Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Question on Glasspack Length

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Jun 24, 2014.

1. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks for the advice. I think the truck has a nice deep sound, its not as snappy and "put put put" sounding as mine and I like a little of the raspy/growl sound when he steps on it real quickly and short duration. The previous owner told me my 350 SBC has an RV cam so it lopes a bit more. Any implications this may have on my idea of going with the 22" Brockmans, 2" diameter pipe and straight through pencil tips? I'm thinking of putting the glasspacks between the A and B pillar lengthwise.

2. I think the OP is way over thinking this! I don't recall much difference in sound versus length. Remember they all sound the same after they burn out in a few thousand miles.
    Get rid of the little pipe, (who puts 1 1/2 pipes on a 350) that will make a lot of snap and crackle and flows less than a factory muffler.
    Putting the mufflers way back beside the trunk area will make them rap much louder when you back off the throttle. (like a school bus) This and echo cans will get you put in jail! LOL
    If you really want to get noticed, weave a guitar string back and forth across the end of your echo can a couple of times. Old time fun!!!!!!!

3. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks. The sound of that 1972 truck is what I really want (it doesn't sound snappy/crackly and so "put put put put" like mine right now) but I'm still confused on what I should try. I'm guessing 2" pipe and 22" brockmans between A and B pillar will work.

4. luckystiff

luckystiff

you are WAY over thinking this. put the brockmans somewhere between where i said and before the rear axle. the change is sound from position to the other in than range isn't going to make a huge difference overall. going 2, 2 1/4, or 2 1/2 behind there is a flip of the coin since you'll be redoing the pipes over the axle and out the back anyhow and the cost will be about the same if not the same.

5. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks! Yea I am way overthinking this. I am just going to go for it with your suggestion. It will sound better than it does now I'm sure. 2" Straight through pencil tips should be fine at the end?

6. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

i have 18 inch brockman steel packs i love them but they are pretty loud, i have 2.5 inch all the way back with a strong 383 at a cruise its quiet enough to have a conversations in the cab but at anything above half throttle it gets insane. It is a true dual that dumps out in front of the rear tires

7. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I made some more careful measurements. Turns out, it has 2" pipes coming out of the exhaust manifolds but right under the floor it converts to 1.75" then drops to 1.5" by the axle.

I'm guessing I need to redo all the pipe to fit the 22" brockman glasspacks and hug closer. It seems the shape of the exhaust changed from it being scraped and hitting things or maybe it came from some other project and was already flattened in some places? The pencil tips are flat on the bottom. Most of it looks like it happened before my time with the car (I've had it since January and driven it only a little bit).

When I take the car to a shop, do I need to tell them to make the new pipes hug the body much closer?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      314.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      253.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      228 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      357.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      311 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      292.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Give us a full side view of your hole car, by the exhaust it looks like it may be to low. Gary

9. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks, I took these pictures just a little while ago. I'll have to wait for daylight for brighter pics from be low. 2.jpg 3.jpg 3.jpg

10. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I'm guessing the pipes need to hug and bend around the axle and need to hang higher underneath the front door area.

11. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You have a lot of work ahead to get those pipes higher! Gary

12. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yea, im probably going to need a muffler shop to do this entire job.

13. freiertpc

freiertpc

I make my pipes with baffles and a couple wraps of steel wool shoved into the pipe thats it ill post a vid of the truck with its duals