Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The FutureCoupe... just parts and pieces.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedy Canuck, May 15, 2013.

1. From the get-go, I always wanted a coupe. Not a Deuce - a 30/31 - and not chopped...instead, an early '50s style East Coast hotrod. I've entertained the idea that someday I'll have one; but with my focus on the '34, I haven't actively pursued the project... At least, that's what I though.

My first mistake was buying a '51 Olds Selector Shift transmission off Kijiji about a year back. I put it aside, figuring "I'll use it for the coupe someday."

[​IMG]

Over the past year, my buddy NortonG and I were talking more and more about this 'future coupe' project. It was all fun, but I was secretly building it in my head, making styling choices and sorting out what I wanted and didn't want. I knew that it was going to be channeled a few inches, maroon or dark red, and Olds powered. At the most, it would get an inch and a half haircut.
    One day NortonG called it the FutureCoupe. One word, two capitals. I'm sure it was the typo, but the name stuck.

A few months back while working on the '34, it occurred to me that I still have the stock driveline from the transmission back, and it was just begging to be put in something. After all, there's only 3/4 of an inch difference in width between a '31 axle and a '34 axle. Suddenly, that Olds transmission was out, and a 3 speed and banjo were in.

[​IMG]

I have the idea in my mind that all I need is a front axle assembly from an 'A', along with an 'A' frame, and I'll have the parts and pieces to put together the chassis. After all, I already have the '40 spindles...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd just need an axle, wishbone, and '40 backing plates. I put those ideas aside though, as my focus and funds are still directed at the truck.

About a month ago, my gal and I are waiting in line to get into the Ancaster swap. We were running late and NortonG and his lady were already inside. While walking in the front gate, I receive a text with this picture:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking "Damn it Norton! You know I want wide 5s on the FutureCoupe!"
    He follows it up with a text telling me they look solid. By the end of the day, all 4 were mine, along with a set of front backing plates and wide 5 drums. Double Damn.

Even more recently, I was having dinner and beers with NortonG and bgbdlinc. We got to talking about the set of old bias-ply winter tires that Norton has sitting around... Long story short, Norton paid less for the tires than I did for his dinner. I still think I came out ahead:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm starting to get nervous that my friends and family will recognize that I have two projects on the go.

Martin_F likes this.
  2. It's a sickness! :D HRP

3. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

You can't blame me bucko! Hahaha

I think it's been coming along rather quickly and at very low cost so far.

4. Oh but what a sickness it is. Have 2 on the go myself 33 chev 3 window
    and 34 chev pick up. It all started inisently enough wrong part here wrong part there, to good a deal to pass up. No hiding them or my sickness from family and the wife now!!!

Attached Files:

5. You're right. I can't be held responsible! I'm ill.

I'll continue to blame you. After all, credit where credit is due! :D

You're exactly right. Sometimes those deals are too good to pass up. And then you might as well build something with them.

6. Yesterday was a holiday, the family was gone. I figured I'd have a bit of fun laying some parts and pieces out...

Mocked it up based on the stock Model A 103.5" wheelbase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Bought a "little rough" 30 31 coupe the other day, missing doors and deck lid of course. Told myself I'd get in no hurry... Wife is upset I've taken "her side" of the garage, who is she kidding? Two weeks have gone and I'm looking at ebay found doors and deck lid. And damn how far away is Coker anyway? When will those tires get here!

8. Another piece of the puzzle to stash away. A while back, I did some horsetrading with Tony the Olds guru over at Ross Racing. Wound up with a transmission adaptor for an Olds to an early Ford three speed. There will be a pilot adaptor in the near future as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I thought 2 projects was normal...

[​IMG]

10. Gotta have two projects!
    But hey, I won't tell anybody...

11. Well, I've neglected this thread for a while, but I've acquired a few more parts and pieces...

I have a Model A front axle and wishbone. It's not home yet, but it's stored safely in someone else's garage until I pick it up. Not sure if I'm going to use it for this project or not. I also realized that I have a spare 34 front axle. So just in case, last winter at the HASC swap, I picked up a set of 34 spindles from HighTower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll probably go this route with a 34 front axle with spindles, and a 34 rear axle, just to keep my track width the same.

Last week, I was perusing classified ads on Kijiji. I came across a pretty simple ad. The title said "303 ROCKET MOTOR" and the ad read: "Rebuilt heads complete with 4 speed hydromatic. Tired of looking at small blocks, try a vintage Olds for your project CALL KEN"

These three pictures were in the ad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed the Number 10 heads and new looking springs and retainers. Martin_F noticed the adjustable rockers. I called Ken that evening and got the details.

Long story short, I now have a motor for the FutureCoupe! Drove down in the 60 on Friday, picked it up in the pouring rain and hightailed it home.

