Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Voice your opinion on a color.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim636, Jul 2, 2014.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

PRIMER has been here in every decade. It used to be what you put on a car before you painted it.

33sporttruck likes this.
  2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Yup, whatever you do, do it shiny.
    Beer Bottle Brown with copper pin stripe.

3. Flat black is done to death!
    Lately here in LA I've seen flat black, Kia's, Mercedes,Honda's, a "Cube" a
    Smart Car" and....a Prius!
    PLEASE!
    Back in the day, flat primer just meant you weren't finished yet!

X38 and Special Ed like this.
  4. Todd M.

Todd M.

Custom, but flat? I would do a gold flake base coat with satin clear coat with that body style, or keep it in the metal flake - many choices out there.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  5. Sombreros

Sombreros
    from Tilghman

deep maroon GLOSSY..

6. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

You guys are coming up with some great options here. I guess I should of said I'm trying to do this low budget and I really don't think my body work is up to par for a dark shiny color that's why I was thinking something flat. I really do appreciate all the comments gives me a lot to think about.

7. Sombreros

Sombreros
    from Tilghman

8. Same here. If ever there was a sign to move on, that's it.

And BTW, "Hot Rod Flatz Burgundy" sure is a fancy way to say red oxide primer.

dad-bud and Gary Reynolds like this.
  9. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

[QUOTE/]I have a folder of cool fifties era colours saved on my computer for quick reference.[/QUOTE]

What images can you offer in the way of medium blue metallics? Please label the year and make they come from if it isn't apparent from the image. Thanks!

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Cripes, a while back, I saw a bevel drive Ducati on an ad for Ralph Lauren, or one of those other fruity fashion houses, it was almost enough to make me wanna sell my bike...:mad: When they start posing bimbos in boots next to your vehicle, thats not a good sign...

11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Gloss for sure. I'm not a big fan of grey or maroon.

12. Actually Ralph Lauren has an amazing car collection!
    Since he's super rich he has some very exotic and rare cars!
    Hope this doesn't make me fruity!

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

To be honest, I'm not sure if it was Ralph Lauren. Either way, it just kinda made me go "Ewwwwww."

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

Lots of wisdom here. Altogether too many "period customs" wind up getting painted a modern color which blows the whole concept.

What color? Pretty much any color will look good if you've done your preparation homework; pretty much any color will look like dog poop if you haven't. Good bodywork and paint prep are the keys to a really good looking final result. My $.02.

15. BubbletopScott

BubbletopScott

A real traditional custom color for that car would be a gloss maroon.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Definitely a gloss paint job! Flat is primer, which means you're still working on it.
    Now, back in the day, the custom guys just about always chose a deep, rich organic color for their cars. Deep maroon, green, blue, purple. Some used a factory color, others custom mixed them. Often they would add a gold bronze powder to the colors to give them more sparkle, and richness. Pearls and Candies came around during the mid 50's, so the opalescent glow of pearl, or the bright, deep Candy colors are also an option, though nowadays guys use a modern color that looks similar to a real candy or pearl job, with lots less expense and talent needed to shoot. it. If you want to do the car in more of a late 50's, early 60's look, then look at anything Larry Watson painted. Lots of tu-tones, with a light color pearl, matched with a darker version of the same color in candy. Or just 2 bright, unusual colors together.
    Unfortunately, the "style" choices, and color, and paint types are so numerous, this is usuall the hardest decision anyone makes in building a custom. But probably the most important one you have to make, color can make or break a great design, and even take a bland mild custom and make it outstanding!

dad-bud likes this.
  17. banginona40

banginona40

I like what I think was an original color for the car. A darker metalic green. As Pat Ganahl's '52 I believe.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  18. dad-bud

dad-bud

Make it a deeper or darker colour, and definitely gloss. You've obviously put a LOT of work into reshaping the body - don't hide it under flat paint.
    Make sure to post up some pics for us when its done.
    Cheers.

19. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I prefer the candy look and I would stay away from the flat black and red wheels.
    Here in Vegas a flat back car would bake you in less time it takes to than it takes to spill a beer.

20. papajohn

papajohn

The 2014 Dodge Rams have a cool mossy brown/green color. Very dark almost black in low light. Looks like a candy color.

It would be cool on a custom.
    Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

21. For those of us who couldn't afford candy apple red, we'd use that metalic 56' Buick red. Easier to touch up too.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

23. Marv64

Marv64

You are the only one that can pick the color you like. Just pick out the color you like and base coat it and no clear. It will be your color and dull.

24. el_bole

el_bole

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

I second that......I'm a fan of dark blue too

25. flthd31

flthd31

I'll repost this quote again for you...tho I doubt anybody will read it.
    Seems you post has been somewhat hijacked by "the falcongeorge paint archive".

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry about that. Fixed it for you.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe get the body work right, then think about a color.

28. Seems you post has been somewhat hijacked by "the falcongeorge paint archive".[/QUOTE]I shall now delete MY last post because the actual Buick color I suggested shown on a Buick offended flthd31.

29. stimpy

stimpy

I say get some chip charts from the early 50's and look over them , as I found with some gm models there some nice colors out there that you do not see too often any,more , just the blah ones that were left . I myself might go with a berkshire( dark ) green or the dark poly blue they used on the 50 Pontiacs . and not 2 tone it like they used too ( dark top light bottom )

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

flthd31 doesnt cotton to that elitist stuff. This is the HAMB, just paint it flat black, throw some WWW radials on it, grease your DA, and kick it ol' skool...

Model T1 likes this.