Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is my new crate motor done? Metal Flakes!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoggman, Jun 23, 2014.

1. scoggman

scoggman

I followed all the procedures, used the Comp Cams break in oil (5 quarts) wix oil filter. Ran it for 3 approx 10 minute cycles (was getting hot) minimal idel at between 2 an 3k rpm's. I have let it sit for about a month (new baby). Drained the oil last night and found this tonight in the oil. Is the motor toast or is this a normal amount of break in shavings? The motor is a brand new Goodwrench 350 stock motor, no cam mods or anything. Flakes are magnetic. Thanks Jon

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's hard to tell from the pictures if those are just left overs from the machining process or a problem, but I would call the dealer you bought it from, send them pictures, and see what they say.

How does it seem to run and how is oil pressure ?

Don

3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Houston we have a problem. A new crate motor from GM is run prior to shipping and should not have any shavings period. Take it back to the dealer, GM has warranty company that will pay for your time and replacement.

4. Did you change the oil filter. Carefully cut the oil filter in half and see if you also have metal in the filter. Post pics if possible?

5. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GM's are notorious for being dirty. I would follow Don's advise and call the dealer. It's easier to have them know about it and be safe than wish you called them.

Doubtful this engine was ran. Is this the stock replacement, 4 bolt main, 2 piece rear seal? It makes about 190-210 HP. If so, its a new engine that is shipped less an intake, etc and was never ran.

6. scoggman

scoggman

The oil pressure was good, and there was no knocks or anything. Running real strong. Timing was close on take off and we dialed it in. No carb issues either. Should there be some flakes after a break in?

7. scoggman

scoggman

Any advise on how to cut it open without adding the the shavings? I don't have one of those fancy filter cutters.

8. scoggman

scoggman

Yeah it in the 190 hp 4 bolt main 2 piece rear main. I ordered it through summit, guess I'll try to give them a call......

9. Here's a couple of YouTube videos on the subject:

10. scoggman

scoggman

Hey thanks, I'll see if anyone has one of those filter can openers.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I seriously doubt that GM test runs these base line engines. Yes, some metal shavings are somewhat normal, there is always debris from the machining process that doesn't get removed. That is why I break in an engine for half and hour and then completely drain the oil and change the filter, to get that initial crap out of the oil.

Change the oil and filter and run it again (with more Comp Cam break in additive) and then see what that batch looks like...........and call your dealer anyway to get it on record. (email too so there is a paper trail)

Don

12. scoggman

scoggman

Well.... I called Summit and they said to bring the car and my receipt to the GM dealer and see what they say. Guess I'll call them in the morning..... so bumbed.......

13. scoggman

scoggman

Good idea about the e-mail. Thanks!

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One thing in your favor is that you are dealing with a reputable company in Summit. They tend to make things right. But I wouldn't be too concerned yet, this could just be first fire up trash in there. The second batch will tell you more.

Don

Truck64 likes this.
  15. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

The only thing you are going to do at the dealer is get the issue documented.
    Which is a good thing if the engine goes south later on.
    But they are not going to give a new engine over a few metal flakes with no other symptoms.
    And there is a very good chance that nothing is wrong with your engine.

16. txturbo

txturbo

If you have a local GM dealer, why buy through summit? You can buy the same motor at the dealership. Anyway.....those pieces are normal on a brand new casting. Change the oil and filter and move on.

17. scoggman

scoggman

Ok, hopefully you are right, and everything is ok.

18. scoggman

scoggman

Yeah summit was $300 to $900 cheaper depending on which dealer I called (I tried to by it local) and the dealer wouldn't price match that much. Hopefully that is what the dealer says and there is no issue!

19. .................from GM. That's the problem.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Hookedtrout and 73RR like this.
  20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

If you can........drop the pan, see what's inside, clean it thoroughly and change the oil and filter. Cut the old filter apart to have a look and try putting some miles on the motor. At 3000 miles or so repeat the process without dropping the pan.

And get the potential problem documented with GM.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If you dont have a can opener, stab it with a screwdriver and then cut with tin snips.

22. Something that I may be missing here warrantee wise that is. Sounds like the cam shaft was replaced with a comp cams bump stick. That being the case there is no warrantee.

I won't remark on the trash in the photos, I am not a big fan of Comp cams and have been known to make reams out of them or drop them in the nearest receptacle.

23. Don't see where he said he replaced the cam just used Comp Cams break in additive.

24. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

The OP said he used Comp Cams break in oil, I don't see where he changed cams.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Document it, but as others mentioned, I wouldn't get too excited yet. Another oil change in 500 more miles would be on my to do list though. If it shows the metallic issues also, then I'd be concerned.

26. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Bought aChrysler product once , had a windstorm one night and it disappeared in a cloud of rust

gas pumper likes this.
  27. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Buy an aftermarket drain plug that is magnetic, makes diagnosing a problem much easier!

loudbang likes this.
  28. scoggman

scoggman

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. I called the local Chevy dealer and they said to bring in the oil and we can file a claim with their warranty dept. The guy said after we document it, they will prob want me to change the oil and see what happens like you guys have said. The guy said not to worry about it because it is still under warranty. Just hope I ton't have to pull it all out again. We'll see! (Yeah.... 100% stock, no cam swap)

29. scoggman

scoggman

well..... I went down to the fancy new Chevrolete dealership we have in town and brought my oil. I they wouldn't even look at it. They said it was summit raceings problem and that they didn't sell "performace" engines. Explained to him that it was a stock replacement engine, and was their part number! Talked to there top guy there.... and he just looked at me.... I was sooo pisssed!!!

Call the dealer in Little Rock, they said the shavings were normal and to change the oil and run it. I asked what if it eats itself..... they said they would work through that if it happens.....

So it looks like I am going to poor a couple of quarts through it, then refill it with rotella t and some comp cams break in additive and fire it up!

Anybody got any other recommendations!

30. scoggman

scoggman

Anybody? Should I try to flush the engine some way? Pouring oil through it? Kerosene?

Thanks,
    Jon