55 but it's basically a continuation of the Ford run (which ended in/around '54.) It's a French Flathead, not a Chrysler.
    The car will eventually get Borranis (or maybe Halibrands, heh, heh...) but with the exception of tracking down Facel badges (which there are holes on the front quarters for) we aren't returning it to stock trim—possibly some bumperettes, but definitely not the original bumpers.

There are actually no holes for the trim along the rockers, and no indication that there ever were any. The paint appears very original; it's possible it was resprayed but it's crazed/cracked in areas and ways that are consistent with its overall age.

Cris DSCF5652.jpg
    DSCF5674.jpg
    DSCF5660.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. Beautiful car and interesting history.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Man,that is one beautiful car.

The 1955 Simca/Ford Comete Monte Carlo's understated simplicity in design is something that will always be a timeless look,as fresh today as it was when it rolled of the showroom floor.

Thanks for posting. HRP

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Borranis would be cool; even Halibrands would be OK. My intention, if I had ever acquired one, was not to do a virginal restoration either. I do think that whitewalls flatter the '50s profile (but are ill-advised with wires or alloys).
    I'd be surprised if it never had side trim; I've never seen one without it, and it does visually lengthen the profile. I think the lack of bumpers makes the side view a little stumpy, but there's nothing outstanding about the design of the stock bumpers.

I'll be interested to see your final result.

13. Squablow

Squablow

Very neat car, never saw one in person. The pic from the front with the eggcrate grille looks almost Ferrari-ish.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always good to see a post from you Cris, great looking car! Is the Speedster finished, Tater running and how is the '32 wagon? Hope to see you and your Dad at Lime Rock. Best wishes, Bob

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Simca were always something of a corporate football. They started out as a joint venture with Fiat; grew more independent after WWII, to the point of being able to take over Ford SAF and, with it, use of the Ford flathead V8 engine. Ford seems to have acquired a minority interest as part of the deal. Chrysler bought a 15% stake in Simca in 1958, increasing to 77% in 1964, as part of a programme (which also included the purchase of the British Rootes group) to build a European arm to rival Ford Europe and Opel/Vauxhall. This arrangement lasted until the early '80s, hence the association of Simca and Chrysler in many people's minds.

Chrysler ended up mismanaging their European interests badly. Peugeot eventually took over the nearly worthless remains. It is interesting to speculate what might have resulted had Chrysler done a better job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simca

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There's another one for sale in Bremen, Germany, on Bring A Trailer (or Hemmings). It's an early one -- as is the one in the classifieds -- but has an incomplete Monte Carlo grille in it (no vertical bars). Also not cheap at $42,500.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  17. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

The one in Bremen's grille isn't incomplete, as it's not a Monte Carlo, just a standard Comete. The Comete Monte Carlos had a lot of subtle differences from the normal Cometes; they are overall lower and slimmer and sleeker, there are some trim differences (like the grille,) and the Monte Carlos have a faux hood scoop.

Cris

18. tobyjuarez

tobyjuarez

love this thing... Ive never seen one before. super cool

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Laguna Comete.JPG
    This is the car from the HAMB classifieds, and is a typical (and excellent) early Comete. The differences from the MC in the hood and grille are apparent here, but I'm unaware of any other difference in the body shape or stance.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  20. 48stude

48stude

There was one of these cars for sale at the Canfield ,OH swamp meet this past weekend. I didn't have a camera with me though. Needed a ton of work ,but I really liked the lines of the car . Screamed mild custom to me.
    $4500.00 If I were 15 yrs younger ? I may have brought it home. Bill

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd have one. Sort of a Marshall Plan mini-Ferrari, IMHO. Gary

48stude likes this.
  22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

If it really was for sale at $4500, that's a screaming deal. Wish I had a shot at that one.

23. 48stude

48stude

$4500 . No joke. Every time I walked by, there was people checking it out. Needed a ton of work . Bill