Register now to get rid of these ads!

17 year old VS 1928 Model A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nelsoncoupe, Jul 6, 2014.

1. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

What missysdad wrote is perfect. Only thing I would ad is don't get discouraged. Make it SAFE! Both for you, and everyone elses benefit. And post pics, please.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  2. You got a chance to build a kickass car, take advantage. You're young, no matter how much money you can spend at a time, it will be worth it. You will enjoy it more along the way. You kinda take more pride in your build if you have to do it a little a time, rather then just having all the cash to buy all you need.
    Enjoy your new toy :):cool:

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Yeah... what I said :)
    Use the KISS method of building... Keep it simple stupid
    There is no need to buy Z'd frames, coil overs or anything else like that. Most of the old school rods were scratched together by guys ( and a few gals) using parts and pieces they could find at a scrap yard... now we have swap meets to make it easier. Go to as many as you can and just get what you can use either now or in the future if the price is right.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  4. Another thing to keep in mind,Rome wasn't built in a day and nether are hot rods,time is on your side. HRP

nelsoncoupe and sko_ford like this.
  5. white64

white64
    from Maine

:(White walls = "R" rod... Who knew!!?

Just stick with your vision, and take your time. You're going to learn alot about cars, other car guys and yourself.

I remember my first hot rod (barely, it was 34 years ago now), but I do remember there were more doubters than supporters, I found that the doubters drove me to finish more-so than the supporters, it kinda gave me the drive to prove them wrong. Somtimes if you want something bad enough and can stick with it, it can all fall in place...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. With only a $50 budget after you purchase a few good books on what to do you will be broke.

You will have to keep your dreams simple for now & not complicate it all with expensive custom stuff. Work on restoring what you already have & only spend on that for now.

Perhaps the first thing on the list is get a job & don't piss Momma off so you can still live & eat at home to conserve funds & save for the next needed part.
    Your Dad wised up when Momma said don't do another one & you did not so you need to really need to Keep her happy now. That should be your MAIN goal.

For the present situation only work on what you have at hand. Sand & prime, etc. Then figure out exactly what is the NEXT MOST NEEDED item that would be ready to install or refurbish to keep anevenflow on progression. Try not to buy for the future, buy only what you can install or use right now. This is going to be a long project so make solid plans & stick with them so nothing you buy now will be wasted & not needed later.

Good luck, Jim

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  7. pumpman

pumpman

For what it is worth, I'm an old fart, bought my 32 around 1990, it ran and was stock with a 4 banger. Played with as is for a couple of years because I didn't know what direction I wanted to go with. Well its been a long time of collecting parts and doing the frame work but I'm probably a year away from it being back on the road.

So, be patient like everyone said, there is no schedule. You will hit a wall or two but it's just part of the journey. Make it safe, so no rushing. Stay on coarse and you will succeed! Glad to see you took the project on and nothin but good luck to ya. "nuf sed".

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  8. Go to car shows and show and shines. When you see a car or modification you like, ask the owner questions. You may make friends in the process.

Have fun. When it's not so fun take a break.

9. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

Not every hot rod with whitewalls is considered a "r" rod. You have them, yours is obviously a traditional. I am a blackwall supporter all the way, though.

10. nelsoncoupe

nelsoncoupe

Thanks for all the support guys! More pictures to come, the car isn't at my house. Mom forbid it. Right now I'm working on getting an engine and tranny. Once I have that, I'll take everything off the frame, spray some rust oleum on it, then install a drop axle and reverse eye rear spring. Hopefully I can figure out how to get the front tires to not stick out so far like they do now. Then the engine and transmission will go in once it's a rolling chassis.

11. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

As long as the frame you've got is straight and sturdy, there's no reason not to use it.
    Buy the Tardell/Bishop book everyone's suggesting. Read it. Also look at Practical Fabrication and Assembly Techniques by Wayne Scraba.

Are there transverse spring mounts on the rear end already? That rear is open drive, so you can put whatever you can fit in there and afford to get it moving. Inline 6's (Falcon 6, Big 6, Flat 6, Chevy 250) tend to be cheap but are a bit long and could be tough to fit in your build. A GM 350 isn't a bad suggestion for a low-buck, mileage minded build. They can be dressed up to look vintage with some nice valve covers. I just saw 3 350 blocks, two with 4 bolt mains, go to the scrapper recently after nobody would pay $200 for the lot of them... so they can be found cheap for sure. You can run a T5 behind one for overdrive mileage. No, it's not a 3 spd behind a flathead but it will fit your needs until you can afford to build that.

