Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Saved From The Scrapyard (dont get excited)now with video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jul 11, 2014.

1. I passed this bus when it was on a rollback to the crusher. I was on the phone with the wife at this time and she told me I should check it out. I teach at a trade school and have been wanting an old bus for a shop project. The owner of the scrap yard has been very good to our school with giving us small bits and pieces for cars we fix. We worked out a fare deal on the bus and had it delivered to school.
    The bus is a early 60s B600 with a 292 y block. The plans are to remove at least 3 or 4 window sections to shorten and then slam. If I leave the yblock I have a tri power set up it. Our diesel instructor wants to put a diesel in it. I also have a 49 F5 front clip and cowl that is more than likely going to be used. Who knows IMG_4548.jpg

2. pretty cool man congrats. cant wait to see it slammed and shortened

3. I want to keep the straight axle and contacted Sid on dropping it but he told me it was to heavy for his equipment to handle. I have seen a bunch of frame swaps on these and did some measuring and most front suspensions are too wide, caint handle that mess. Our welding instructor informed me he is more than capable of narrowing a newer straight axle if necessary.
    Oh, and the widow maker wheels will not be used !

4. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

You can roll holy with that one. Post build pics!

5. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

I'm getting excited, that's pretty good save :)
    I would like to see build pics too.

6. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Thats a good name for it, "The Holy Roller."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

lewk likes this.
  7. I think what I would do is decide what I want my wheelbase to be and swap chassis to something later model, say F350 or larger Ford perhaps.

They built those bodies about the same for a long time, so the F5 nose should look fine with that body.

8. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

How much shorter? Small Bus or less?

9. I think a frame swap is a great idea,better brakes and suspension.

Shorten the bus to fit..Is see the "Holy Roller Short Bus." icon_lol.gif HRP

10. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Looking forward to the final result. Get on the bus!

11. Fenders

Fenders

Right place right time....
    Guess the man upstairs wanted this one saved.

12. Zerk

Zerk

Plenty of cool uses for a bus. It would be an interesting mobile shop, or enclosed car hauler.

13. I have been measuring some frames, newer fronts onf350/ f450 and gm 1 ton and larger have a track width from 6-12 inches wider than the track width from the f5 donor truck. They are wider than the current axle under the bus.
    Im going to shorten the bus body by first removing the side skin from the section being removed, then cut structure and floor. Pull the rear last window up to meat the front section. According to measurements , it will mate back together in a factory joint 3 windows shorter. I will then reassemble the skin and move the rear "fender" back to reduce rear overhang for better proportions. After that I will determine if I swap the frame or move the axle forward and use current frame.
    I had a crazy idea on the front suspension. I have a mid 30s 1.5 ton ford from axle assembly. Looks just like any ford axle just beefier. Split the bones and install just like on any other hot rod and add juice brakes. Just a thought

14. Just want to make a cool "suv" for the family

15. nice, thanks HAMB peoples

16. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Paint it up like the old "Partridge Family" bus.

17. noooooo! there is only one color for a school bus.

18. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Cool idea for the front, the mid 30's 1.5 ton axle should work great, if you can't find someone with equipment heavy enough to drop the axle you could do a small "Z" to the front of the frame or even a sweep to get the drop you want, wish I had a high school automotive class like yours when I was in high school, 30 years ago, Cool project!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. A friend of mine has a machine shop with a 100 ton hydraulic press, we may be able to do it if no one else will. However an axle flip is not out of the question either. I want the bus to have a nice hot rod rake and vibe

20. Please don't! HRP

21. amen, I would leave the paint as is before doing that. I hate that stinking partridge family music

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Yeah shorten it up, remove the "Philips Chapel" and "Church Of". Just leave the "Holy Christ".

My old boss had a saying, if anyone wanted credit or a discount on their car repairs, "if I wanted to work for nothing I would fix church buses" you are bringing his motto to life.

Saxman and lewk like this.
  23. With what they pay teachers I might as well fix church busses. I'm just glad I have a stash of saved parts to use.
    I have thought about leaving the "Jesus Saves" on the back door

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Jesus Saves......... Moses Invests........... Televangelists collect the dividends.

25. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

"Just want to make a cool "suv" for the family"

Have you ever rode in one of those for any lenght of time? I would think if it was a suv for the family and all the work you are planning, the suspension would be of a major consideration in my opinion. Why not afront end out of a 60's. Don't quote me but wasn't the top sspeed of a truck in the 30's about 40mph. Not to put your thoughts down because I have always thought about an old bus but was always looking for the small 53-56 ford ones.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What makes you think your family will want to ride in it?

27. well, the wife wanted me to check it out and the kids,14 and 11, think its cool. I told my 14 year old maybe by the time he turns 16 he can drive a bus to school

28. A far as the ride and top speed, the plan is to use a later rear with a better highway gear and I have a nv 4500 od 5spd I would like to use. Removing leafs and adding bags and or do a complete 2 link with bags will help the ride. The bus body is very similar if not the same as the ones used in the 50s and I have been looking for a shorter one for a long time but this one ended up a mile from school.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you considered setting the body on a new chassis? Around here school buses are usually retired before they are 10 years old, with under 100,000 miles (nothing on a commercial chassis). They are well maintained and go cheap.

Truck and bus chassis are straight rails of a standard width apart. It should not be hard to transfer the body to a different chassis.

30. yes been measuring and looking at that. Newer bus front axles are too wide. There is a 4500 chevy in a yard close to the house im going to measure and they also had a motorhome chassis last time I was there. I will do all the changes to the bus body while it is on it current frame. its a nice straight frame jig. The wheel base will be determined after the cut and proportions are figured out