Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects on the bandwagon Heyitsnate's 36 5w build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I have the fender braces, do use them and they fit with the template also. The drake fender is really really nice.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Btw-does anyone here use a gas lens? And can you recommend one to me?

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I havent check out your build for awhile,looks great like usually!

4. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thanks! in today's episode we will turn a sedan fender into a coupe fender. i have a coupe fender that needs a lot of repair and has lost it's shape. i need a crisp fender to finish out the wheelwell work,so i figured i'd give this a shot. i know the first two holes are the same, so i made a template off the coupe fender and traced up a bit after that .then i put the template to the sedan fender and traced the difference. cut out the piece and tacked it in.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    next, i knew the very back was the same, up to a point. the flange is longer on the coupe, so i made an extension piece . i measured from the center of the peak in fender to the outside incrementally to get the width as it changes. tacked it in.[​IMG]
    as it is now both ends fit the coupe. now for the middle. i measured from the bottom of fender to the ends of the new pieces, transferred those marks to the coupe fender and laid tape out between those points. width wise i left more than i thought i needed. so now i have a guide for the outside edge and shape. i took more incremental measurements for width and applied the tape to the sedan fender referencing width often.from the bottom i traced the sedan fender edge to the bottom of the tape ,then peeled the tape. after trimming along my marks i had the shape i needed to cut.[​IMG]

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

sorry for the blurry pics. i was in the zone. apparently not the photography zone. anyway, i cut out the metal, and tried my best to fit the whole thing, but ended up cutting into more manageable sections. the following pics are as far as i got. i REALLY wanted to finish this today but all in all it is working out really well.[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Cool. Thanks for showing the steps. Cars looking gods.

7. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thank you! i did it because there really isn't much info about it out there. i dont think i could have done it without at least 1 decent coupe fender though. got some time in this morning to finish tacking in the extension.[​IMG]
    the sedan fender is'nt perfect, but easier to fix than this. im not scared of patching, i'm scared of a compound reverse curve missing from the fender![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Lastly, this car pretty much sums up what I'm shooting for. An early custom updated in the 50's...I'm thinking metallic purple with minimal clear and white skins and striping.

Attached Files:

9. Nice job on the fender Nate.Well worth the job instead of buying highdollar coupe fenders.

10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thanks kenneth! Hope the house is coming along well. I managed to sneak down to the shop and get about 3 or 4 feet of welding done this morning.

11. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

looking good as always
    really like fender pictures

12. Great work on the fender, Nate! Nice to actually see what is required for the conversion.

And just as my new coupe fenders are about to ship...:rolleyes:

Bear:)

13. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Nice! Are the drivers side fenders on the market now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Spoke with 'Bob' at the LA Roadster Show and he said they would be shipping at the end of June. (But we all know that don't necessarily mean diddly :rolleyes:)
    Actually, I already have my drivers side fender sitting at my shippers (Right hand drive here in New Zealand:D), just waiting on my 'passengers' side!

Bear:)

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

that's good news. i would still buy the other side ,although i am pretty excited about this sedan conversion. chipped away at this morning and tonight before and after work. still not sure how i'm going to locate the holes. i cant use the edge because the strip i made is not exact ,i was planning on trimming after the holes are made. i suppose i could bolt it in the very front and back and clamp it since the inner wheelwell is out and mark them that way. i dont know.[​IMG]

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy, Nate - use transfer screws. Spray the backside of the fender flange, insert one or two of the transfer screws (5/16-24, I believe for your coupe) so the point of the screw protrudes a bit, bolt the fender on with the bolts that do match or have some friends hold it in position and tap the flange with a hammer to lay out the hole to drill. Do them one at a time and it'll be easy......time consuming a bit, but easy.

http://www.use-enco.com/1/3/transfer-screws

17. Yet another thing I learned from Nate. The list is getting pretty long.

18. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Yeah this has been fun at times.. to finely making progress.. :D

19. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Roach! This guy has been thrashing with me on thursdays. Good times!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

got all the welding wrapped up today. old holes filled and dressed, new holes drilled, and it fits great! there are some old repairs on the tail of the fender i have to fix, but i will wait until the car is on the ground. for now i can keep moving on the wheelwell and trunk floor.[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

wheelwell almost ready![​IMG] [​IMG]

22. Uptown83

Uptown83

You are doing really nice work man. Keep us posted.

23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

wow, it's a kick in the pants to get back out in the shed, nice work.

I'm loving being able to watch this come together!

24. You definitely have got in to high gear and got the speed up Nate.Excellent job on the wheelwell

25. I use one. The biggest advantage I find is that I can extend the electrode out farther so it is easier to see. I don't do a lot of aluminium but I have heard they are very good for that as they ensure a better gas coverage so less chance of oxidation and such in the weld.

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

thank you! here's a peek at the rearmost trunk floor i've been working on. it's been a challenge getting it tailored so it's all even and the spot weld surfaces all have good contact with no interference, but it's fitting nice now. a few more things to tend to but hopefully i can get the back wrapped up soon.[​IMG] [​IMG]

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

ive been thrashing hard on the back of this coupe so the last couple of days i did different things. im redoing the subrails, and tried to make a bead roller die to make the bead and tip the edge. it didnt work well.[​IMG] [​IMG]

28. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i asked marshall at thun field for advice , and he showed me a neat brake trick. after that and some time on the eckold it's starting to get somewhere. still lots of work to do. i need one of these BAD![​IMG]
    earlier in the day i got some taillights, so i made the stanchion cups for mounting them. this is my favorite stuff to do. beat on , shrink and planish things with shape. its cool when you nail shapes with multiple radius.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] tom
    tomorrow i'll get back on track. my build is all ADD but as long as i keep moving it'll get there.

29. Very nice!

30. tevintage

tevintage

Looking great Nate! What a fine thorough revival to one of Henry's most beautiful cars. Keep at it. Thanks. T

rodder77 likes this.