Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rocket Oldsmobile V8 Information Compiled

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Zaloryan, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Zaloryan

Zaloryan

You know, you're right! ;) I will check out a Toronado next month in a yard when I pick up my next project. I'll take pictures and see if I can get the details straightened out.

2. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn good thead. I see Paul is still hoarding rocket engines. LOL.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

AJ,
    you are right, if it aint fun what we got, anyway?

Eric,
    letting the two blower motors go knocked me down to thirteen..

49 olds likes this.
  4. OK.I tried the alternator bracket from a 54 Chevy I-6.with minor modification and a adapter plate on the bottom it worked like a charm .the top adjusting brace is from a corvette setup. This mod uses the same belt as the original generator. There is plenty of adjustability and room over the top.no clearance issues here : )

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

jakespeed63 likes this.
  5. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Great info...like my 50 rocket 88...

6. Did you ever get a chance to follow up on this?

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

another one followed me home yesterday,
    another '57 371 stick motor...
    used and in need of minor attention but supposed to be a good strong runner.. whatever that means :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    MIKE STEWART likes this.
  8. I've had to gather this info because I'm old but not totally old school!

9. Damn Paul. Leave some out there for the rest of us, will ya!? :D

10. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Knowledgeable contributions like yours make the HAMB such a great site for gearheads. Thanks!

11. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

12. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Here is my 62 Olds 394 that I just got done building for my 61 Olds 88. It has been bored 030 over with forged pistons, reworked rods, ARP bolts, blueprinted oil pump, double row timing chain and best gaskets all from Tony at Ross racing.The lower end has been balanced with an aluminum flywheel and 3 groove NOS harmonic balancer. The rings are cast and top groove moly also from Tony. I got the cam from Camcraft. It is a 262/dur/495 lift on 1.8 rockers that wer rebuilt by rockerarms unlimited. I mildly ported the stock heads and intake . Carburator is a Cliff Ruggles 800 cfm Q Jet and the distributor is recurved and rebilt with points. It has a Muncie 4 speed with an 11" Centerforce clutch and a Powertrain Technologies hydraulic release bearing. Overdrive is a Gear Vendors. I'll see if I can post my video and add some more information later.

mario711 likes this.
  13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

private video

14. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Sorry about that, I made it public

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  15. justinj

justinj

Great video, NAS!

16. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

x2

Cant help myself from putting one up as well. Both Paul and Tony have been helping me tackle a few things lately. The video here is after new plugs, and 10*/37* timing. A few engine specs detailed in the description.

17. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Man that sounds good! I could feel the torque through the video !

18. Zaloryan

Zaloryan

Unfortunately, not yet. I now live two states away from the yard I intended to visit, but rest assured I will post when I know the details.

19. Anderson

Anderson

I've read through the entire thread and unless I missed it, can someone shed a little light on the rocker arm swap?

My main need-to-know is can you swap out the arms only or do the 1.5:1's and 1.8:1's use different shaft mounts?

20. shaft mounts for the 1.8 are different than the early 1.5's

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Push rod and valve locations remain constant, shaft location (pivot) is the variable.
    1.8 ratio rockers have shaft closer to push rod.
    Assemblies must be installed as a set

22. For 1.5:1 ratio rockers you must use 49'-51' Rocker stands.

23. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks guys! Anybody have a set of 1.8 stands they want to turn loose of?

24. you need to find a 52-56 Olds engine and take the stands off of it or contact Rocker Arms Unlimited. he may have an old set. Tony at Ross can also help you out. He has many Olds engines in his whse.

25. Koz

Koz

6ftunder, In the video in post #135, cold you share the trans and rear info in the '27? Looks like your shifting an early Ford box. I'm particularly interested in the rear end ratio and the tire size. Build thread on that car here?

26. I've got a set that came off a 54 Olds 324. I can dig them out and take some pictures tonight for you if you want.

27. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

Paul was the rpu builder. I cant seem to find the build thread; but he did have a great one. Trans is a 50 Olds and the rear end is an early Bronco. 4.11 if I remember right. Tires are Coker L-78

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Build thread is in the Tech Archive but it describes the original version with Studebaker engine, transmission, and Ford banjo rear. Subsequent updates showing blown Olds engine, transmission Ford 9" etc. were not compiled and may be found using the search function.. but.. all those pictures were linked from my albums. The pictures can still be seen in the album but not in the update threads.

29. Koz

Koz

Thanks guys! I watched the three videos I found on YouTube and it seemed to cruise really nice. I am running 8.20-15 on my tub which is about the same size as L-78. I am running a 3.78 rear. The 4.11 makes me feel better as this is my first Olds rod and I am concerned about twisting it a bit too hard. I did check out Pauls build thread a few years ago and now again and it didn't have to much of the tech info so thanks for the info again.

30. Anderson

Anderson

That'd be great, thanks!

Posted using the Full Hot Rod H.A.M.B. App