Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How Are We doing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Photos load great…like 2 seconds each! Love the click-to-enlarge feature on photos.

2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Man the photos are loading well for me. EDDIE.jpg

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, thanks! I would never have figured that one out!

4. elba

elba

I didn't like it at first. But Ike it now that I have used it. THE WHITE BACKGROUND NEEDS A DIMMER SWITCH !

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's fuckin great, and it keeps gettin greater. Keep doin what you're doin, boss. And THANKS!

6. I dunno. Everything seems tip top to me. A couple of features work a little differently but it's not hard to adjust to the changes and from a functional standpoint everything seems to be an improvement. The look and feel, everything is a step forward.

Technology and how we use it has to evolve. Can you imagine sitting here looking at a version of the HAMB and still using 1991 technology? Few people would be posting user images. My Windows 3.1 286 with four whopping megs of RAM and my dial up modem wouldn't be up to the task. Yep, the HAMB with a big spinning GIF of the logo at the top.

It's strange. People have gotten so used to experiencing miracles I guess it's no big deal anymore. Frankly, I'm amazed that we have this at our fingertips. A few short years ago none of this would have been possible.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. Model T1

Model T1

Well I read everything in this thread. I guess this is where I'm supposed to either brag or grip. Even though I don't know crap about computers or this new format I sorta like it already. No I don't understand a lot of it but that's partly because I haven't been on as much or done as much.
    I really hadn't noticed but I do agree with things appearing too white and bright. The font actually seems to fade at times. But in all fairness about three years ago I messed up my right eye and mostly only see with one. I'm among those old farts and change ain't easy anymore.
    Thanks Ryan for giving us these threads to gripe and thanks for making the HAMB such a great place.

8. Its bloody awesome....no further comment needed:D

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think I've fielded enough gripes about it being too white. Totally bums me out to do it, but I'll try some alternatives.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 likes this.
  10. roundvalley

roundvalley

99% all good after I started to learn the new format. Put my vote in the PM column.

11. I'm learning. Slowly, but surely. I did like the PM feature better than the conversation thing I think. I had a problem and sent a message to Ryan and got a response quickly. Good service for this old fart.
    Later,
    Dick

12. That's a bummer. I like the contrast and the colors. You folks know you can adjust your monitors, right?

bchrismer likes this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

working great as far as i'm concerned!

14. Then I'll have to make my first complaint.
    I will miss the white :p

bchrismer likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I don't mind the white too much, but the font on messages shows up kind of funky. windows 7 running firefox. The weighting of the vertical lines of some letters is weird. Maybe it looks right on some other kind of computer?

hamb.jpg

16. I like the white....................................

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

The old deal just seemed homier. How about a 'change background' feature for those of us who can't handle the 'deer in the headlights' bright white. That's my only bitch, seems to run fine here.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, for one thing, with the old pm system, when you had an unread pm, it would tell you in the upper right hand corner as soon as you logged in. Now, it doesnt even alert you on forum, it just sends something to your email, assuming you have that feature enabled. And I spend more time on the HAMB than I do logged into my email. So, uh yea, it is different..

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The new design is artistically brilliant -- and it is not working for me as a forum. There is too much white space, to much mixing of large and small font sizes, wasted space - huge avatars, for example, like who cares when that much less 'paydirt' (post content) is available on each screen. The information density per page has taken a nosedive, and I find that to be a huge negative. Again, the graphic design is striking -- just not very useful.

20. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

I like the new format just fine. It took me a while to get the hang of it but once I did then no problem.
    Change is good, otherwise we would not have hot rods, just stockers like mine. (I got a hot rod too.)

21. I agree with you on this Jim. HRP

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto here. Yesterday, it suddenly re-appeared in the body of another post, and I didnt notice till I clicked on "post reply". Not as big a thing as the PM's in my opinion (I use PM's a LOT now), and all in all, I like most of the new changes.

23. The tab at the top of the page with the envelope on it turns red when you have a message. Seems like a pretty simple indicator to me.

24. 40 VC

40 VC
    from Minnesota

The white background is fine, just like a word processing or email background.

25. Squablow

Squablow

I must be the only guy who likes the Conversations instead of PMs, with a Conversation, you can read through all the replies from the top instead of clicking back onto a bunch of email-like messages to re-read what you've already wrote. It's actually one of the features I really like.

I also like the new photo uploader, way, way easier than running everything through Photobucket, although it'd be nice if it would automatically resize pictures that are too big when you try to upload them. Don't know how hard that would be to set up, but if I post a pic on Facebook or something, it just automatically resizes it for me, I don't have to reduce the file size myself.

That, and the big size of everything, even when I reduce it down on my computer, I liked being able to read more than a couple paragraphs or thread titles before having to scroll down. I'm not a big fan of the huge-ness.

As far as speed goes, everything seems to work nice, I haven't had issues there.

26. careyohio

careyohio

You changed something ???? I'm 73 years old ....and every day is a new day to me.........Been on here since 2008 ......Hell , after two weeks I couldn't even remember how the "OLD" H.A.M.B. worked.......Good job Ryan !!!!

Model T1 and dad-bud like this.
  27. Dirk35

Dirk35

Am I doing something wrong? I haven't figured out how to see what anything in the classified costs when using the app on the iPhone.

28. Overall, I love the new format. In fact, I have trouble remembering how the old one was. Progress :)
    Pages are loading quicker. Uploading pictures is a breeze. Everything feels more streamlined.

I have no real complains, only minor tweaks that I can see. The main ones...
    - As others have said, getting the picture links fixed should be a priority. Makes it real tough to reference tech without them

- Albums. I like the albums. They're pretty easy to get to from the 'Profile' drop down tag. However, when you're in an album, there's no quick way to go back to your albums:
    Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 10.58.32 PM.png
    Clicking on the "Albums" button right above the Album title takes you back to the general screen of Albums uploaded by all users. From there, you either have to click "Your Albums on the left hand side" or go to the Profile drop down again.

- Social forums. It doesn't seem like there's any way to have a picture gallery like there used to be? Is there something I'm missing for that?

- Subscribed threads. I know I've mentioned this before, but getting the different folders back would be a real bonus. I don't know if that's possible under the new format.

Keep it up @Ryan! You're on a great track. From my seat, just tweaks on your end, and adjusting to the new layout on our end.

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Posting pics now could not be easier.