Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The HAMB Drags 2003... Were you there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The HAMB Drags 2003... Were you there?

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I wasn't there in '03, '08 was my first experience with the h.a.m.b. drags. For me, it's still exciting and special. I always look forward to August.

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoyed the pics Jay. Another Boss photo slipped in there . . . a twenty-something Boss. Cool.

4. I was there, I've been to them all. Brought the tan Roadster towards the end that has GR/13 on the side.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was there as well. I drove Big Olds from Detroit to Speed Week at the B'ville Salt Flats then headed to the HAMB Drags via the Grand Canyon! Raced ALL DAY, basiclly doing hot laps. Then drove all the way back to Detroit on Sunday. In my opinion 2003 was hands down the best year and I've been to them all.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just TWO people, all day?o_O C'mon, guys.

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

moonshine.

ELpolacko likes this.
  8. autobilly

autobilly

Yeah, what a Greaser!:D

BrerHair likes this.
  9. atch

atch

yeah, i was there, but i really don't have much of interest to add. if i can find my pix they'll be 35mm prints but maybe i can scan them. the first few years there was a group pic taken but i never downloaded any of them. i imagine that denise has them, but she'd have to look through several hundred thousand pix to find them.

i also went to b'ville and then to the drags that year. BenD rode with me all the way. we met many hamb folks both on the salt and at the drags.

i've missed the last two years, but had made all of them up 'til then. denise and i raced every one of those years. of course she cleaned my clock every time. she could take out 3 pistons and still have a larger engine than clarence. she's so used to beating up on me that she can soft pedal big olds down the track doing the prom queen wave to the crowd and keep on the loud pedal just enough to beat me but not too badly.

many of the folks that i met on that trip are still good friends.

tractorguy likes this.
  10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have been to them all. Good times. Several years we pushed hard to get home with the race car from Bonneville just to be at the HAMB Drags.

Some notable examples from years gone by; The Rambler duel, A big Hereford welcoming us to MOKAN, Carl encouraging people to run as there was no waiting, 2 attempts at cooking a pig in a pit, a rail doing a 360 on the starting line, my brother and I laying down the first black marks on the new starting line, ..... and many more.

John

tractorguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 2003 was my first Bonneville trip and then the first HAMB Drags. Had a great time, I might have pictures of me and Outlaw riding that big cow. The parking lot action at the hotel was kinda crazy too, lots of beer and hijinks. I do remember being yelled at as I was walking back to my room at 2:00am....." Hey, Texas Guy, Is there any beer left in your cooler?" My reply was of course, "Probably not but if there is its yours."

I also saw Denise that year at various car shows across the country more than some of my friends.

I have had ALL of my hot rods at the HAMB Drags
    - Model A
    - The Commander, 55 Studebaker with a fresh motor break in on the way up
    - The Aquamino, 59 El Camino
    Good Times

12. Cool pics....looks like they could've been taken back ithe day. I love the HAMB bull sign!

13. Kustm52

Kustm52

I was there... got smoked by some guy in a coupe...

Attached Files:

• sc20.jpg
      sc20.jpg
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
    Tman likes this.
  14. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I was there and have made them all. Brother(WZ Junk) and I made the first pass a number of years. Watched Ryan and his dad run. Lots of good memories and more good times to come. Watching the FED stand up and do a 360 at the starting line was really something to see. Wz organized a Route 66 cruise before the drags a couple of years. We saw some points of interest in OK, KS and Mo. One year a guy raced an old Harley. It was fast and he had one hand on the handlebar and bent over and hand shifted with the other hand. A true biker. We've had a T bucket spin out at mid-track and the famous clutch explosion on a Hamb Dragster. Good times and more to come. Sam

15. Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  16. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

There for the first. Made them all.

17. My first was 2004. I've been to all of them since.

18. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

krupanut likes this.
  19. I seem to make it about every 2 years whether I need to or not. :eek:

Atch
    Remember the year that Edye and I rolled in, in the middle of the night? it was the first road trip for The Pusher, you took us all around the lot with a flash light and showed us everyone's car.

Those were the days.

tractorguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Yep, was there as part of the Bomb Factory crew with Sam. Helped build that car. The first year 2003 was also my only HAMB Drags attendance. It was a lot of fun and met many people.

krupanut likes this.
  21. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

I was there and still driving the same 5 window.

krupanut likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

23. Yeah, I was there. Towed my 63 Rambler American down to race Tuck in his red 65. We hyped the shit outta the "big Rambler race-off" and I dumped antifreeze all over the starting line when a motor mount broke, sending the fan into the radiator. I actually won the first round with my flathead 6 and then tuck figured out the starting procedure and put a hurtin on me with his late model, new fangled over head 6 banger. Fat ass whitewalls bought my rambler and after the event I delivered it to his house, towing with the Rocky Goodtime Van [TM]
    Watched Ryan get smoked by his dad.. hambdrags4.jpg 1_abone.JPG hambdrags4.jpg 1_abone.JPG hambdrags3.jpg hambdrags8small.jpg hambdrags.jpg

chryslerfan55, '40 Coupe Fan and Tman like this.
  24. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've been to one,but I plan on coming to another at some point.

25. I didn't even know about it in '03, saw a reference to it on MoKans website and went looking, that is how I found this place. Took a few years until I signed up, but I have been to most of them. It is always within a day or two if not on my birthday. Been fun. The wife and I's first date was wandering around the hotel parking lot, and she still married me.

mrpontiac likes this.
  26. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Notice the background in Rocky's pictures. There's no spectators in the stands and the field is empty. It's sure not that way now.

27. Nope it will never be the same as the early years and never ever be as much fun.

I think my favorite quote from the early years was this, and I think it was Rashy who said it but don't hold me to that, weee hours of the morning under the canopy at the Ramada, we're standing there and this old couple (not a HAMB couple) watching the show. A mini bike zooms past and the old lady says, "What was that?" and the quote of the century, "That was a Mexican." :D:D

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

FYI, I built the Fly to show support for the Hamb Drags. I told Ryan if he would hold a drag race I would build a car. 6 weeks later the Fly was born.

Tman and guthriesmith like this.
  29. porknbeaner, I think that was me on the mini bike.