Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features **1941-1946 Chevy Truck Picture Thread**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ND55, You may not have the capability of viewing PDF files. When I click on a year of truck, I have a new window opened showing PDF files.

2. Kella

Kella

Just picked up this beauty for 1000.00 with clean title. Mostly complete, Hardly any rust through, It's a 42 gmc 3/4 ton, Plan on building a "rat rod" out of it.

Front clip, 216 I6 and trans will be for sale once I get it home along with more parts as I go.

Have a Mildly built 350 small block and for now will be running a th400 trans with future plans for a manual (Not a big fan of automatics)

Plan on chopping the cab 5" and channeling 3", shortening bed to about 4'x4' or 4'x5', running fenderless with a 34 ford grill.

BIG plans for this thing, And it will be my first project with my father who is retiring soon (excited about that one!)

anywho, Here are some pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have any of you ever seen false dually wheels like this? It has 2 tires on one wheel... weird!

[​IMG]

3. Coneboy

Coneboy

If that's a long bed (which it appears to be) you might want to consider selling it and purchasing a standard one to shorten. Those are getting very hard to find and you might be able to do well on it. Just a thought. Sounds like a cool project, any thoughts on starting a build thread? It would be cool to follow your vision and progress!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Kella

Kella

If someone was close, and needed it, I'd trade for a shortbed in similar condition just to help someone out. I'm in Springfield, MO

5. UglyAries

UglyAries
    from SW Ohio

New project I just picked up.[​IMG]

6. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Nice! Do you plan on swapping out the big truck front fenders? What are your plans?

7. UglyAries

UglyAries
    from SW Ohio

Not sure yet what I am going to do with the fenders. For now I am working on geting the drive train installed, Cab is going to the body shop to fix the a pillars and put it into primer. Hope to be on the rode by summers end.

8. biscuit23

biscuit23

Just found this thread . Great stuff
    This is my 46 that i just bought .

Attached Files:

9. Your front frame clip will most likely be to wide to run a standard 1/2 ton front fenders.

10. UglyAries

UglyAries
    from SW Ohio

Thanks for the information. Plan for now is to work with what came with the truck.

11. ajs

ajs

I`m going to be picking up a 1946 chevy 1/2 ton short bed from a friend of mine that is supposed to be all there except the frame. Original plan was to use a S-10 then starting thinking about building a frame and making it a fenderless "hot rod" type ( I know the "R" word isnt popular around here) with a shortened bed, chop the cab and slightly longer wheel base. After looking at some of the trucks in this thread I`m kinda up in the air what to do with it now. Dont have a lot of money to spend on a original frame and trying to find one around Sacramento, CA isnt easy. Any suggestions?

12. Read ALL of Crusty's posts!

13. Coneboy

Coneboy

Recent updates: I found a set of 4 new 7.50-20 mud tires for the rear and the score of the week for me was an original pair of rear fenders for the big trucks! Had to ship them from Denver but thanks to the PO, I now have a new shipping company. I didn't know that Fastenal also has a delivery/shipping service! The best part is - they are half the price of UPS and just as fast. Here are the pic's: (p.s. - the fender is just sitting up there to get a look)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eye bone and Novadude55 like this.
  14. caton462

caton462

Here's my 46 project, wanted to try glass work using Roth method.

Attached Files:

15. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Cool truck, those fenders look good. Thanks for the Fastenal tip.

16. Anyone have a old set of 41-46 rear bumper brackets they want to sell? Need the 4 that attach to the frame already have the two that are attached to the bumper. Jim Carter and others sell the entire set.

17. 100% Matt

100% Matt

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405063062.506069.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405063081.757738.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405063115.593632.jpg

Just finished this up for a customer. Quick 9 month build. Sids drop axle up front with disc brakes, 327/200r4 drive train, relocated gas tank and a custom exhaust. The customer wanted the faux patina paint so he wouldn't need to spend the money on body work. Thankfully it's a fairly straight truck. We only need to replace the doors and valance

eye bone and Novadude55 like this.
  18. fat141

fat141

19. fat141

fat141

Bloody photo bucket
    Rod

20. Hey Tango! Have you found the gears you're looking for yet? Is it an Eaton rear with the dropout punkin? I just found a set of gears to go in mine and will be pulling out the 5.43s in my truck. I'm going for some a bit taller to get me out on the highway...

21. Coneboy

Coneboy

It's alive! Finally fired up the motor in my '41. After getting it freed up and replacing the usual stuff it started right up. Gonna put the rear up on jack stands and let her idle to warm up the trans and diff before replacing their fluids. Fortunately the brakes are free and the trans shifts , so I'm optimistic. More to come...,.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406330186.354553.jpg

http://vid1284.photobucket.com/albu...7-4A03-4CEF-B427-B308F92FD3BE_zpsb5808d96.mp4

Novadude55 likes this.
  22. Coneboy

Coneboy

Surprise, surprise.....It moves! I had the gas tank cleaned out & sealed, then got inside and fired her up. Then came the moment of truth. I dropped in in first gear and slowly let the clutch out. YEEHA!!! It moved ahead very smoothly under it's own power. OK, now let's try reverse. I pulled up on the reverse lockout, slid it into gear, eased out the clutch and sure enough - it backed up!!! This truck is almost too good to be true after what I went through building my '51. The more I do, the more I think the 48,909 miles on the odometer might be accurate. Now it's time to rebuild that bed........

Novadude55 likes this.
  23. I hadn't run my ol 41 since last fall when I switched the single 4 team G to an rpm air gap dual quad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the ever changing world I live in, here is the next change and now I need to build a new short block....ha ha

[​IMG]

24. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

Finally got my wife's 46 back on the road. It's mostly original except for the '58 235, 37 Chevy wheels and 12 volt conversion. The thing sat for 4 years untouched, i put a battery in it, and it fired right up! It's a work in progress, but she can drive it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411496101.861048.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411496117.528540.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411496131.893935.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411496146.333784.jpg

MO_JUNK likes this.
  25. gma1965

gma1965

I see that a few folks have done a nice job of mounting the early 40s bodies on modern GM 1 ton 2wd chassis with the wheels staying inside the stock fenders. How did you do that??? The stock 1945 1.5ton measure 64” wide outside the tires. The 1973-87 1 ton is the same as the 3/4 ton measuring 78”.

So far my thoughts on doing this have been the following, If you have something simpler please tell me.

I really want 4wd but want as close to stock ride height as possible. My idea was to use a stock ¾ ton 4x4 solid axles front and rear, use dually rims to get about 3” of negative offset. Since the dually rims will be mounted on the narrower axle hubs they will hit the tie rod ends so thought of using 19.5 or 20 inch rims to go over the tie rod ends.
    The only other issue I see is when the steering is turned to the right the tires will hit the pitman arm so will have to tweak with that a bit and still lose a few degrees turning radius to the right.

Sure would be easier to follow OneCrustyOne’s method of using Isuzu chassis. I was over at his place and he has mastered that, unfortunately I need to pull a 10,000lb trailer so need ¾-1 ton running gear.

Some of the folks on this thread who seem to have done something like this are:
    WARRIOR1
    carlisle1926
    Wingedexpress
    lockwoodkustoms
    firemansteve
    OneCrustyOne

26. UglyAries

UglyAries
    from SW Ohio

27. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

First time I've ever seen one of those,, very cool:cool:

28. [​IMG]

1941 Church Army CHevrolet

29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I am just south of Merced, about 2hrs away, I have put three 41-46's on s10 frames,
    pm me for more info