Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods need sbc to t5 clutch parts numbers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Jul 12, 2014.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ive searched until i was blue in the face, Ive been to my local parts store enough that they dont want me there anymore. I need part numbers to mate a 68 327 with a 153 tooth flywheel, v8 monza bellhousing to a non wc s10 1inch 14 spline t5. Everything I find is a kit so if i get the right disk the pressure plate doesnt work or I get the right pressure plate and the disk doesnt work. I know this shit should be easy mating chevy to chevy but Im not having any luck. Does summit, jegs or speedway have a kit Ive looked on there sites and dont know what works, I emailed summits tecks with this same question and have had no responce. HELP HAMBERS!!!!!

2. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

Go to a old fashion auto parts store buy the disk and pressure plate separate. I have the same setup in my 69 chevy pu.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have been to the old fashion parts store and its all kits these days. I fact the guy and gal I deal with own a 33 sedan so they have gone the extra mile trying to help me.

4. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I'm going back 20+ years when I did the swap, but I think I ended up using an Oldsmobile clutch disc from the parts store onto the Chev truck flywheel. Hope it may help but that was a while ago.

5. R Pope

R Pope

We used a 1985 4.3 Astro van clutch and plate. Not easy to find, but they are still available.

6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Speedway Motors Catalog #350, pp257 : 9"/ 14 spline(910-15643); 10"/14 spline(910-15641); 10-1/2"(910-15649) ; all for $69.99 ea (yes, I know they're listed for Flathead, but do you think the flywheel/clutch/transmission really CARE?) Stay on that page, or page 257 & pick whatever pressure plate your flywheel is drilled for, or check back with the parts house that had the clutch that matches your flywheel , & match the right disc to that pressure plate(& don't forget the matching throw-out bearing.)

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I cant use the astro van cause you need to run the 168 flywheel which doesnt fit in a car bell housing.
    Thanks drtcrv8 I did see that disk and saw the flathead listing. your right on if the flywheel cares.

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Rusty Rocket : I was being a bit of a smart-ass; It's just that I went through the same 'crap' trying to fit my T-5 in back of a former boat motor that had a flywheel, but never had a clutch. (do you have any idea how frustrating it is to continuously hear :"It's not factory so you can't do that, & we don't have it anyway"?) Thank goodness for swapmeets, tapemeasures, & 'Speedy-Bill"!!!

9. COOP

COOP

Exactly what I did....... had a '69 327 with s-10 t 5. ordered the biggest one they offered. Everything worked well.

10. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Another caution : measure the length of the trans input shaft ; then bolt the bellhousing to the motor & measure from the trans mounting face to the bottom of the pilot recess (also measure the distance from the mounting face to the clutch disc splines & check against the input shaft distance): yours, being all Chevy(or at least GM) should br fine, but mine was an 'odd-ball'; I had to cut 3/8" off the pilot end & 'shim-out' the trans 1/2" for clearance(the clitch disc wasn't deep enough for the splines, & the pilot was too long for the depth, & I wasn't going to try to drill an accurate hole into the end of the crank on an assembled engine!) Always double check : no matter how long it takes, it's always shorter than tearing it all down after "final assembly"! How do I know this? Lets just say I tended to be a 'stubborn' child, so sure that I was right that I "didn't need to check"! (turning the same bolts twice gets OLD in a hurry!)

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't I already help you with this?

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You did but I havent had any luck mating shit together. That is why I asked for parts numbers(cluth disk part number ??????, pressure plate part number????). As many of these damn conversions that have been done I would sure think there should be parts numbers A guy can look up instead of going thru hundreds of pages in the search fourms. Im more of a fab guy and struggle when it come to the mechanical end