Register now to get rid of these ads!

2014 Mooneyes Yokohama show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imfatdad, Mar 9, 2014.

1. The future of the Mooneyes Yokohama show could possibly be in jeopardy after this year (see attached Moon blog from Shige-san). One of the bonus aspects of the show was the "outside show" of rides from guys who rode their bikes to the show and parked out front of the venue. Well the occupants of the high rise condos, which one travels through to get to the convention center, have pressured the venue into an ultimatum regarding the noise the straight piped bikes omit. I have heard the resonation off these high rises from some of these bikes while outside the show, and as we all know, the un-enlightened fear our music. I hope that all will get the word about this as a better venue would not exist in Yokohama.

Moon Blog:

We finally received an “approval with conditions” (details below) from the convention hall side (Pacifico Yokohama) for the date of December 7, 2014 (Sunday). Now we can officially announce the date along with the conditions we need to meet. The conditions we have to meet for holding the event seem more like high school regulations. However, the convention hall has been dealing with complaints from around the area for a long time and we were told it has reached its limit. The question now is how much longer it can go on and this year they gave us the ultimatum, “If there are complaints this year, next year will not be possible” which is our final warning.

We have made every effort to make things happen but the final result is that “motorcycles will not be allowed to drive to the convention hall on that day and there will not be any parking available for bikes”. We checked with other parking lots nearby and none of them are available.

Perhaps we planted this seed and over time the results is “If this year’s show is too loud, it’s over” but it still feels like returning to high school.

It’s now up to us, as the organizer of this event, whether we are able to continue next year or not. The decision also hangs on the spectators that will attend the show.
    The continuation (after this year) of our show is on the line and we are all standing on this edge together.

MOONEYES can only to so much to make it happen but in reality it will come down to how conscious participants and spectators are about the situation and about the future of the show. We ask that everyone spread the word and hope we can all make it happen together.

Thank you for all your support.

Consider the general public for a moment that don’t know about this custom culture and lifestyle we live in. To them, modifying or customizing cars and bikes is illegal. Therefore it’s related to outlaw behavior. They most likely don’t want the show/event to take place. For us, these shows and events are mandatory. This is part of our culture and lifestyle. If there is something fun (for one group), there will always be outside pressure (from another group) to shut it down. We must look for the right way to continue our fun and what we believe in.

Shige Suganuma

Postscript:
    This is not an isolated incident in Japan. It happens all over the world.
    Let’s do our part to handle the situation.

#mooneyes #hcs2014 #becalmnotloud
    Be Sociable, Share!

2. Give them an ultimatum that if the show is no longer held there, we/them will ride by their fuckin high rise condos every single day for the rest of their pathetic lives. Ok, maybe not so drastic, but it sounds good in MY head.

3. Cant believe you said that ,not every one is a hotrodder ...........

4. dlnqnt73

dlnqnt73

Dammit :( was looking forward to seeing the rides outside and all that noise and madness. Cant blame the locals though, been going for a few years now. But seriously, it's for 1 day of the year.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, for that one day, maybe the bikes and Hot Rods that normally park outside, could be trailered. Yea, it sucks, but if that's the way it is, well.......

Keep in mind, that Japan and it's judicial system are worlds away from what we know as "freedom".

And before someone says it couldn't happen here, yes, it could. Like the slogan, "Only if you pry it from my cold dead hand." Well guess what, maybe the government wants to do it that way. Food for thought.

6. dlnqnt73

dlnqnt73

Yep and as Shige points out the Japanese culture basically sees what we do as outlaw so to them it must seem like hell has opened up

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

One day this week, I'll drive through downtown Houston and set off some car alarms with my exhaust. For the Brothers over seas.

8. daddylama

daddylama

sure it can happen here. ever been to Huntington Beach, CA? I haven't in a long time. got a ticket every single time I went through there for having loud pipes... on a totally stock, quiet motorcycle.

"be calm not loud"

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update

10. Is this a case of a culture coming through so much so as not to be prepared to put up with retrograde standards of behaviour?
    Open pipes also suck for those in urban living areas.
    With freedom comes respect.
    Example; I am but one of many who find it offensive to fry tyres to the rims in one stupid burnout and call it as 'cool'. I like the occasional glasspack street peel out or quick trip down the 1/4 as much as anyone, but burnout 'competitions' are wanton destruction, environmental cynicism and hideous consumption.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. Sorry to hear this fatdad. Been a long time since we got together. hope all is well. Trent

12. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

I agree with deathbound shove it down thier throsts and up thier........nuff said

13. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Throats= throst

14. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

The cultural problem is, in Japan, loud bikes are automatically lumped as "Bosozoku".
    Watch here:

This is the element the condo folks fear are being allowed to move into "their" neighbourhood.......

They're a strange, fairly harmless bunch who's thing in life is to get together in numbers and be as publicly obnoxious as possible......kind of like a big group middle finger to society. They also love to do the group roll through a red light intersection - awesome when a truck comes the other way and they come off second best....

What does all of this mean??

Well, when I think of Harpoon rolling a custom chopper INSIDE a convenience store for an impromptu photo shoot without the old bloke's permission - it's still one of the funniest things I ever saw in Japan!

...........good times.......

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  15. latest on the Moon show: the preview video recently released.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for Cool update on Show

17. Today, I had lunch with a couple of guys from Mooneyes, they relayed that the show will be a full house in regards to cars and bikes, all seems to be on schedule and everyone is looking forward to hopefully not having any issues (per above)...

Who is planning on jumping a/the pond and attending???

18. For those interested, this was posted on Mooneyes today. Is typically a good party, location is really not near any train or subway stops unfortunately.

This year magazine hosted by DicE DicE Party 23 rd in Tycoon continental held on the eve of the Annual YOKOHAMA HOT ROD CUSTOM SHOW.

Come join your time you are. DicE Party on: 12/6 (SAT) 9:00 pm ~ 2: 00 am entrance fee: 2,000 yen (with 1 drink) location: Tycoon continental 3-4-17 Shin-Yamashita Naka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture 231-0801, Japan caricature Bill 2F
    281866_737275229696753_9085698566033734905_n.jpg