Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 216 intake heating.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grant_Maclean, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Grant_Maclean

Grant_Maclean

Hey guys. This is my first post here so hopefully it's in the right spot.
    I've just bought some split exhaust manifolds for my 216. I haven't fitted them yet because I'm unsure how to go about the intake heating. The manifolds I bought do have provisions. Can I just make a blocking plate to go over the bottom of the intake manifold and plum something into it? If so, what material is best to make the plate with? Also, can I use some kind of hose or does it have to be a steel pipe or something?
    I'm trying to do all of this on a budget and I have a deadline of about two weeks (to make the exhaust as well) so I can't buy any plates already made from the states, as I live in Australia and the won't arrive on time.
    Any help will be appreciated, cheers.

2. I've got a 235 with split manifold and dual carbs. I did not pre heat the intake and it has not been a problem. I've run this set up for over a year. Good luck.
    Later,
    Dick

3. James Curl

James Curl

I used an adapter that I found at a swap meet. Basically a 3/8" aluminum plate with two threaded holes to take brass pipe fittings. Used copper tubing from the exhaust manifold to the intake. Do not see that it is important but Tom Langdon says it is.

4. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Years ago i had a manifold that was heated by water from the heater hose. But you will not need to heat it unless you are driving it in cold weather.

5. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Yep, its only really needed in cold weather to stop the carb from icing up. For my Ford 223 with a dual carb intake and headers, it would start icing up at about 40 degrees, didn't last long, and went away once the motor fully warmed up.

6. James Curl

James Curl

Langdons Strovebolt 6 cataloug has a plate for the intake and an adapter that goes between the head and the thermostat housing to use hot water to heat the intake. You can go to his web site and view the parts as well as a modified thermostat housing to supply hot water for the heat. http://www.stoveboltengineco.com

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk