Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is there a Westley's Bleche White Alternative?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Jun 18, 2014.

1. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

The Black Magic "stuff" is just about colored water compared to the original.

I don't know if I can live without the original Westley's.

I wonder what it would take to find out the active ingredients for the original?

Is it possible to get MSDS documents for discontinued products?

2. Take foaming engine degreaser and spray all four tires and when your done with the last one start washing off the first! Dont let it dry on there and it will look like new! If not you screwed up and trusted me1

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

4. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Finding suggestions from other pages:
    • LA's Awesome Orange
    • Purple Power (Wal*Mart, etc.)
    But the real test is to spray it on white walls and watch the solution turn dark yellow. That's when you know it's taking all the dead rubber off the tire.

Someone did a youtube comparison with the BM and BM Improved Formula and the BMIF was better but not like the original.

I found this list of ingredients for the "Old Formula"
    The current BM product MSDS lists no ingredients - just their hazards and handling information.
    Could be the same "dumbing down" that happened to the Castrol Purple Degreaser (and subsequently Super Clean.

I miss the days of Benzene, Carbon Tet, Chlordane, and just plain ole phosphates in laundry detergent...

and yet, they put MTBE in gasoline which makes the above look like butter-creme icing...

5. RHunt

RHunt

simple green and a kitchen sponge

6. Purple power or greased lightning,,I've used both for years and never had a problem. HRP

7. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Foaming engine cleaner? Like Gunk? Isn't that stuff is basically kerosene and detergent?

I suppose a Brillo Pad would work, but they existed way back when WBW did and still everyone I knew used WBW.

The real question is what made the liquid turn dark yellow when you used it on tires?

And also, WBW was the product to take the dark scum off fluorescent light fixture reflectors. I worked in the maintenance department in a factory and WBW was the only stuff that cut that stuff. And it instantly took it off.

8. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Kaboom foaming spray. Sprays purple and turns white when clean

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

10. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

In the past, Purple Power could not compare with Super Clean. But as years pass, these products get ruined by the EPA - like ZDDP in oil and how it is basically kept secret from the average consumer with a flat tappet cam. Perhaps PP equals SC or is better - but I will not buy PP until SC quits performing for me.

I did try SC on my whitewalls and it did nothing like WBW. SC appears to "clean" the tire but does not get the "dead rubber" off.

Keep in mind, I'm talking specifically about cleaning white walls. For cleaning in general SC is the best I know of if you can tolerate its causticity.

11. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

X2

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple green and a kitchen sponge
    X 3....

13. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

SOS pads all the way

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have always used Westleys. Did they stop making it or ruin the formula?

15. I'm using a bottle of W.B.W now on my Model A hiboy. I bought the bottle at Auto Bone about a year ago. It acts "watered down". A formula readjustment maybe?? iphone pictures 007.JPG

16. terry48435

terry48435

I have had good luck with Fast Orange hand cleaner.

17. Hey,I just threw it out there..Purple power & greased lightning are both inexpensive and does the job for me.

Like I said earlier,they are all I have ever used on white walls,,both Bias Ply and radials.HRP

[​IMG]

18. wsdad

wsdad

Coke found out that the old Westley's formula was exactly the same as the New Coke formula from 1985, so they had to stop making it.

19. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I use Comet powder and a scrub brush. Works great

20. stimpy

stimpy

from my old stock of whestleys , main ingredient ,Tri Sodium Phosphate ( TSP) they removed it in the new formula ( replaced with sodium meta silicate ) , and the store TSp is not true tsp its its EDTA and sodium meta silicate , I clean tires with a SOS pad as there is caustic in the soap and it cleans them good .

21. there's a product i use called spray magic. not sure where it comes from, but a lady comes around selling it a couple times a year. its pink and it works like crazy. i'll try to find info.

before that, simple green and a stiff bristled brush.

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

sos pads work great

23. fsae0607

fsae0607

This works very well. Used to do this back in high school when I ran out of WBW.

24. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I have diamond backs and they recommend simple green , no bleach or brillo,sos ect...

25. Yup, That's what I use Simple green and those green scrungie pads.
    -Pat

26. mike bowling

mike bowling

I bought a set of Diamondbacks a few years ago and the sales guy went into a big song and dance about the care and "cleaning" of whitewall tires-( NEVER use Westley's!!) I looked at him and said"Clean my whitewalls?Really?"

27. indyjps

indyjps

I use that snot like hand degreaser with a nylon bristle brush on tires, also use it to remove bugs/tar from paint with a soft towel. Haven't had whitewalls in years so I can't speak for that.

28. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

A big supplier of nostalgic tires (not diamond back) suggested to me that westlies wasn't good for the white walls and said they had a cleaner for white walls. Then he said if I didn't want to use theirs, to use simple green. It's worked great for me. But, my son cleaned the wide whites on our PT Cruiser (OT but done up "traditional style") 4 weeks ago and they still look good with him driving it nearly every day. He used Eagle-one tire cleaner. I watched him spray it on and then wipe, not scrub, the solution off. Absolutely amazing! Ashamed to say, but I had been neglecting this car for well over a year. It had been sitting outside and not driven so the white walls were almost black. Anyway I would recommend Eagle-one even though I still have plenty of westlies and simple green. Just my suggestion, hope after all the posts you don't go broke trying all of the suggestions.

29. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Forgot to mention. A few years ago in Las Vegas at an antique mall, I found a box of Jumbo Brillo Pads for cleaning wide white walls. Said so right on the box and the pads were still in the box. Then a few years later I bought a very large box of standard size 'brillo' pads off ebay. The outside of the box said for white walls.

30. papajohn

papajohn

Spray with" Totally Awesome" ( from the dollar store)and add some Soft Scrub. Works great, keep it off aluminum.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

Flatblack 31 likes this.