Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1938/39 car front clip on truck cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Jun 23, 2014.

1. I am looking for pictures of a ford truck that has late 30s ford car front clip. My 39 coupe body is shot but I have a nice front clip and frame.

2. Damn!
    That's perfect.
    What can you tell me about it?

verde742 and 51 BIRD like this.
  3. My buddy, Jim Thompson, bought it from a guy at the NSRA Mid Am Nats, several years ago. I don't know a whole lot about it, other than he sold it to a guy who has since passed away. I took that shot back in 2011.

If I remember, correctly, the guy that built it did another one with a '37 Passenger clip on on the front, a year or so later.

4. unkamort

unkamort

Other examples 55fzSZYj_fs.jpg 55fzSZYj_fs.jpg

Attached Files:

5. I like that look.
    Thanks

verde742 likes this.
  6. What Ford didn't build that I will never know,,I love Forty's but I think I like this better. HRP

[​IMG]

Hotrodmyk, Muttley, alfin32 and 2 others like this.
  7. That's the same grey primer truck that I had started the posts off with. It's definitely a cool truck, and it looks pretty "natural" compared to some of the other passenger/truck conversions that I've seen.

I posted the photo of the one with the '37 front end, since I had mentioned it. I prefer the 38/39 front end on the truck. My understanding is that they were both built buy the same guy.

verde742 and grifcarnut like this.
  8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

this is why they never built it

9. Just Jones

Just Jones

Here's mine, not sure if this is what youre looking for or not: '39 Deluxe car sheetmetal on a '40 pickup. It was done back in the early 50s by the original owner. The car fenders are not a bolt-on deal with the trucks, so you'll have to do some mods to get it all to work right.

Bright Eyes and Bushytail.jpg 39.jpg 299832_212092505512798_6346367_n.jpg

alfin32 and exterminator like this.
  10. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

We have a couple done here in Oz. one of the guys that used a 38 car front clip told me he took four inches of the bottom of the cab, and that made it an easier job, proportions looked good. Johnny

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

The first two trucks really look nice with the belt moulding bead matching the cab. Bob

rattlecanrods and verde742 like this.
  12. york PA 028.jpg york PA 027.jpg
    Saw this in York this year..........................

13. I think it is an improvement on the 38-39 trucks.
    Thanks

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't think there is any trick to this at all. Just bolt on the '39 Headlights and grille and your done. The leading sections of the hood and the pickup fenders are shaped the same as '39/'40 passenger models. The difference in the fender is in the flange where they lay against the cowl and the contour of the lower rear 'skirt' where it attaches to the running board.

This is NOT a criticism in any way, your truck looks good with the passenger grille/headlights......but it is a bolt on mod, which is a good thing.

By the way, I have seen the gray pickup, posted by bchrismer, a few times going back several years, both in St. Louis, MO and in Springfield, MO. I think it was built by a St. Louis area rodder but I do not know his name.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  15. Ray,

I had always thought the two primered trucks were built down here in Springfield, but I may be wrong. I know that Jim bought the truck at the MidAm Nats, down here, when he was really wanting a '40 truck. He had it for a while, and got an offer he couldn't refuse. Jim lives in St Charles County, and sold it to a guy in the StL area. His wife had driven it to a breakfast event that I attend, up there, in July.

As you guys have noted, the extending of the belt molding, up onto the hoods, is the key to making the transplant look like it is supposed to be there.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps I have it backwards. I remember seeing the truck for the first time at The Model T Club of St. Louis Annual Swap Meet at Earth City at least 7 or 8 years ago. I later saw it at Springfield, MO.

Wherever it originated, it is well done and a treat to see in person as well as photos.

bchrismer likes this.
  17. jkski

jkski

wow! what a difference. amazing transformation.

18. The two primered ones , look like factory..if a guy didn't know any better.
    Great looking pair!

seb fontana, verde742 and 51 BIRD like this.
  19. Looking at the different pictures it looks like the first ones used 1930s cab and the green one is a 1940s cab.
    Would that be right?
    What would be the difference at the cowl between the 2 different cabs?
    Is a 46 cab too new?

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The 40-47 Ford cabs are essentially the same.

BTW, here's my 1936 Ford Super Deluxe pickup:D 36Fordy.jpg

21. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Here's one, I don't know anything about it. Just saved the pic a long time ago. image.jpg

22. Man that's classy looking truck.

23. Any ideas?

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

If I didn't have a cab, I would prefer the 40-47 cab but others might prefer the earlier cab. It's just in what you like. The cabs are essentially the same 40-47 for pickups AND the larger trucks as well so there are many potential sources. One of the best it to get a cab off a big truck that was used at a farm or business only at particular times in the year and was stored in some kind of shelter the rest of the time.

As to the cowl differences, there can't be but so much difference as all the cabs bolted to the same frame from 1935 to 1940 cars and pickups and the 41 pickup frame as well.

Good luck but be prepared to test your metal working skills.

25. kb cookout

kb cookout

This is K-boy truck he's restoring back to the way it was built in the late 40's early 50's

later kb

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and falcongeorge like this.
  26. I asked Jim Thompson about the grey primered truck. He said the truck was sold and it is now down south, he believes in Alabama.

27. I would like to bump this back up.
    Maybe there are some more pictures out there
    so far I have rounded up for this project
    46 cab
    35 frame
    39 front axles
    46 backing plates
    46 open truck rear
    wide fives and 39 drums
    38 dlx front fenders and inner panels and buckets
    38 dlx hood sides
    need
    hood, grill, box rear fenders
    I have a 283 but i have a line on a couple of flatheads
    The hunt is the best fun

kidcampbell71, volvobrynk and prez like this.