Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How Are We doing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 19, 2014.

1. I finally figgered out the new PM mode-and got a reply in 2-3 mins.I see on the right the list of who is online but no little dot under avatar showing on or offline like before.No biggy,so far I'm
    learning-teaching myself.Too much good info here to sweat the learning curve.
    Almost forgot...Thanx Ryan and all the folks that keep this HAMB running.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I like it!
    Is it just me or do the posted photos look sharper and clearer?

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No.,that brings up every post they have made. The old forum allowed you to bring up individual threads, so you didn't have to sort through hundreds of posts looking for a particular thread.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I use google when I need to find something on a forum. This forum, other forums, doesn't matter...google wins the search contest.

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Honesty Ryan, I haven't had any problems figureing the new Hamb , maybe I'm a bigger computer geek than I thought:D, Keep up the good work,, Tim Jones

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Works for me. Questions were answered when I had them. Kick it into overdrive.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Works great. The people having problems, just need to take an hour or two and play with it. It works, if you work it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

I can't really compare new to old, I did visit the old site from time to time but didn't join until late may 14
    I like the site, i'm sure I am not using it to it's full potential.
    But it compares well with other forums I have belonged to.
    I will say on my I phone I like to just use the mobile site rather than the HAMB app, and maybe As I learn more the HAMB app will work better.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  9. The roll over feature still doesn't seem to work with Windows 8 in Chrome. I have been able to get it to work in every other Windows format with Chrome and with IE used with Windows 8 but not with Chrome in Windows 8.

Everything else seems to work great. I think a lot of peoples problems would be solved if they just took some time and read the tutorials.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

On my phone now, so no screen grab. From the search pop up, click "more." Then, look at the tabs on the advanced search page. Click the one that says "threads and posts."

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. the rest of it seems to work pretty good, but I sure wish we could go back to the old "PM" system.

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

The new forum runs OK for me, but some of the text is a bit tough to read, and Ryan your sig text gets microscopic.

Overall It has some pluses and some minuses, but nothing else major (or even worth mentioning.)

13. Well, I don't use a smart phone or anything but an old computer with DSL and really, I have been able to do anything and find any function now that I could before. I have not had any problems that were not rectified by reading the tutorials ( which I think a lot of people do not do). I like the format and graphics now that I am used to them so I essentially like the switch.
    Good job, Ryan. Have a Dos Equis on me....but you pay for it..;)

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I like it although it is a bit bright to these old eyes.
    The only thing I so miss from the dark ages was the ability to move the cursor over
    a thread title and get a few words of the subject matter.
    Some thread titles are vague or so non-descript that it was a nice feature.
    Blame it on the posters ;)

15. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Like all changes, it took me a while to get used to it, now it looks like I expect it to!

One thing still confuses me (I posted this on one of the other threads but maybe you didn't see it) -
    Take a look at the 'Vega Box in a 40 Ford' thread - no replies, no views, N/A in last post and a funny blue arrow - when I open it all is normal....Am I being 're-directed' ?

[​IMG]

16. Maybe it's just me but I don't see how conversations are any different that the PM's were other than the nomenclature. Pick a member, start a conversation, type message then send. How is that different?

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah. I had the picture posting stuff down within an hour of the H.A.M.B. coming back up in the new format. For the most part I love it, and it is much simpler than the old stuff. But Sunday night as I was trying to upload photos it was:

1, Running very slow

2. Sometimes would stall at say 12% and throw an error notice

3. Would load one with the percentage bar active to 100%, then the next with no bar and no control over the picture size. Literally nothing to say it loaded.

4. Would show that a picture loaded at full size and then after posting appear at thumbnail size.

5. Would show that a picture was loaded, then after posting would disappear.

6. Would sometimes post the same picture twice.

C.W.s 40 was having the same problems I had throughout most of this and I posted to his thread as well. Tom Davidson kinda helped me on mine explaining why sometimes I was getting double posts, but still there was lots of problems doin' the deal. As I said earlier, I'm still not ruling out my forced antiquated connection, but there isn't much I can do about that.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I still haven't figured our all the features so I learn only when the need arises. But I always grumble when things change and once I get it figured our then I can understand why the change was made for the better.
    I've made a lot of friends here and I can't express how important that is. The everyday chit-chat is good, but you can't put a price tag on the friendships I've made.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Mazooma1, you said it right there....

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, there is a little tiny box that says "display results as threads". That helps but it displays every thread the member posted in, not the ones he started. Still searching.

For example. Try to find the thread that Hotrodprimer started on his wagon.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  21. Yes...that thread was originally posted in the Traditional Hot Rods section and was moved to the general discussion section.

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The only issue I have is not a problem for the HAMB. Seems I cannot stay logged in on the HAMB, Garage Journal, Fordbarn and several other sites using my iPad. However, not a problem using the apps. According to Apple techs, it has to do with my OS. Posting photos is great!

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's a redirect to a thread that has been moved.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm running into a weird issue on here. If I start typing a post and change my mind and don't post it, it doesn't go away when I close it out. In other words, I can close out the HAMB and go elsewhere on the internet, but when I come back on my typed words are still there.

This seems to be a new problem. Anyone else have that same issue ?

Don

25. squirrel

squirrel

I think that's a feature, Don. If you screw up and accidentally leave with a post half finished, it saves it automatically.

26. Go to Hodrodprimers profile page, click on information tab, scroll down and click on Find all threads by hotrodprimer.

27. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

I think you tried to do too much too soon. Not only do photos not load but the new system has locked me up and kicked me out many times. Getting to be too much effort for me, sorry.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Maybe, Jim. I have even deleted the entire post by highlighting it and then deleting it, but the next time I go to that thread it is there, staring me in the face !

Seems to be no way to kill it !

Don

29. My two biggest gripes are:
    1. When you click the home button, it takes you to the Jalopy Journal page and not the H.A.M.B. home screen like it used to. I know I can click the other button, but its pretty well ingrained in my brain to click the far left button to get back to start. And besides, who reads the Jalopy Journal page anyway? :p
    2. Having to hover over the avatar to see where a person is from, how many posts they have, etc. I would like to see that info without having to mouse over a person's avatar. Oh, and while we're on that subject, why can't we go back to being grenade inspectors? I liked that job.

Picking nits, I know... I was here for the last big HAMB upgrade (to the format we just went away from), and I didn't like that move, although I got used to it. This format I liked immediately; so much of it is just plain easier or more intuitive to use.
    I'm seeing a lot of people posting again that I haven't seen in a long time... I'm sure some of your traffic increase is new interest from stale members.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Can't understand anyone bad mouthing the HAMB!!! If I were to come on here now, 'cold', never seen this before, etc. I'd say... "Wow....."
    But I've been here since the beginning. This is a site that could have recorded intelligent hot rod conversations in Santa Clara in 1954.
    O.K., not EVERY post... but on these sites that are critiquing this (and us) Their subjects are unknowledgeable, postings illegible, and their aims are unintelligible! Almost like politics.
    At the HAMB I YAM!