Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving a Model A on highways?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercab78, Jun 24, 2014.

1. supercab78

supercab78

After a 2 1/2 year build and several shake down runs on slower streets I'm ready to hit the interstate and have a few questions.
    The windshield has to be fully closed correct?
    I've been up to about 55 mph and I here a lot of wind noise around the front windshield. It almost scary. Has anyone ever had the vinyl roof get damaged by the wind?

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I drive mine over 55 on the highway and get a nice breeze with the windshield open...

3. my `28 tudor has a lot of wind noise at freeway speeds , never tried it with the windshield open. no problems with the top , you shouldn't either if done correctly

4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Nope. Drive my sedan at highway speeds with windshield open and windows up or down. No problems. The top material is old too, probably 50s or 60s.

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

There is noise but if you adjust the angle a bit you can change the frequency of the wind noise n

6. If my rpu can click along at 60- 70 you can criuse the same. Had to reinforce the center top bow thou . It collapsed first time out. Ya you'll get wind noise.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The faster you go, the less scared you become. Find the "edge".

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  8. Seriously,a Model A has the aerodynamics of a barn so there is always going to be wind noise and yes you can drive with the windshield pushed out.

As you drive the car you will get use to the noise and the fear will subside.

As for the top,yeah I had a friend that lost one but the top on my deuce is still intact and it's never been replaced..I've drive the sedan at 85+ and the top insert is still on the car. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I don't consider it "noise'......i consider it therapeutic music.......enjoy it!

sko_ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Wind noise in a hot rod? Never heard of such...........................

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Before I put AC in my '28 Tudor, I drove all the time with the windshield cracked open about 2". I read that Model A's were designed to take advantage of the laminar air flow next to the body. Laminar air is cooler than normal air temp. The bottom of the windshield frame has about a 2" lip. The cowl is designed so when this lip is not past the outer edge of the body, the air is directed down towards the floor. . Try it. You'll see the air is cooler. It works with the windows open, or closed. Before the AC, I drove my sedan to Vegas twice in September, and it was not uncomfortable in the car with the windshield cracked open.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. Yep" Thats the least of my worries , Rattling doors , Body Shakes, Dicey Steering , Bad Brakes, Shit all normal stuff with my Pickup'
    Man i wouldnt change for the world

Hot Rod Rodney likes this.
  13. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

No damage.. been up to 75 mph, but I always have the side windows open when the windshiled is kicked out. Henry's ventilator is quite awesome, pushes the air down to your feet too.

[​IMG]

14. DRD57

DRD57

My Model A coupe has over 80k on it, much of it in excess of 70mph with the windshield cranked open. The top balloons a little at hwy speeds but it has never ripped.
    I had it up to 105mph on the Fontana Speedway and the air under the front fenders was the biggest issue. The front end gets really light at those speeds. At highway speeds, no problems.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Model A's I've had a ride in on the highway have all had a bunch of wind noise and a lot of other noises. I don't expect my Model A Vic to be quiet on the road either. Not as bad as the 48 with no windows in the doors what so ever I hope though.

16. I always run with the windshield propped open. The wind noise doesn't bother me because the exhaust is louder!
    [​IMG]

17. Wind noise was not a problem in my '28. The Champ QC cancelled it out very effectively.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

When my A had turbo mufflers, the wind noise was really annoying.
    Now I have straight pipes. Presto, no more wind noise! LOL

19. Loud pipes diminish wind noise! I got both.

20. If you're looking for a cool, quiet, comfortable ride, check with that Cadillac dealer down on the corner. Hot rods are supposed to be a little "edgy". Get in that Model A, push out the windshield and drive it like you stole it.:D

Hot Rod Rodney and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Open headers is a cure all for rattles, wind noise, squeaks, and anything else you can imagine.

22. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

As said before, crack open the windshield a couple of inches and you get air down on the floor.

Watch out for the bees that come in though the opening. They will land on your crotch and be rather mad.

Neal

23. The whole idea behind a crank out windshield is for ventilation, it's like 2x55 AC except it makes it 3x55 AC, Crank it open and let fly.

24. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Make sure the knobs are good & tight, and your passenger doesn't have their a grip on the dash rail

25. captmullette

captmullette

bowling green 2014 119.jpg got mine up to 108 at bowling green.......don't remember much about the wind

sko_ford likes this.
  26. daddylama

daddylama

maybe it's because of spending so much of my life on motorcycles... but never thought the wind noise was much to speak of in an A.

also, what's that ringing? can you hear it? is that the phone? (OK, do maybe I'm a little deaf :) )

27. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

when I ride mine down the interstate I run 80-85 windshield wide open I never shut it.....It makes it a real nice ride.

28. I don't have a Model A anymore but my Deuce sedan has plenty of wind noise,but opening the cowl vent will cut down on the noise. HRP

29. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

If you are concerned about wind noise in a Model A, this may not be the hobby for you.

30. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine has been 128 through the traps and 100K plus miles on the street with the front windshield cranked out all the way. You should be fine.

I did have a bird fly in the windshield and hit me in the snack once, but I'm sure that kind of shit only happens to me.....

Good luck, -Abone.