Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LED Bulb Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gantrithor51, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Gantrithor51

Gantrithor51

Hey all!

I'm looking to put LED bulbs in a 1957 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. The tail light/brake light/blinker uses the 1157 bulb. When I tried them out, both blinkers would flash, one brighter than the other when the headlights were off. The license plate light would also flash. The rate of flash is still normal so I am not getting a "hyper flash". When I would turn the headlights on, the blinkers would work normally. The front bulbs and the dash bulbs are still incandescent. Does this sound like I might need load resistors? Is there anything else I need to look into or keep in mind when switching to LEDs?

Thanks!

Dan

2. sounds like one of the bulbs is not in correctly, and the contacts between the signal/brake and running light touching.

3. Gantrithor51

Gantrithor51

Would bulb grease affect that?

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Or a bad ground, probably on the dimmer bulb.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

No, should be dielectric (non conductive).

6. FYI: I read someware that a special blinker is needed for LED's, not the standard 1157 type blinker.

7. yes you will need an electronic flasher replacement for sure. The ones I have used have an external lead that is tied back to a ground. Check with any of the wiring vendors. they can help you out.

8. Gantrithor51

Gantrithor51

Ok, tried a handful of things. Here is where I am at... We purchased an electronic flasher. I double checked the wiring and the positive wire is on the correct side of the flasher. After that didn't work, we installed load resistors on the flasher wire (and grounded it to the car since there is no ground wire on the sockets) and tried them with both the standard flasher and the electronic one... Still no difference. When one bulb is replaced with an incandescent, they work just fine. I have tried all combinations of this too and they work how they are supposed to.

A review of the problem...when the turn signal is on both bulbs flash. On the bulb that the turn signal is activated for, the entire bulb flashes like it should, on the opposite bulb that the turn signal is activated for, only the tail light portion flashes. Along with both bulbs flashing, interior lights flash and the license plate light flashes. When the headlight/taillights are on, all the lights do what they are supposed to do.

Also, I exchanged the bulbs for new ones just to make sure those weren't the issue. Same problem still persists.

I'm totally stumped.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. Splinter

Splinter

You have a ground issue with your taillight socket. Pull out the whole taillight assemblies, clean any metal to metal contact areas that might be the ground for the bulbs. Your Flash voltage it backfeeding through your taillight wire and causing the lic plate light to flash.

10. I had a similar problem. I had LED tail lights and incandescent turn signals on the front- used an electronic flasher- no problem - changed the front turn signals to LED and turn signals wouldn't work- finally put incandescent bulbs back in the tail lights and presto- everything worked fine- I have only one flasher on my fuse panel-I think I need a different flasher specific to Low current draw LED lights- not enough voltage draw to trigger the flasher .Could be your problem too?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Did you have a problem before you started changing to the LEDs

12. sure sounds like a ground issue to me

13. When I had at least two incandescent bulbs-the signals worked fine-
    With 4 LEDs'-there was not enough draw for the electronic flasher to work properly. As soon as I put two incandescent bulbs back in- no problem- signals work fine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. LjH

LjH

Try running your no load flasher to an electronic control unit made to connect LED trailer lights to a vehicle. I bought mine at Walmart for less than $30.00. Put in in line before your tail light assemblies. That solved a similar problem I had when wiring my 41 pickup a couple of years ago.

15. Use a relay to cause a ground. I wired a cruise control for a friend. The instruction required
    That. It worked liked a champ. It wired in the cold side of the brake switch. Caused a heavier load on the brake lights circuit.

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

agreed, fix the grounding issues on both tail light sockets, then go from there. Once you get that working, your flasher will need to be replaced with an electronic version to get proper flash rates.