Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Motors ~ here's your parts, figure it out!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHIPPIE, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

What the heck is up with SPEEDWAY MOTORS???
    I ordered an access door to access the hydraulic brake and clutch reservoirs under the floor of the Hot Rod and what came in the mail?... a bag full of parts with no assembly direction-no templates-no anything. I call Speedway and inquire how to assemble the zeus latching mechanism and hearing someone attempt to describe how to assemble it instead of visually seeing how it assembles is completely worthless to me. The tech guy says it should also have come with pop rivets, (none included), but the customer help guy says it doesn't come with rivets. Who's right & who's wrong?
    Bottom line is, I don't know how this access door assembles, especially the latching mechanism, and speedway could not provide me with any written instructions, diagrams, or anything relating to this item they sell.
    The guy from customer service said, "I'll give the vender a call if I have time to see if they have any assembly directions", so I told him if he provided me with the venders number-I would call them up, and his response was, "I don't have that information".... REALLY??
    Ya know, I know the access door assembly isn't rocket science- but if someone like me has never dealt with zeus latches, simple things like a visual diagram can go a really long way, how is one supposed to correctly assemble it other than winging it and hoping for the best.
    I pay good money for their products, and receiving the product in a clear ziplock baggie with no paperwork whatsoever isn't sitting well with me- along with Speedways piss-poor customer service.
    Anyone out there install one of their 6" x 6" floor access doors? How do you assemble the zeus latching mechanism? Does the piano latch go on the outside or inside of the door. A diagram included with this produce would have answered all my questions... What's up SPEEDWAY MOTORS?.... you really disappointed me today with your lack of information and assistance regarding this item. My item was relatively simple and yet, you could not provide me with a simple diagram, not I proudly own a ziplock baggie of parts I don't know how to assemble!.... Thank You Speedway Motors!!!

Posted using the H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Uptown83

Uptown83

Did you try looking up the vendor and see if they have anything on their own website?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Speedway couldn't provide the vender who made it, and it arrived in an unmarked clear ziplock baggie of loose parts.

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

5. stimpy

stimpy

6. Seriously,it's not rocket science..why would you need instructions? HRP

7. gatz

gatz

<
    so I told him if he provided me with the venders number-I would call them up, and his response was, "I don't have that information".... REALLY??
    >

More than likely, that's against company policy. Think about it.... Would you give out your suppliers name/phone number just so a customer could circumvent?

8. squirrel

squirrel

ok, I'll offer a little sympathy. I ran into the same thing with the front axle I bought from Speedway, in included Wilwood disk brakes, but they did not include instructions, and they are not a normal Wilwood kit. I eventually figured it all out. Along the way I discovered about eight ways to put it together wrong.

At least their prices are low

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Is this what you are referring too? HRP

91021406_T_15e6c9d2.jpg

10. Hey it's like a free puzzle with every parts order. :)
    -Pat

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

That's basically it ~ mines the 6 x 6 but pretty much the same parts.... Does the piano latch go up through the slot? I appreciate your response ~ though like I said, a simple hand-drawn diagram showing the assembled door would have gone a heck of a long way, for me anyway
    I know I'm not as gifted as some of you are in assembling things, that's why I turned to the HAMB.... for answers and suggestions from guys who's "Been there and done that". Thanks

12. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Now thats funny.... Thanks for the humor

13. 4t7flat

4t7flat

That has been my major complaint with Speedway for many years. Back in 98 I ordered their 27 T chassis and body. No instructions were included for anything. The pitman arm on the Vega box was already installed, so I hooked everything up, as it came. I had more steering in one direction, and less in the other. I called the tech line, and after several minutes, they said you have the pitman arm on backwards. They installed the arm backwards so it would fit in a smaller box. Also there was no template for locating the windshield stanchions, (what a bitch that was). The body had no reinforcing at all and no instructions on how to do it, not even a picture of what it should look like. I try to stay away from Speedway, unless it is a name brand part from a known brand supplier. The "T" turned out great, and was a magazine feature car, but no thanks to Speedway.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Are you building a hot rod or paint by numbers project.. If you can't figure a simple access door how are you going to build the rest of the car...

tfeverfred likes this.
  15. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

come on guys! not everyone is an ace!! a lot of first timers who are looking for just a tad bit of help.. Kid them a little, but damn, insulting is more than too much!

loudbang, lurker mick and s727speedo like this.
  16. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I'd guess, since it came in a zip lock bag and it's missing pieces, that is was a returned item. Lucky you, you got to buy it as advertised as NEW! or did you buy it in the bargain bin?

Sorry no help on installation.

17. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Thank you HEMIMAN 426!!! ~ thats a true HAMB'ers response ~ we need more guys like you!

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

19. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Purchased new.... in a baggie ~ not vacuum sealed.... I would hope Speedway didn't do that to me.... maybe they did!

20. greybeard360

greybeard360

Try this.......

accessdoor.jpg

patmanta and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. aaggie

aaggie

A lot of things on their Website has a place to click on that brings up the instruction page so you can check it out before ordering. If you can't figure out the Dzus fasteners then let the weight of the carpet keep the lid closed.

22. greybeard360

greybeard360

BTW... a LOT of Speedway parts come in zip lock bags.
    And so does Classic Air and several other vendors.

23. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

Greybeard has it correct. Ironic i received the same yesterday but i do have experience installing these.

24. Bruskie

Bruskie

gee, now i'm afraid to ask anything about my suspension issues on my project

loudbang likes this.
  25. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ive only ordered a few things from speedway but nothing ever came in a zip lock. My bad then... forget what I said.

26. Diplomacy,especially with some of our members is lacking in common curtsy,don't let them pull you down to their level,resorting to name calling can get you banned.

I would mount the aforementioned piano hinge to swing up,I would mount in under the flange where just the hinge is visible but under carpet it wouldn't matter if it was mounted on top..it would just look better mounted under the flange. HRP

s727speedo likes this.
  27. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

God forbid anyone should have to ask a question about ANYTHING and get such response's. Not all of us were born knowing everything, some of us actually learn as we go. Not the way to treat anyone.

loudbang and s727speedo like this.
  28. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Greybeard360 ~ now thats what I needed and was confident someone on the HAMB could come up with it - thanks to alll (or most) who responded to my newbie question. I know I don't have a ton of brains.... but I'm smart enough to turn to the HAMB for answers!!!

s727speedo likes this.
  29. greybeard360

greybeard360

I took those images directly from the Speedway web site. The bottom image clearly shows the piano HINGE (not latch :confused:) under the frame/door. I would rivet the hinge to the door when starting the assembly process, will take one less hand that way.

30. greybeard360

greybeard360

" I know I don't have a ton of brains.... but I'm smart enough to turn to the HAMB for answers!!! "

Need to change your handle to Scarecrow....... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.