Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 hemi help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50mercfan, Jul 15, 2014.

1. I just got a 55 331 last week. Its bone stock except an afb carb. its runs great oil pressure is ok and runs 190 degrees. The intake valve on number 2 was clicking when in got it. Installed a new lifter, no fix. Pulled the pushrod and measured it and it was an 8th " too short. I installed a new push rod and fixed the problem.

Now, when the engine gets up to temp i have steam or blow by coming from the oil filler cap. water drips out also.

Did i do something wrong installing the intake? I bought new gaskets and put sealer around the water ports.

Is this normal?

Are the intake bolts "wet"? I didn't use any sealer when I reinstalled them.

Would a pcv valve in the valley pan help?

Before the "do a search" nazis' get started, i did, i read lots of threads in the hemi tech archive and didn't see anything.

2. Not an expert like those on here,but.... A PCV valve wouldnt hurt at all. And, what was up with the lone ranger pushrod? A collapsed lifter? I would,and am, going to treat everything like a nuclear meltdown will come out of anything but a "blind" hole, so,seal up everything. No commie here,but the Hemi tech needs a lil decifering to find your correct answer(s). Just might not be there also.
    You just might have a "worn in" engine showing it's stuff.....
    I'de re-seal (bolts), and if your still a lil concerned,drop a can of Iron Tite in your cooling syst for peace of mind. Might work,but a band aid for a while,and might last......Just cover all bases,and work from there......
    I'm sure those with more knowledge will assist. Good luck/score.

3. The push rod is a stumper, I'll admit. It looks even on both ends, not like its worn off that much. the lifter was a little beat up from getting hammered all the time. After I installed the new lifter I called hot heads, He said i had a bad lifter. As i was getting ready to install another one, I measured the push rod, and, there it was. No way he could have called that one. He's a great guy, and even talked me out of buying his adjustable push rods, Thats why I called him. I've spent a while going through the Hemi archives. Learned a ton there.

4. George

George

most external bolts go into water or oil, in some cases there's factory studs to cut down on leak opportunities. A PCV valve would be better than the draft tube. Might want to check condition of the steel wool "filter' in the oil fill cap, may be in poor shape. Where's the water dripping out?

5. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

When I rebuilt my 56 354 hemi I found the rocker shafts and rockers full of oil sludge. It starved the valve train of oil. Lots of wear up top. If your engine is a survivor you may not be getting enough oil to the top end. I would remove and clean the road draft tube sounds like it may be blocked.

6. Here's some pics. I don't know the history on the engine. It looks pretty clean to me. The water is dripping from the filler cap where the steel wool filter is. Its not constant. The steam is thought. It dosnt look like there is water in the oil and no oil around the thermostat when I take the cap off. What's the road draft tube?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

7. Also, I've got what appears to be good oil flow at the rockers. It seeps pretty good between the rocker and the stands everywhere.

8. George

George

The road draft tube (puke tube) is bolted to the back end of the valley cover and runs down behind/below the engine. Also has a tab bolted under one of the bell housing bolts. As you drive air flowing by the end of the tube (under the car) is supposed to create a suction drawing air in thru the hole in the filler cap on thru the crankcase & on out the tube. Obviously doesn't work parked, & debateable about how effective it is going down the road. Unbolt the tube, find a grommet that'll fit, then install the PCV valve with a hose running up to the AFB.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Hemis use different length pushrods for intake and exhaust valves but the difference is more than 1/8". Also there were different length lifters used in the 331, the early ones were longer and called for shorter pushrods.

Did you compare the pushrod with the other intake pushrods?

It could be normal blowby, indicating leaking piston rings. There is a certain amount of water in the exhaust gases and they can leak past the rings, pressurizing the crankcase. Is there a noticeable breeze blowing out of the breather tube ?

If the engine was rebuilt or has been out of commission for years it could just need some miles put on it. Or, if it is old, the rings could be worn.

10. Thanks George, I know the tube your talking about. Thank for the tip guys. I'll do that.

11. Rusty, yea, studied the push rod lengths. This one dosnt fit any where. No, I didn't compare it to the other ones. They where all tight like they should be. I bought the 812 lifters like suggested everywhere. I measured it and the old one and they are the same length.

The old one, though, was stuck/frozen. Maybe it wore the old one down? Don't know. The new push rod and lifter seemed to fix it, we'll see.

12. No noticeable breeze from filler tube. It just floats out.

13. any other input?

14. George

George

What's the history of the engine? Been sitting/ Overhauled recently? Overhauled & sat? Did you just have the intake off? Mess with head gaskets?

15. george, don't know the history. it's been driven over the last year some. i just had the intake off. didn't mess with the head gaskets. didn't remove any head bolts.

16. George

George

You might try squirting A LITTLE, noy much, MMO or ATF fluid in the cyls to see if some rings may be sticking. Any smoke out the tailpipe?

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It sounds like you fixed it. It may have a little blowby (ring wear) but not bad enough to need a rebuild.

I don't know about the manifold bolts and my manual does not say.

18. George

George

@ least some of them do, if not all.

19. Thanks guys, it's really appreciated. George, I did not put any sealer on the intake bolts. Should i? The white" pipe dope"? Or something else?

20. No smoke out of the tail pipes.

21. George

George

If you can't see a leak you're probably OK.