Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mullins trailer; what are these worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petritl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. swany

swany
    from Winnipeg

I have one for sale that is in about the same condition for $2,000. Hard to find an all steel one especially with the hitch and stand that is correct. Most have been modified

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Mullet.

Sorry, couldn't resist (as usual). I'm not surprised original all steel versions are going for high dollars, even a new glass version is over 2K, right? Gary

3. MAXWELL

MAXWELL

still have the mullins?
    [email protected]

4. His profile say's he hasn't been on line for almost 2 years, HRP
    swany was last seen:
    Apr 27, 2014

5. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

I just can't believe I'm actually going to get to say this first!!

"It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Paid for it! Two yrs. Old...

7. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I WILL SELL MY GLASS ONE!
    NICE! READY TO GO! ALUMIN WHEELS
    I JUST DON'T USE IT ANYMORE.
    KIDS ARE GROWN NOW!
    $1300.00
    EMAIL FOR PICTURES will take less!! Make me a offer?
    [email protected]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. k9racer

k9racer

I found one about 60 miles away . It has the original stove and camp equipment and is equiped six lug artillery type 16 inch wheels . The only thing not original was the coupler for the hitch.. I offered 25 hundred then 28 hundred and then I got asked to leave his property.

9. I was a Mullins Owner Club Member For over 25 Years. There was Article In 1979 Rod Action Mag.The Club was Started by 2 Men from ST. Paul & Minneapolis. Mike Maxwell & Bob Parmelee. They Put out the quarterly For Many Years. Very well Run Club. Had about 300 to 450 Club Members @ Any one Time. With a Classified Ad Section. Each Month, It had a Front Picture Cover of a Member's Trailer. A Featured Story on the Member & Build. Several Members offer RePop Mullins Parts. Mike & Bob Research the Trailer History Information. Trailer were made in 1936 & Ended in 1937. Custom Orders were an Option. The Factory Standard Color was Gun Metal Grey. Black & White were a Common Color, as Well as Custom Factory Colors Option. Trailer Sold For $119.00. The Trailer's S/N is on a Metal Tag. Located on the OutSide Frame Rail, at the Center under the Tail Gate. Trailer had many uses, Carrying Luggage, camping & Hunting Equipment, Trades Men, Salesmen, Custom Advertising, ex. Mobil Oil With a Flying Pegasus, etc. Mullins also Made a Custom Window Model & a Higher Raised Roof Model. Bob Willis & The Texas Doe-boys used these Trailers to carrier their Band Equipment. They used 1938 Buick Sedan to pull their Trailers. I meet the Man, who has Bob Wills Trailer. I found a Picture of Bob Wills & Band with their Buick's & Mullins Trailers. The Picture was in the Last Sunday Magazine Feature of the Dallas Times Herald 12/09/91. The Serial #'s Started @ 1,000. The highest Serial # I REMEBER was about 4,400 Plus Something. My Trailer was S/N 1966. My trailer had a Stock Cast Iron Hitch With a T-Handle that fit into Cast Hitch. This was to Pickup the Trailer to Move it Around. The Trailer Hitch had a screw in Shaft, Shaped like the end of a Car Spindle. At the end of the Shaft, there was a Flat Piece T-Shaped 1/8 Thickness metal. this had a Steel Pin, so you folded over under the Cast Hitch. you could then lock the Hitch Spindle with a lock. A Club Member Reproduced the Cast Iron Hitch, Steel Lock Spindle, & the T-Handle, Which was handy to move the Trailer. Club Member also made A Cast Aluminum License Plate Topper (Red Cap Running Bellhop) & the Original Mullins Decal of Red Cap Running Bellhop. The most Common Wheel Pattern was the 6 Lug Chevy, Followed by Ford 5X5.5, Then Chrysler 5X4.5 in 16 inch Artillery Wheels. The Trailer used 1936 Ford TrunkBack Chrome Latches & Locks. The Tail light Stand Was Made of a Channel Steel Bracket & Common Retail Rounded Tail-light Bucket, A Canvass Tent Thrown over the (Raise Lid) , it had 2 Air-matress & 2 Air-Pillows were Include. The Tents Opening was at the Middle of the Rear Tailgate with a Vertical Brass Zipper. The Length was from the Bottom of the Tailgate to the Top of the Trailer Lidd. On both Sides their was a Canvass Rectangle Flap. This had Pull Strings to Open the Flaps from inside the Trailer. Bob Kennedy of Colorado, Had these Tents Made & Sold thru Ad in the Clubs Quarterly. On my Trailer, I had a Heavy Steel Plate Spare Tire Carrier for 16 Wheel. When I say Plate it was 1/4 Inch Thickness & had a X Bead Rolled on both Sides. The Back end is Rounded & the Front End is Squared. The Front End had A Hinge Folded Down Cover to Remove the Spare Tire. It had a Turnbuckle Latch, (Made with 3/8 Rod Bend in a U-Shape). It had a Half Cup Bracket Holder to Fold up the Steel Tube Trailer Stand. When Trailer was in Use. I heard there was another Trailer like mine,by a Club Member. My Trailer was Gun Metal Grey. I Purchase my Trailer from a Guy at 1981 NSRA Columbus Meet. He was from New Orleans. I Purchased it for $700. He Accepted & I Went to New Orleans to pick it Up. I bought Several Items from Club Members, over the 25+ Years in the Club. Ford Hub Axle. The Axle was made from a Miniature RailRoad Steel Rail!!! The 1936 Trunk Hinges had been Custom Bronze items by the Club Members. Later made by Bob Drake. I loan my Trailer to Make a Mold for A Fiberglass Trailer. It has a Lift off top & Folding Tailgate & 2 Original Style Fenders. I purchase a Spare Trailer Frame from a Club Member in Florida. I still have both Trailers. (Not For Sale). In 1982, I went to the Fall Pate Swap Meet in Cresson,Tx. I went there to sell My Part Collection, & use the Trailer to Sleep in & watch my Parts. As,I went in past the Gate, I had Several Guys looking at My Trailer. Two guys, came Up wanting to buy myTrailer! Told them, ( It's NOT FOR SALE!) They Wouldn't (Take NO!) they Bided $5,000. Finally I lost my Temper,& in No uncertian Terms was it for Sale! They Bugged me all thur the Swap Meet! These Trailer were made in Salem, Ohio. The Company also made Steel Boats, Statues, Cord auto Sheet Metal Parts, Metal Kitchens Cabinet, WWII Sheet Metal Items, Here's a Story Not to many People Know about! Even the Club Members, Don't know it. I meet a Guy, that his Father work for Mullins, he Told me that they were expanding the Company Buildings. They had the Foundation Wooden Forms built & were Pouring Concrete on a Late Friday Afternoon. They were low on Concrete. So, they had NOS Fender, Hoods, Grills, & Used them For Filler Material. They Covered over them with Concrete that afternoon! These were teens, 20's, 30's Other Various Makes & Models Of Cars & Trucks. This was in the Late 40's or Early 1950. Mike Maxwell passed, sometime in 90's, Bob Moved to McKinney Texas & Ran the Club. But, he had a Member to take over the Club. Bob & Mike Published a HardBound Book On the Mullins Trailer. They interview the Original Engineer & Designer. They Wrote his Story! An Excellent Book, With Color Sales Brochure & Original material. Only $35.00 A Bargain & a Steal at That! AnyBody Interested in The History or Story of Mullins Trailers, Must Buy this Book! We all OWE BOB & MIKE a BIG THANK YOU! for Starting a Mullins Club & Saving the History! Anyway, I'm sure I've left Out Something's & Other People who've Also Contributed to the Club & History of Mullins Trailers. I apologize For any mistakes.
    BigDTexasKid

