Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packard Tailights on a Fleetline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oddrodd, Jun 12, 2014.

1. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

I can get a 1950 Chevy Fleetline mild custom. I am a fan of the 1956 Packard taillights and seen them on many Chevy's but not fastbacks. Looked through many early mags with no luck on an early customs. Thinking the sloped back will make too big of a fin to fit the taillights. Any ideas / pics? Thanks

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Don't think it would look right. Too tall and too much taillight for the fastback

3. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Agree it would not look right. Here is a pic of the 56 Packard light on a Fleetline but inverted.
    It flows better, but still not sure I like it.[​IMG]

I think Fraizer tail lights look better as shown on Frank Livingston's Chevy
    [​IMG]

wbrw32 likes this.
  4. Not that you really asked for an opinion, but those Packard taillights (along with '59 Cadillac taillights) are one of the most overused taillights in customizing, no matter what kind of car they are on. I like the way both of them look, but after you have seen each a million times, they lose some of their impact, at least to me. That's why other genres of cars are so boring (muscle cars, restored tri-5 chevies, etc). The same thing over and over and over again.

Why don't you find someone who knows how to draw & get them to sketch up some designs and you could form some custom taillights? Then you would have something different and neat that no one else has. I know it's easy for me to suggest because I don't have to do the work, but custom taillights are relatively simple and cheap to make, especially as compared to chopping a top or even painting a car.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

5. Gotzy

Gotzy

Agree with the others, too big for your year, work excellent on '55s though. And ignore anyone who says they are over used, that would stop everyone doing anything...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Have you thought about those 56/7 or 58-60 corvette taillights? When I saw the photo of the Fraizer lights, those Corvette lights came to mind.

7. I like what was done on the black Fleetline. Never seen them inverted before.
    That car has no twins at a car show.

8. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

As said above, '58 Vette lights would look good too. The sit flat and do not interrupt the flow of the fender line.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

10. I like customs and contrary to popular belief,at least in this thread,I love the look on this car. HRP

[​IMG]

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Gotta admit, that black car with the Packard lights is looking sharp.

12. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

X2, love that

13. Jakes38

Jakes38

In some alternate universe, THIS should have been the Batmobile. I DIG!

14. layedout49

layedout49

I would run something like . 50 pontiac , 54 merc , the Frazier . Anything that flows with the slope of the quarters

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

SteppinOut likes this.
  15. luckystiff

luckystiff

i think the fraiser like on livingstons car are one of the best.

one that most would miss but i think could be used in several different ways is.........gasp...... 1962-1970 VW type 3. esp utilizing the flat euro lenses. flipped the would look like longer version of the fraiser unit. i've got a set of the housings and 3 us style lenses i was saving but took them to the last swap i went to. i think i put $40 on the housings with 3 lenses(all 3 good). the flat lenses are repopped now and are about $100 for the repopor og's are about twice that. maybe i should throw the set up in e classifieds......

16. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Just saw this one on another site. Looks good too and plenty available to do it.
    49-50 Ford lights.
    [​IMG]

Model T1 and straykatkustoms like this.
  17. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

Ya, the Packard lights look best of all shown IMHO

Never finished

18. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

DSC_0662.jpg ......they look good like this with the buick bumper, and the reverse lights trimmed off

Model T1 likes this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't believe anyone thinks the black car looks good. looks like a nice build, but the tail lights ruin the whole car.

chopper99 likes this.
  20. The Packard lights will work on a 51-52 because they have that bit of fin to them, but on a 49-50 there's nothing to go with really. I was going to try '62 Olds lights turned sideways on mine.

That car with them turned upside down, they must be a bitch to see from behind in daylight, because they aim up in the sky instead of back at the car behind you.

21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is our 51........the tail lights are from 1999 Mercury Sable.........not HAMB friendly but very good looking

[​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  22. I like it,,we are all entitled to our on opinions,I can't believe anyone wouldn't like it! o_O,,sarcasm works best with emoticons! :D HRP

23. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Caddy taillights don't excite me but are easier to install. In the world of traditional customs even an early Custom Magazine I ran across there was an article on how to install the new trend of 56 Packard taillights. The car is a mild custom. Frenched headlights, nosed, decked, shaved, lowered, and white pleated interior. I suppose these could be considered overused also but these are the features that make it what it is.

24. oddrodd

oddrodd
    from Michigan

Glad to finally see 1. I'm on the fence about the look. Not sure if they would look better or worse on an unchopped.

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's like someone went in my mind and stole my thoughts.

There are so many weird cool little chrome bezels and things out there, making custom lenses is a great idea. Everything has been done 1000 times. I used to think my car was special because I was running 37 Chrysler Tail lights. Then I noticed literally 30 Model A's with them!

26. Those really look cool! I can tell what they are from after you said that. Nice work!

hrm2k likes this.
  27. Of course, people have been using these taillights since they were new. In fact some of my favorite customs from this time have these lights. I'm just saying that it would be more unique to not use something that has been used a million times before.

As far as frenched headlights, nosing, decking, shaving, lowering, etc. those are all techniques that help make a custom car what it is. That's totally different. Without at least some of those things, you have a stocker, not a custom. What I'm talking about are components from individual makes & models of cars that are overused to death, like DeSoto grill teeth, 56-58 Packard taillights, Buick sweepspear sidetrim, and '57 Cadillac wheelcovers. I'm just saying it would be nice to see more people use their imaginations, and try and think of different ideas. When you look at the old magazines, there was a lot of that. These days it isn't as prevalent.