Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects interior upholstery work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TudorTony, Jul 7, 2014.

1. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

Hey guys, anybody know of an upholsterer who takes work shipped to him and is reasonable. Local shops in NJ are out of their mind with the pricing. I want a couple of '67 442 buckets and the rear seat done. Or somebody reasonable in NJ who I could bring them to?
    Tony

2. No covers available for this car,that you an do yourself, or with the help of someone????Or did you want a Custom job??
    JT

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

I can give you the name and number of someone here in CT who does excellent work at very reasonable prices, if you're interested.

4. I recently had my customer's '54 Chevy 210 4 door, done by a guy here, in Orlando. His original estimate was $5g's to redo the entire inside, wound up costing the owner $6500, but it looks absolutely killer. Grey and white two tone. White headliner. Won best interior at a little show, this past Saturday. I was so stoked to walk up on stage and get the trophy, on his behalf. Out of town for the summer, so I am taking care of the car. This stuff don't come cheap anymore. Good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good.
    JT

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well if you send them out of town or state, how are you going to keep track of progress , materials quality etc. If you find someone that is cheaper the shipping and tracking will eat any savings. I have done work from 5 states and am qualified to speak. Cost for me to do those seats in a nice vinyl , rebuild as needed would start at 2000. Good luck Jack

6. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

Ouch, $2 grand, guess I'm out of touch on pricing. While I haven't tried it before there's a first time for every thing. I can buy the stock covers for front buckets and rear seats including new foam for about $500. Didn't want to but guess I'll do it my self.

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The dragon lady on Fast and Loud does an entire car for $1200...

8. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

Stevie, that was my thought and true a few years ago around here but the vintage car craze of the last few years has really changed that in Pa. and NJ, the ones I've talked to want $1500 to $2000 just to do the seats as 56Premiere / Jack says would be his price.

9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

new covers should be available and a buddy here usually charges about $500 labor to strip and install owner supplied new covers and foam if supplied. This is for buckets and rear seat.

10. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

Nice Nomad, I had a '57 in Roman red. Price sounds more in line. I'll check on shipping and let you know, thinking from NJ to Michigan might be prohibitive.
    Thx

11. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

The 500 to install premades is just about what I charge. Labor only , hogrings foam as needed, adds about 10. Jack

12. Good work comes with a cost !! Cheap is very seldom good . I have done my own in past and still spent $2000 lots of work but saved on labor ( most shops good shops in Wisconsin start at 3500 for a full interior and just go up )

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of it will depend on the quality of cover you buy as well. If twisted seams and crooked patterns are ok with you it's a cake walk, but to stretch em on nice and square up the foam, blah, blah, blah, time is $$$. I did a 62 Impala a few yrs ago. Nothing fit properly. Wrong foam, covers too small, crooked lines. None of it would show up until they were near completely installed. Even with the client's inspection and their own chase of better stuff it still took almost twice the hrs estimated and he was still pissed at us. Sadly I had to remind him that it wasn't our product but it didn't seem to matter. He'd have been fighting mad if we just slapped on what he brought.

14. I am getting my complete interior done by a really talented guy in a small town east of Denver for $4k. That includes seats, door panels, kick panels, headliner and carpet. I have never had a full interior done before and about shit my pants when I heard the price. Turns out it is quite a deal at least here in the Denver area....

15. What do you call reasonable? I have a fat luckys interior ( seats front and rear) that ran me above 2K and below 5K.

16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It's true you get what you pay for, but some of us don't want a trophy job. You can't spend $6,500 on a car that's worth $10,000 when it's done.

17. No but the problem is most guys who want to spend $1000 want it to look like a $6500 job. I did my own interior on a '37 pickup so small and I have to have close to $1000 in materials alone and upholstery work is very labour intensive so it ads up quickly.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Once you do interior work, you'll realize why the cost is what it is.

And doing interior work is rather unforgiving, you're the last to get the car so deadlines are usually tight. And since you're the last one to work on the car, the client has exhausted their budget and wants top notch work for pennies.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

I am pretty fastidious once I start a project and know it will look great when complete. Just thought I try to avoid what I know will be ( as confirmed by several ) a real PIA. With the cost factor I'll go for it. Have gotten good reports from others on the quality of PUI, Distinctive Interiors, and The Paddock. All approx the same cost for upholstery for buckets and rear seats, + or - $500. Custom formed foam another $200 which I understand is a big help on looking good. Also heard hair blower dryers help loosen up on installation.
    Thx for all the comments.
    Tony

20. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

You can do it , if you have trouble fitting ,ask this board there are some very talented people here. Jack

21. oldolds

oldolds

If you can fit a fender or install an engine on your car, you can install an interior kit.
    I once priced a convertible top on a car. The every place I called gave me the same price to instal,l was $1200 with the top. The top cost $225 at the time. I bought the top, an air staple gun, and more stainless staples than I needed. I figured I could mess it up 4 times and still be cheaper.

22. The hair dryer didn't work with us but a heat shrinking gun does the job of stretching the material over the foam. HRP

23. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

pack it up and send to Beachbum Jim on here. Look him up.

24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I feel your pain! You guys outside of the NY, NJ area can't imagine.
    A nice looking job around here, for a full size car, headliner to carpet, BEGINS at 10K. And that's vinyl, not leather. I've heard of jobs going for 20K and up for something really nice.

25. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Have you tried......
    http://www.4allyourupholsteryneedsnj.com/
    Great work, reasonable prices.
    They would do the overflow work from the custom interior shop I worked at,
    and charged 1/2 the price my boss charged.

26. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

no heat gun, use a steamer.....

27. TudorTony

TudorTony
    from NJ

That's pretty close, I will give them a call and get an estimate.
    Thx Crystal Blue

28. PUI makes decent seat covers and new foam is a must on 47 year old seats. If you want something more sporty checkout TMI. They make top notch replacement seat covers and offer several custom upgrades for about the same price as PUI. Check em out... http://www.tmiproducts.com/chevy/browse-by-category/sport-seats.html?find=1967-chevelle-coupe-85 . 67 Chevelle and 442 seat frames are basically the same.
    Heat guns can easily melt vinyl so if you use one be mindful. I like to throw the covers in the direct sunlight for an hour or so then stretch em into place. After you get them installed, stick them back in the sun for an afternoon and let them cook.

29. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

I had a set of '69 Cougar buckets redone and refoamed for 850 out the door. Nothing fancy, just black vinyl and styled just like factory. The seat cover kits would have totalled that alone without install. Check out the local mom and pop places in your city.

30. Labor intensive if you farm it out, just like body work. I had to decide myself so i did a bit of both Looks like it to. Pay up or collect comics i guess.