Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Racing Accident Sunday at Immokalee Raceway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green Rodz, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Well, if you were at Immokalee Raceway this past Sunday, you no doubted saw my friend Joe roll his 1935 Chevy Steel body 3 window coupe while racing our other friends' 1941 Willys gasser. It was his dream car, and he's quite upset (but unhurt). Turns out about 1/2 way down the right rear axle broke right at the bearing, and it hit both walls, got on it's roof, and slid on it's side through the traps at 35 MPH. The issues now are, of course, how to fix the rare original steel fenders and running boards (ALL of them are damaged), and more importantly, the cab. Remarkably, none of the windows broke. But when you stand behind the car, you can see that the upper part of the cab is indeed slightly twisted to the right (i'm guessing an inch). I want to help him out. He's devastated, but he's got some cash. Does anyone have some ideas on where to start metal-wise to fix a wreck like this? I have trouble loading pics here on my computer, so tomorrow I'll take pics with my phone and post them. But be forewarned: It's painful to look at.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. Sad to hear.Glad there are no injuries.Hope your pics get some good input.

3. swifty

swifty

What you need is a Florida version of Jim Sibley as he can fix anything. Unfortunately he is as far away as you could get in the 48.

4. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Where is he located? I know I've heard the name.

5. Muttley

Muttley

Spokane, Washington

6. Quite a few guys on this board have proven that they can resurrect anything!

There's a few in your area but I don't have that info at this moment.

7. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

It will be interesting to see if insurance will cover it, since the car was being raced at the time of the accident.

8. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Any pics or video? Glad your buddy is ok.

9. ...hate to hear about this kind of stuff, but sounds like it could've been a lot worse. Hope things get fixed back up.

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Really sad to hear these kinds of stories. Glad he is OK and hope he can get it fixed.

11. From experience I can assure you it does not cover the car. HRP

12. Anything can be fixed. Those old Fords are tough. Mine has been on it's roof in the past. Tell him not to give up it is worth doing. Maybe it's time for a roadster.

Cars can be replaced, friends, not so easy.

13. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I know some people have mentioned to him to make an insurance claim, but they clearly state that they don't cover racing. On Wednesday, we have a weekly cruise night in our area that he usually comes to....but he was not there last night, and his closer friends have said they have not heard from him all week (as he has been drinking) lol but not funny. I can't even imagine. It's ONE thing to wreck a glass car....

14. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I thought for sure there would have been video on youtube by Sunday night...but I searched twice this week and found nothing. The 41 Willys he was racing is such a neat car that I thought for sure people would have been videoing the race, but I guess not.

59ratgasser likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad he wasn't hurt, the car can be rebuilt. When sports cars get wrecked in Vintage Races, they get rebuilt/restored. It's just time and money, they are worth bringing back, same deal with this 3Window. Bob

16. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Here's my take on it, and I know a few will slam me but many more may agree... I'm glad your friend is OK, but if his '35 3 window is so rare HE SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN RACING IT. Yes, I know that driving down the street you have a greater chance of getting in a wreck, but drag racing really is a sport that involves SPARE PARTS, replacements, extras....not RARE stuff. OK, go ahead, let me have it.

17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Insurance is going to be a problem. Had a friend that wrecked his Model A at a nostalgia race and his insurance co., one that many of us use, wanted a police report. He explained that he was at an "exhibition" race with his car. Not only did they not cover him, but they cancelled his insurance for both of his cars. Good luck, hope it works out for you!

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

This is sad to hear.

19. The old metal man in Miami just retired....damn.
    The shop where he worked had to shut down their restoration business and go strictly insurance work because of him retiring. He did fantastic work..

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

10 bolt GM rear? Just askin'...

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

You guys with the hot rods listen up: Don't race! ...and you guys with the reefers: Don't inhale!
    I was drinkin' beer, but I didn't swallow....

22. cayager

cayager

we all take our chances. I would say even on the street screwing around if something happened and the police report said anything about speeding or racing you'd be out of luck. When you race a car you better be prepared to lose the money if something goes wrong

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Yep, I would not even file a claim and that way not be liable for insurance fraud. :eek:

Now for original question, I would start by pulling the cab upright, and go from there. I cannot see the car so I cannot determine if the fenders and boards can be worked but if they cannot fenders and boards can be had. If the car did the pinball thing like described basically everything on it will need to be checked for straightness.

All that said I am glad that no humans were injured in that stunt. Being physically able to put one back together and still on this side of the grass is priceless.

24. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I'm hoping to post some decent pictures today. Gonna try to do it through my phone shortly.

25. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Here are a few pics 1404407695293.jpg

26. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

And another 1404407749166.jpg

27. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Gets worse 1404407805367.jpg

28. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

And yes it is a GM 10 bolt rear end

29. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I've always had a motto: "If you can't afford to wreck it, then you can't afford to own it."
    However, I personally would have never had that thing on the track. No way. But that's ME.

30. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

1404408127476.jpg