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  10. jazz1

jazz1

This was a enlightening article regarding the price commanded by original Mullins trailers. I would want a big elfin' pin lock on hitch to prevent any nogoodniks from carting trailer away.

11. Asphalt Demon likes this.
  12. Maybe they go on the down low in his part of town. :rolleyes:

You pull them behind a car without a trunk when you are on vacation. They are like a portable trunk.

I don't know that they have any real value, I suppose that boils down to need. if you don't need one and you are not going on vacation anyway I don't suppose that they are worth much at all. Its a lot like asking what a Sunen Hone is worth, well lets see I don't know how to use one, I don't do automotive machine work, not worth anything to me, but they sell pretty high anyway.I do know that they usually sell for enough that if I wanted one I would build a glass one and be happy with it.

13. FASI

FASI

I have an original steel one for sale. It has the original wheels and hubcaps, tires are older style in good condition at least for display. Original hitch and front stand. Fenders need the most work and dents in the tailgate. The tub and top are rust free. I want $4800 for it as it sits.

Attached Files:

14. John Marietta

John Marietta

15. I don't claim to be an expert but have always liked the Mullins trailer. In my opinion they are the only trailer that looks like it belongs behind an early Ford. I have watched the prices for a distance since I don't really need a trailer. My take is that $3000 is about right for the trailer in post #44 assuming that nothing shows up on a closer inspection.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I recently sold a nice Mullins that needed no body work, was in primer and did not have the original wheels or hitch for 4000.00?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  17. Larry T

Larry T

Which would be a little over $2000.00 in todays dollars.
    This stuff never was "cheap". :D

belair likes this.
  18. belair

belair

Wow. The things you learn. Takes all kinds.

19. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I WILL SELL MY GLASS ONE!
    NICE! READY TO GO! ALUMIN WHEELS
    I JUST DON'T USE IT ANYMORE.
    KIDS ARE GROWN NOW!
    $1300.00
    EMAIL FOR PICTURES will take less!! Make me a offer?
    [email protected]

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah, he lets the kids in the car now!! LOL..I've seen the trailer, it is nice...[shamless bud plug]..

21. racemad55

racemad55

Has anyone used the repair panels that Ed Carr offers ?