I got: a 53 Olds 303 with number 10 heads on it, Holmes valve covers and adjustable rockers. A 53 flatpan Hydro transmission, and every part for the motor except a carb. I'm pretty pleased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just need to come across a good deal on a 30/31 frame...

Martin_F likes this.
  12. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

haha....hoarder, hoarder.....

13. I know :eek:

In my defence, it just kind of fell into my lap the latter half of last week... And I'm not hoarding if I'm going to do something with it, someday. Right? :D

14. I'm still stoked for you AJ!
    Glad it worked out and you got to pick it up.

Hoarding? I don't even know what that means...

15. Thanks man! And thanks for all of your help. It's nice to have someone else to bounce thoughts off of.

And Martin. The definition:

hoard |hôrd| noun
    a stock or store of money or valued objects, typically one that is secret or carefully guarded: he fiercely protected his hoard of Olds valve covers.

16. I like the direction this is headed! Are you planning on running a Model A grill shell?

17. I don't think so. I've actually been planning to run a sectioned 39 truck grille with a full hood. Not 100% sold yet, but that's the way I'm leaning. Here's a few sectioned and stock grille pictures for reference:

(Number 1 in the first picture is a sectioned 39 grille).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Good to see this project back in action. Nice score on that motor.

19. Alright, it's official then. I'm a hoarder. :rolleyes:

BTW, I got a 38-39 truck grill hanging on the wall! *hint*
    You need a hood to make it work, since it's so narrow, it doesn't cover up the radiator.
    Which makes it look off.

20. Nice score on the olds! Where was it? Clearly I had to ask.... Since I didn't find it and all haha

21. Ah man. Don't tell me that. Now I know where one is... Maybe hang it on the wall a while longer for me? haha

And yeah, full hood for sure. That's the only way I want to roll.

Thanks Keith! It was down in Simcoe. About a half hour or so south of Brantford. The ad had been up almost two weeks when I called him. I was fully expecting to hear that you'd come pick it up already!

22. Haha no kidding. The last thing I need is another one. Any updates going on!?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. daddylama

daddylama

I dig parts hoard builds!
    that's what the last few of mine have been. finally starting on a '31 A coupe that I've been hoarding and horse trading parts for over years. stuff stashed in the crawl space, corners of the basement, hell even in the rafters of the attic.

24. Not on this one. The 34 and the 60 are sucking up all my hotrod funds, so no spare money for parts right now.

I've got two running Olds in the garage. Is it terrible that I want to find a third to stuff in the 60? Haha

Posted via telegraph.

25. It's been fun. Just stuffing things slowly away as money allows. This one will be a long term acquisition.
    I'd love to have a 31 coupe body, but I can't justify the money or space until other projects get done and on the road. One of these days though...

Posted via telegraph.

26. daddylama

daddylama

my coupe has been acquired in bits and pieces over a 5 year period. roof from one car, quarters from another, sedan doors (longer than coupes), cowl from yet another... *lots* of horse trading and some really good deals, getting parts lots and selling/trading off the parts i don't want.
    it'd be so damn much easier to just buy a solid/complete body or car and start from there, but this is fun. i enjoy the horse trading. plus i've got 4 kids (and another on the way), a mortgage, etc... gotta build this slow and within a tight budget. :D

plus i've got a couple project motorcycles and a 100 year old house to finish restoring, too...

27. I've added a couple more parts and pieces to the stash for the FutureCoupe...

First off, I picked up a mint 30/31 frame last fall from an estate auction. It's been stored inside for the past 40 years, and there is absolutely no rust or cracks. Only a very minor bit of pitting in the rear passenger side of the frame rail. I don't have a good picture, but this is when I brought it home. (The second one is my buddy Jonny's frame that he bought at the same auction).

[​IMG]

I also came across some carbs on eBay that I couldn't live without. I had originally planned on the turtleback carbs that came on a 50 (?) Olds, but I couldn't resist the price on these, so I switched plans.
    These are Carter 849S backdraft carburetors and were designed for the 1949 and 1950 Oldsmobile 88s and 98s. One is N.O.S., the other is rebuilt, and the third was never run but was on a motor.
    I plan on running two of them on an Edmunds 2x2 intake.

[​IMG]

Scan001.jpg

Paul and Martin_F like this.
  28. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool project. It's funny how they multiply. My '35 Ford project nearly turned into a '35 and a '36 Ford project last week. Luckily someone else beat me to the Craigslist prize.

29. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...Sweet Mother of God, Speedy!!! Those carbs are totally rad......

30. I always wanted a coupe, but since I'm impatient, I just started collecting as the 34 progressed. But you're right. It's funny how easy one becomes two.
    Thanks David! I think they'll look pretty cool once all said and done.

lewk likes this.