Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New Builders....Please revive Canted Quad Headlights.....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Centurion9, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

Why, just to make a change for sake of making a change? Why ask others to do it, if you like them, then why don't YOU put them on something? With a few exceptions, never really cared for them my self.

2. Wow, that car is awesome! Love the canted quads and the '58 Buick grille. Color scheme is perfect.

When I see cars like this it makes me understand why I'll always be a kustom/custom guy and not a hot rod guy..........E

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In the last 10 years, I've bought two new cars and took them directly from the showroom into the shop for some mild custom touches. I consider that as a "traditional" thing ala Barris or Watson. I've had more than a few disscussions with Ryan as to whether the cars are Traditional or having the Traditional mindset. I favor the latter.

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I have to add a bit more to this argument. When I was younger and more opinionated, I didn't like the looks of quad headlights. But when I was designing my 55 Olds, back in 81 or so, even before I took out the hacksaw, I did some crude drawings of what I wanted to do to it. One included putting quad headlights in it. I really wanted the car to be different and stand out as MY car, as opposed to what, I'm not sure, there weren't any custom Olds around anyway!
    When it came time to do the modifications, I decided to actually do the quads, as it didn't look any worse than other headlight treatments, looked better than a lot of them, and it made the car stand out.
    Funny, I painted it the first time in IROC blue, but when I painted a bike in Candy Cobalt, I decided to try painting candy on my car, and changed it to Cobalt Blue. I was never a fan of scallops either, for the most part, but I wound up doing them on my car as well! Doesn't look bad, but I think I regret doing the scallops more than doing the headlights, next re-do, the headlights stay, but scallops are going!
    My point is when you are building a custom, sometimes doing something a littel different, ore even a LOT different, makes your build unique, and as long as it doesn't make the car look worse, why not go for something out of the envelope? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but CUSTOM guys can always change it again, if it's real bad. Marks cars 001.jpg Marks cars 002_w.jpg Marks cars 003_w.jpg Marks cars 004_w.jpg Marks cars 001.jpg Marks cars 002_w.jpg Marks cars 003_w.jpg Marks cars 004_w.jpg

don colaps likes this.
  5. freiertpc

freiertpc

i've got 60 linc headlights i'm installing them vertical and leaned forward
    don't care for them canted much but i think they fit the bill.

6. xpittsx

xpittsx
    from Jersey

Quads look better than "bags" and "laying frame"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Zed, rustynewyorker and hrm2k like this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hell thats not saying much, my hairy red scottish ass looks better than "bags" and "laying frame"...:eek:

belair likes this.
  8. hah, when i think of scottish and bags, i think of something else that when used in the right place and played well is nice.....but most of the time......

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

This thread is getting freaky......!

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have read this whole thread mainly because a senior in highschool [61'-62'] had just finished a sectioned 49' Ford with canted quad lights which was in Car Craft mag coverage of the Hartford, CT autorama...Had a door pull grill too...And I flat thought the car was neat [well I was like 13] and I still do enough that I have tried to find it and bought the issue of CC that it was in...The Senior went on to have a very successful body shop..I'd post a pic but new 8.1 putor, new Hamb and dumb ass me aren't bonding too well...I thank all that posted, learned a couple new words and lots of insight...We definitely have it all here on the HAMB..!!.

11. You got that right! HRP

12. I cant believe this thread is still going. To each his own and let it be
    There are obvious examples on this thread where it worked, and others not so much.
    The word is 'Custom'. Means different, one off, no mold, fit to 'you'...
    I wouldn't want to see every car out there the same as mine. then it would suck and i probably wouldn't do it if everyone else was too

Saxman and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Yeah this one got me too. She is sweeeeeet.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

15. I'm not a builder, just a Customs fan who was born in 1946. It was just a comment, not a command......Centurion9

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

OK, got to be where or how the pic is stored...The one I want to upload tries but ends up Extension not allowed..Shoot, time for wife work..Arghhhhhhhh.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, hey VT and HRP, look at it this way, at least I didnt say anything about anyones hairy scottish bag...Even I have SOME sense of decorum ...;):eek:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. Mmmmmmm.......This is a CUSTOM with Canted Quads........Not a Traditional spin on History....This car has always represented the styling that actually WAS even though the car is a more recent build. It could easily be the Cover Feature of any little book from the late '50's to very early '60's........Love it!......Centurion9 Canted Quads Five.jpg

don colaps and BORRACHO13 like this.
  19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those itty bitty mirrors look out of place.

20. lol I didn't even notice they were there until you pointed it out o_O

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Zed likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some cant. Some can't.

Ned Ludd, Centurion9 and BORRACHO13 like this.
  22. ;):D

23. What's that grille from? It looks like an early '70s GTO or Firebird, of all things. Maybe with the inserts changed to mesh with drawer pulls.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Edsel's...'58...laid on their sides...

R-

25. Ahh, didn't recognize the toilet seat at that angle.

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Ahhh, Bob Politz shoebox....I painted it, BTW! Was owned by "Rebel John" a new Jersey to Virginia LEGEND. Started customization in the early 80's, sold it to Bob, went through more owners, more customization, then returned to Bob for the final all out 60's style over-the-top look! It's got a great overall aura about it. Very traditional!

hrm2k and Centurion9 like this.
  27. What a cool car, chopolds. The headlights fit perfectly on this Olds.
    I copied your pics in my HD.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

keep the faith, chopolds.:cool: I may be a self-proclaimed hot rod guy, but I was a true-blue believer in the HAMB mission statement long before there was ever a HAMB, or an internet to talk about it on. Not the currently popular, watered-down, politically correct, street rodder friendly version of our history, the real deal, perceived warts and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.