Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Speedway motors import charges for export , another tax

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why or how does speedway motors justify its import charges for goods it exports? We are in New Zealand and look at speedway motors items and for example an offy bell housing adapter flathead to s10 t5 is $294 plus international shipping of $53 which is great but to add import charges for and export item of $74 is very unusual , so given a choice we tend to stay away from speedway motors. Unless there is an explanation or way to avoid these charges. How can an exporter charge import fees????

2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

As I do some work in this area and have seen similar things like this before, I am only guessing but they may first import the item before they export it.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I use a US based shipper in CA, Shipito and then have my purchases sent there. I the fill out the customs declaration on-line and pay the freight. Here in 3 days with TNT express, DHL, FEDEX, USPS or UPS?. Freight is based on weight and volume. I sent something to NZ once many years and I thought the purchaser had to pay some local duty / taxes once it arrived there. PM if I can assist with shipping direct to you.

4. Unless its small I get all my stuff including stuff from Speedway sent to Kiwi shipping, cheap freight and hassle free

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Here in Canada we get the same type of taxes too,not just from speedway but all stuff that is imported.It has to do with where the item is originally made first,if it is chinese it has an extra 6.1 percent added on?.Total BS if you ask me,i thought free trade was to eliminate this stuff,i am sure fellow canadians will all have a similar horror story concerning shipping. Harvey

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  6. 2935ford

2935ford

The way I understand "Free (huh) Trade", it only includes Canada, USA and Mexico but I may be wrong. We do pay brokerage fees if using common carriers like UPS, FedEx and the like which is basically fees for filling out forms then of course the Canadian tax.

7. Rem

Rem

Perhaps they are pre-paying your import charges, so you have nothing extra to pay on delivery? In the UK we have to pay import duty and VAT on anything valued over about $30 I think, so if you posted me a part by USPS and declared a value of, say $100 on your customs form, I would have to pay 20% VAT and possibly some duty (depending what it is) plus a handling fee to our postal service. Some companies, Rockauto for example, have an option where we can pre-pay the duty that they calculate, and it gets shipped straight to our doorstep with no delay for bureaucracy. If you have no import taxes in NZ then you're damn lucky . . .

I could be wrong though :)

8. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

I believe Rem is absolutely correct. If the exporter is adding import taxes/fees, it is done as a convenience to the customer and allows door-to-door delivery. I worked for UPS in international shipping problem resolution for 15 years and saw just about every possible bad outcome. There are normally no taxes on exports, only on import merchandise. [NAFTA => "North America Free Trade Agreement" is Canada, USA and Mexico and excludes import fees but NOT VAT (value added tax) ] Also, every country has its own rules and regulations. The USA is most generous and normally waives import taxes and fees until the declared value becomes considerable. As China became a manufacturing powerhouse and given the Chinese government's subsidies (which allow products to sell for below their production cost), many countries enacted special tariffs and rules to protect their own industries. For example. Chinese goods can import, but the total number or $$ amount of a specific commodity is limited. Another issue are the related costs, such as a brokerage fee and a "financing fee" for each transaction, because the freight carrier is pre-paying the import fees and taxes. It is not unusual to wind up paying more in fees and shipping than the cost of the merchandise itself. One way around this, although a bit cumbersome, is to "group" shipments. You can get together with friends and pool your purchases to save on both shipping and fees. Since the import tax itself is more or less fixed, this allows dividing shipping and brokerage costs among several receivers. This works if you can plan ahead. Also, you might be able to negotiate a discount (due to the higher dollar transaction amount) with the seller. With the rise of the Internet, there may be interesting possibilities for people wishing to serve as "brokers" in the US to fulfill orders and then group ship (via ocean freight to save $$ and because many of us are working on legacy projects without time deadlines) to specific countries. I am speaking here of specific items that are more or less "unobtainable" in the destination country due to age, rarity, etc. The biggest obstacle is the question of trust, but the HAMB might serve as a guarantor of reliability and honesty for the right individuals. I have lived and worked outside the US (especially in France) and have nothing but admiration for carholics who pursue our obsession in areas where spare and replacement parts simply cannot be found. Hope this helps.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Did you ask Speedway to explain their charges to you? I'm sure they'd be able to give you a breakdown.

If you can buy the part directly from the Far East (if it hails from there) will you escape the fees?

10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Shop around..............Speedway's not the only game in town.

11. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Very true.

12. 52lomofo

52lomofo

did this just start with speedway??or is someone tryin to get rich quick dont remember people complaining when Mr and Mrs Smith were still living

13. SimonSez

SimonSez

I also think you are probably right.

I don't know about Speedway, but I have had the option to pre-pay the NZ import charges and sales tax (GST) on orders through Summit, and it worked out well - the parcel turned up at my door and I didn't need to go into Customs here to pay before I got my parts.

Ask Speedway to confirm if that is what the charges are for.

The threshold for when you have to start paying GST is $400 NZD including the shipping, so your order would have just exceeded that limit.

14. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

This is just like what Evilbay and Paypal do when they get almost 20% of the money that the buyer pays the seller for shipping fees.

15. Speedway sucks.

16. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

Flee-bay & paypal charge is somewhat in the 12-1/2% range. Shipping is usually on the buyer unless less handling fees are added which is sometimes against you. I'm not much of a speedway fan as the quality is budget.. keep cool...

17. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I know the buyer pays the fees but its money that paypal and ebay have done nothing to earn . Ebay and paypal make enough $$$ then they want more so they rape the buyer with more fees that the seller has to pass on to the buyer with higher shipping costs. I thinks it's closer to 15%.