Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 DESOTO Firesweep

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baker53, Jan 28, 2014.

1. baker53

baker53

Thanks for the comments on the paint work. The guy doing the work has really done a great job. If this car's original paint had been as good as the pictures made it look, I might have left it as is, but like sheep, pictures lie. I have seen many great looking cars with the original paint and some not so good. This one was not so good. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. baker53

baker53

Hi Mike, thanks for your comments. Yes, that spring bender sure was a great thing to be given. I have only used it a few times, but it did the job well every time. I am not looking forward to re-installing the assembled front bumper. That thing weighs a ton and and I think it will take about four guys to put it back on. Back when I was in high school with a '57 Firesweep like this one, I had removed the front bumper for a different look. I must have be stronger or braver back in '62 when I put it back on. I don't remember it being such a big job.

3. baker53

baker53

Some of the Oil $$$ sure would be nice. The stainless polishing and the pot metal repair prices have really gone out of sight. I tried doing some of the stainless polishing, but my work compared to the work done by the pro was pitiful; so I ended up taking everything to him. I agree with you, there sure were some great looking MOPAR's as well as other cars back then. My '57 Firesweep back in '62 was black and gold and I gave a little thought to having this car painted those colors, but I sure am glad I didn't.

4. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Your wife might let you ride in the trunk when your finished. The car should be a great investment for your heirs when you go to the big "Garage in the Sky" .

5. baker53

baker53

She and a friend of hers are already planning a "Thelma & Louise" road trip in it. Hopefully, without the drive over the cliff. On the "great investment", not so sure about that with all the expenses re-doing it.

6. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I don't think you can put a $$$ figure on your enjoyment of driving a car such as this. I hope to see this car when I go to San Antonio before the years up. Keep up the good work!!!

7. baker53

baker53

Car has been painted and it cooked for a week or two and now the wet sanding of the clear is taking place. While that is going on, I have been re-assembling the engine bay and attached a few pictures.

desoto work 151.jpg desoto work 127.jpg desoto work 128.jpg desoto work 129.jpg desoto work 130.jpg desoto work 133.jpg desoto work 135.jpg desoto work 136.jpg desoto work 137.jpg desoto work 138.jpg desoto work 147.jpg desoto work 150.jpg

8. big M

big M

Excellent job, Bill, won't be too long now!

---John

9. baker53

baker53

Thanks John. BTW, I cleaned up the anti-sway bar I got from you and installed the new bushings. After I get the car back home, I'll get busy welding in the brackets on the frame.

desoto work 104.jpg

10. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Do thos small Diameter sway bars help that much??? I have some on 3 of my '59 imperials,

11. baker53

baker53

Probably not a lot, but I am hoping some...

12. baker53

baker53

Pretty much finished the engine bay. Wet sanding on the body continues and hopefully, the final polishing and buffing will start any day now. Also picked up the last of the front pot metal pieces and interior trim pieces from the chrome shop today. I think all told, there are about 80 pieces of trim inside and out to install.

desoto work 154.jpg desoto work 152.jpg desoto work 153.jpg

13. baker53

baker53

The car has now been sanded with 2000 grit and polished. Doors and trunk lid re-installed; weather-stripping to be installed tomorrow and then start re-installing the stainless trim, pot metal parts, and the bumpers.
    desoto work 158.jpg desoto work 161.jpg desoto work 159.jpg desoto work 160.jpg

14. froghawk

froghawk

Really beautiful work, Bill!

15. baker53

baker53

I spent a few hours at the body shop today installing trim and rubber weatherstrips, etc. The rear portion of the car is about done and we are moving forward to the front. I had to remove the vent window assemblies for some rework. The 1/4" door glass wont fit into the division bar "U" channel so I am going to fashion a 1/4" steel plate and widen the channel a bit.

desoto work 164.jpg desoto work 162.jpg desoto work 163.jpg

16. baker53

baker53

Brought the '57 Desoto Firesweep home from the body and paint shop this morning. Lots of work to do before I take it to the upholstery shop. Hopefully, I will be able to get it over there in a week or two. I listed below a time-line on the car so far as well as some pictures.

Day # Date Activity
    1 2-15-14 Car arrived from Iowa
    13 2-28-14 Completed engine repairs
    30 3-15-14 Completed brake repairs
    41 3-26-14 Started floor repairs
    56 4-13-14 Installed new exhaust system
    75 4-29-14 Completed front suspension rebuild
    75 4-29-14 Started body & paint work
    103 5-27-14 Started chrome plating work
    133 6-26-14 Completed chrome plating work
    145 7-08-14 Completed body & paint work

desoto work 172.jpg desoto work 166.jpg desoto work 167.jpg desoto work 168.jpg desoto work 169.jpg desoto work 170.jpg desoto work 171.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  17. gatz

gatz

coming along nicely.

18. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

What a gorgeous car....congratulations on the build. One thing though, the plastic fuel filter could be shall we say 'an issue' down the road. Please do yourself a favor and get a metal one....better to be safe than sorry.

19. baker53

baker53

ZAPPER68: Thanks for the comment on the car. I will do as you suggest on the fuel filter.

20. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I was going to comment on that fuel filter but some people get offended. However, I would like to have one of those colored gas caps. LOL Can you put me in your "Will"as the Chauffeur.

21. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Car is gorgeous to say the least. Glad you kept the modifications to a minimum. Car is just to nice and rare to cut up.

22. baker53

baker53

Will do regarding the "Will"... BTW, on the fuel filter, I had planned to put a better metal canister type filter in the gas line before the fuel pump. On my first test drive in the car, I could not get above about 50 mph. It turned out to be the 50+ year old ceramic filter in the glass bowl just ahead of the carb was all calcified and restricted fuel flow a bunch. I took the ceramic filter out of the glass bowl and put in the plastic one I had in the shop to test the car again. All was OK after that, but I have not removed that plastic filter and will do so.

23. Mark C.

Mark C.

Man, that is one beautiful car. Keep up the good work!

24. baker53

baker53

Thanks Mark. I'll keep plugging along. I am working on rear quarter glass seals today. It took 2 hours to get the glass out and install the new seal on the right side. Hopefully, not as long on the left side.

25. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I meant painted gas caps. LOL , some people from the south might get the wrong idea on my previous choice of words.

26. randy

randy

Great work! Have had a major crush on the '57 Desotos lately. That back bumper might be the coolest back bumper to come out of the 50's...

Gorgeous car.

27. baker53

baker53

Thanks Randy, I kinda like it myself....

28. baker53

baker53

Good day here this Monday. I finally fixed the problem I was having with pulsing brakes. While replacing the hub/drum assemblies on the rear I found that the grease seal on the left rear axle was shot. The shoes and drums were smeared with axle grease. Cleaned everything up and put on the new hub / drum assemblies plus new grease seals and no more pulsing brakes. I also replaced the fuel line from the tank to the pump and installed a metal cased fuel filter in the line. The temporary plastic fuel filter I had close to the carb inlet is now history.

29. baker53

baker53

Painting the lower portion of the dash today in Argent Silver. The upper portion has been painted so I will get busy installing the dash components and the chrome plated garnish moldings tomorrow.

desoto work 177.jpg desoto work 175.jpg desoto work 176.jpg

30. baker53

baker53

Finished the dash and installed the garnish moldings around the inside of the windshield.

desoto work 180.jpg desoto work 178.jpg

George likes this.