Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lower would be buried

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by canadian, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadian

canadian
    from belgium

Hi guys , I 'm driving a '56 chevy bel air and would like to lower it to the extreme , body on the ground ; I was thinking about an air ride but all the cars I see are still a couple of inches from the ground ; so what's the secret ? THKS GUYS.http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=1985&u=12300535 KOOL OR WHAT ?!!!

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks kind of stupid, if you ask me....

fuzzybear and 33sporttruck like this.
  3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That fad has passed pretty much, thank God. Now people concentrate more on building cars that are actually practical and drive well.............except for a few who still think this is cool.

A 56 Bel Air is too nice to screw up.

Don

fuzzybear likes this.
  4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

"Laying rocker" looks broken.

Mini-trucker "style"

5. Body on the ground? What would be the point of that? You plowing a field?

49ratfink and 33sporttruck like this.
  6. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

one of the strangest fads ever....hope it passes soon.

33sporttruck likes this.
  7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Looks like someone stole the wheels and left it on the ground!
    Sorry, it just not a good look....... EVER!
    KK

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Guys, the phase is not passing (think not, it is basically the norm for the younger generation and like everything else their is a place for it in our hobby).

airbags is the only way to get a car to lay on the ground. it just takes a lot of cutting of floors and rear frame section to get it down that low. for the 56, the frame will probably touch before the rockers so just how low you want to go depends on the amount of work you want to put into it. that 57 is on air, it has had the entire floors cut out and raised and I bet it has a very large rear step notch.

I am doing my wagon right now and if I want it will lay the frame but not rockers. I plan to set it up to not lay frame but be close (incase of emergency) with bigger tires in the rear for a slight rake.

Pimp Performance likes this.
  9. 117harv

117harv

Laying frame/rocker is NOT traditional, and shouldn't be discussed here. Low static height drivers are good, and traditional...jmo

Saxman likes this.
  10. My 1930 Model A is on the ground!:D

Laying on the ground is nothing more than static art/yard art.HRP

[​IMG]

chopdtop and jstanotheidiot like this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Squirrel X2. That 57 looks like shit. Whats the point?

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Channel it. Do a 'build thread'.
    I can't see the lowering point either...(and I used to have the lowest front bumper in San Jose! 1958)
    I don' do dat shit no more.

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I can appreciate them all. Not digging this particular 57 slammed but I can be open minded enough and see the other side if someone wants to do it. I can also appreciate the hard work and time it takes to slam one to the ground. I agree with Boones on this one.

** On a side note do you think the negativity is coming from it being a 57 Chevy?? Not much difference in this Oz built mercury and everyone praises it. Looks slammed to me and on the ground. oz.jpg

Pimp Performance likes this.
  14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Remove the wheels and tires.

15. I just don't get it. That's like building a donk out of a deuce. It'll get some attention, if that's what your after, but most of it will be people thinking "what a dumbass."

That Merc looks great but there is a big difference between that and a '56 Chevy.

Of course, this is just my opinion.:) Do what you want.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. dtracy

dtracy

HotRodPrimer - your model A looks like it has a woody!

Dave.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I agree with most on this one... Customs should have a stance. Hot Rods should look athletic... But if I'm honest, there are certain cars that I dig pancaked... I'd never do it, but appreciate those that do on a certain level.

18. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I've seen a fair number of 'layin frame' cars on the HAMB, don't like 'em, never thought they were 'traditional' in any way but never commented 'cause it seemed like they were accepted.

Now I will comment - they look like a total suspension failure to me.

19. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Looks like someone dropped the Bel-Air from a crane and it free fell 50ft. to the ground smashing the suspension flat. Merc is a big difference than the Bel-Air it has style and mods that flow well with the tail dragger stance.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think my favorite thing about these laying frame cars is 9 times out of 10 when you open the trunk you see the ground. there is a 50 Chevy on ebay for like $60,000.00 with no trunk floor or wheelwells, it is a very nice car and the guy evidently considers it finished like this.

21. [​IMG]

Dumb.

Travis T and Timmyd like this.
  22. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The only advantage I can see to that is as a theft deterrent.

But the number of doors already got that covered.

23. BubbaG

BubbaG

It takes a lot of effort to make a car "lay frame" or "lay rockers" on air bags. Buddy of mine is building one at our shop we split between 3 of us. Is it traditional? No. Is it cool? Yeah, I think so. Just likesome guys will shred you for building a rat rod, well, some guys just love them and want just them. Just like a trailer queen, I think they're really pretty and nice to look at but when you're scared to drive or touch them, what's the point. Kinda like strippers...

This car in particular, no thanks. Just like my 55 Buick. It wouldn't look right. My buddies 52 Belair though, looks killer on the rockers...

25. luckystiff

luckystiff

not really my thing but laying frame on most stuff isn't all that hard on most stuff a little suspension reworking and bagging and the right wheel/tire sizing. laying rocker/door on stuff that in stock frame the frame is lower than the rocker/door can be alot of work or sometimes just a little. i've seen some stuff where only a small section of frame swooped down and is what keeps you from laying rocker. that can be as simple as pancaking a small part of the frame.

your car you wanna make it lay out do it.

26. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Hey it's your car man, lots of work to get it to lay on the ground, no secrets. Airbags are the way to go, you will need to modify the rear suspension and cut parts of the front suspension. You will sacrifice ride, regardless of what people tell you. You can also bag the car to change the stands, it won't lay rocker, but you can maintain on ok ride. Some folks go as far and changing out the frame to get that look. A couple of lowering springs will make it look bad as hell

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. It's in my side yard. HRP

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I agree that 57 looks wrong. If it had a set of astros on pinners and a wild paint job it might change my mind. some cars and trucks can pull it off.

Peanut 1959 and Special Ed like this.
  29. butti

butti

Body Drop.. Guys have been doing it since forever. Only in the last 20 years or so it has become more
    common to combine Body drops and bags for a ride that can lay out when parked

30. Start cutting and welding.

Chris Stapley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.