It looks like you have a stock Model A front end. You are going to want 37-48 spindles (new or original) to run juice brakes. F1 spindles and brakes are another option (cheaper usually but more work in some ways). There are juice conversion kits for the mechanical brakes, but I'd say you're better off just saving up and buying different spindles & brakes. Your rear end looks to have brakes, drums, and hubs, so you're best off rebuilding those and finding wheels to fit the 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern for the back (which should be fairly easy and inexpensive because everybody usually wants the 5 on 5-1/2" stuff).

To get LOW, you'll want a reverse eye front spring and consider using spring behind or in front mounts for the front axle. This can be done to get way low with or without a dropped axle.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  12. I had the same thing happen to me, it's not your ability or drive or perseverance they see, it's your age and bank account!..boy did I have fun proving them wrong!!!!

13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I'm jealous

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  14. Lord I hope not...HRP

[​IMG]

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

What he said^^^^^^^
    043.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

Shop around for discarded stock parts. You have more time than money. Clean, sand prime( spray cans). Don't get in a hurry. Sell the Harley frame holding door closed to buy what you need.

17. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

Get off the internet and get to every outdoor show and swapmeet you can in person. Carry pictures of your project and a list of everything you need. When more experienced hot rodders see a 17 year old out there trying to do it for the 1st time, tips, help and even parts will fall like manna from heaven.

cptn60, nelsoncoupe and patmanta like this.
  18. chubbie

chubbie

Wish you lived closer to me! we'd have some fun!!! We would Z your model A frame, drop your A axle reverse your spring, put some juice brakes on it, find a 305 chevy??? or use one of mine so far none of this cost anything!!!! Just think what fun we would have with your $50!!!!!!

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  19. A similar situation Joe or (Skatermann). Another young kid who was from CA then moved to HI then back to CA. He had advise, help and parts falling from the sky!, he's 16 and is still working on his 5 window Model A/lakes style build.

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  20. pitman

pitman

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  21. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Save up and find a beater with a small block around here I could buy a rusted beat up c10 monte carlo mustang ram ect.. for around 400 bucks pull the engine trans battery ect.. and after parting out useable peices and scrapping the rest end up making money off it. Or keep an eye out in driveways and side yards for vehicles that have been sitting even with scrap going up people have given me cars a few times. Use the frame you have find a buddy that can weld and learn how and start making sparks. Later on if you get tired of the small block chevy /ford /mopar you can build the hemi flatty nailhead ect.. your lucky to be 16 and have a freaking model a roadster! Just make sure what your doing is safe and look on here as much as possible for good ideas and inspiration

22. elba

elba

If you could find an old Postal Delivery truck, that little 4 cyl Chevy and powerglide tranny would get you moving. Radiator and other parts would work also.

23. Yeah, that doesn't get any better than that, except for starting off with a '32 roadster!!

24. I threw this together out of stuff I had laying around. Now, mind you I had a lot of A parts already. But the only big expense was the body, grill shell and tires.

[​IMG]

I drove it for a year and had a blast. Then tore it apart and started to V8 it. My Brother bought it and finished it. Still not a ton of money in it if you are smart about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nelsoncoupe likes this.
  25. Didn't I see this car in a for sale ad somewhere ? Was it on the Hamb ?

26. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

27. one piece of advise- HAVE FUN
    find a few local people who will let you help them out and pay you in parts and knowledge.
    buy some books!

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Use the stock frame and everything else you have ( I even run the mechanical brakes-Ahhhhh!!!)Pick up a stock drivetrain for peanuts, and awaaaaaay you go! Start with a nice little 4 cyl., save your dough, and put in a nice little V-8. End of story. (IT all takes TIME and PLANNING) (or a fat checkbook) Good luck- don't get discouraged. Model A's are the coolest things going! Almost forgot a very important thing- ask around your area and find guys who are into Model A's- usually they have enough "spare parts" kicking around to build THREE cars- it's part of the illness( and why I love it!) And the fact that you're young and eager to learn will help a ton making friends in "the community" ( of car nuts) Mike from Mass.

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  29. missysdad1

missysdad1

Ding, ding, ding!!! Jerry Rice gets it!