Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Roof on a 50's Kustom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freiertpc, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I like the idea, if only for the contrast with the stock roof. It can give the impression of some kind of special body even if it ends up looking a bit odd in the process.

The 4-door Rover P5 "coupé" of the '60s springs to mind:

Sedan
    [​IMG]

Coupé
    [​IMG]

Same car, but a different roof gives it a completely different character.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

THAT wasn't a Chrysler Gotgas posted...it IS a '63 Chevy with a '60 Plymouth roof-did you read the whole thread...???

Of course, you are certainly entitled to your 'square peg' opinion...if we all liked the same thing, what would be the point of customizing a vehicle...???

R-

3. freiertpc

freiertpc

Ok I can't really draw with a pencil to speak of, never looks right really, but as much of a round car it is i was thinking of early sixties only maybe something with a flatter roof with rounded back corners. my belair is a 4 door it may or may not stay that way it may become a hardtop 4 door if i can collect all the parts, i just got it stripped down for media and alot of metal work on the way. think i might put 60's rear fender lips on with the swoop in them.

4. freiertpc

freiertpc

still looks the same

Attached Files:

5. Sir, I was referring to the car below, copied from the first Gotgas post. It is a Chrysler. I read the whole thread, but would question whether you have. His second post did indeed have a picture of a Chev, however I specified the Chrysler he posted. Be careful when you pull the trigger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

From what the owner told me, this is a original 55 convertible. It still has the chrome convertible upper windsheild header. The steel top is welded on. It came from somewhere in FL, I guess they got tired or replacing the convertible top every few years.

8. iphone pictures 333.JPG iphone pictures 334.JPG

Love this roof. Don't know what the builder used as a donor.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well X38, I appreciate you pointing that out to me, however, semantics aside, I didn't SEE the picture of the Chrysler posted since he only posted a link...NOT the actual picture...hence, the only picture showing AFTER your post was the '63 Chevy...!!! However, I'll do the correct thing and apologize to you for jumping in your shit...!!!

R-

10. Then put your 28's on it and your done

11. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Good luck, you are going to need it.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

13. chrisp

chrisp

It was a 61 Cad and a 67 Poncho roof, it was a pain in the ass to put on since the car was shorter on one side by almost 2", I guess the quality control guy was on vacation when they built that one.
    When I did it per customer request I thought it looked cool, I still do. I have some pics of it somewhere...

14. Thank you Frankie47- I hoped it wasn't just me.

15. The FoMoCo designers did some mock ups with that.

16. ssw357

ssw357

This is a 60 Chevy roof I swapped onto my 57 Bel Air a couple years ago. chop11.jpg chop1.jpg chop3.jpg 100_0775.jpg 100_0608.jpg unnamed (3).jpg

17. PanelDragger

PanelDragger

18. Slopok

Slopok

I'd bet most people would think that is just another chopped 57 until you pointed out what was actually performed. Very well executed indeed. Radical yet subtle if that makes any sense.

ssw357 likes this.
  19. drew56cus

drew56cus

Wow SSR, you have done an awesome job! I love the '56 Ford Victoria because of the roof and side profile, but I prefer the dip in the rear quarter of the chev - you have just made the perfect compromise! Did you have to do custom made rear glass?
    I think the chevs would look better if there was not so much crown in the roof. A Carson top with less crown but still some curves may be a better option for a 50's car.
    I am playing around with 60's Mercedes W111 coupes at the moment. Their roof is reasonably rounded - not exactly thick on the ground as donors but there is one in cali pick n pull at the moment.
    Pagodino__658.jpg

20. demonspeed

demonspeed

I think it can either look really great, or really shitty if not properly executed. Definitely do your homework before you start cutting. But SSW's car is a good example of how to do it right! I've definitely seen some nice ones, I personally think the contrast of the two styles looks cool when it's done right.

metalhead140 likes this.
  21. ssw357

ssw357

Rear glass is original 60 Chevy. I had to narrow the roof 1 1/2" to fit the 57 so I flush mounted the rear glass, that gave me 3/4" per side. Thanks for the kind words.

D-Russ likes this.
  22. ssw357

ssw357

Another radical yet subtle change that most people don't catch; 58 Impala hood skin. No rockets or humps on the hood. Smooooth.

Attached Files:

D-Russ, chopd top and blowby like this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow, great thread guys. Hope it continues.

24. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Go for it man,this is what I call real Customizing. Using your talent to radical alter the car. Keep in mind not to put a square box on a round car it must flow together .That coperhead custom I saw at Salina is awesome,the owner is a cool dude also.

25. ssw357: very impressive.

26. I recently saw a 53 Buick with a 64 Riviera roof. Looked good

27. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

28. ssw357

ssw357

Nice Merc.

metalhead140 likes this.
  29. Some things can be done,some things shouldn't be done.......is this a DIY? Effort applauded,but sometimes,"thinking outside the box" isn't all that and a bag of chips...... :confused:

30. Slopok

Slopok

Thanks, I appreciate that.