Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just bought my son his first project car - 1954 Buick Special

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Matt Fisher, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Hi everyone, I'm Matt. I just bought my 16 year old son his first project car. It's a 1954 Buick Special 2 door hardtop that needs a little help. He's really excited to tear into this car, but I want to take our time and teach his as we go (i've got a lot to learn too!).

I've never had a Buick, but I can already tell that this car is really cool and has a ton of potential. I'm finding out that some parts are going to be hard to come by. I'm hoping that some of you guys can share some of your wisdom and help us out along the way.

I'm planning on taking a lot of pics and videos along the way, and I'll try to post our progress as we start new phases of the project.

Here is a pic of the car. We're going to start cleaning the car out and getting our plan together this week. I'll try to get some more photos up soon. image.jpeg

1954vicky likes this.
  2. Had one in 1958 lowered , hondourus. Maroon . Great cruser.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

That's awesome. I hope we can get this one back to being a great cruiser soon.

4. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

That's a real nice looking car! Although there isn't a lot of activity for the older ones, v8buick.com could be a great resource. Also team buick is another...

I have a 67 Lesabre and a 67 Electra 225, but would love to have one from about 1950 up :)

-Matt

5. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Thanks Matt.. most of the car is pretty solid. It'll need floor pans, rockers, and the driver side quarter has been wrecked, but overall it is a pretty good starting point. My son really likes the style of the mid '50s Buicks, and we've been on the hunt for a while. Thanks for the resources.. we'll definitely check them out!

6. Pete 54

Pete 54
    from Australia.

Hi Matt, Looks like you and your son have got a project there. I'm just finishing of a build of a 4 door myself and I'll be happy to refer you to some good parts places there in the U.S.
    All the best from Australia!

7. WilliD

WilliD
    from Illinois

Nice looking Buick to redo ...love that Grill..

8. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Thanks Pete.. Any recommendations for parts would be great! We're looking for sheet metal (rockers, floor pans, and a driver side quarter panel) and driver side chrome trim. Also curious about the front disc brake conversion kits from discbrakemike.com or scare bird.com. Thanks.. Matt

9. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Thanks Willi.. I'm in love with the front end of this car. The grill and headlights are what sold me

10. Pete 54

Pete 54
    from Australia.

Just bought this 'Buick locating guide' from Faxon on ebay which covers your model. Their free call number is 18004582734. I got all the parts I needed from ebay NOS and reproduction, also a gent (Hep-cat) in Canada for some really obscure parts. Can't help u on the brakes but I think Kanter's might be able to help. All the best.

11. ratroda

ratroda

I am interested in the tailight stands . I am building a humpback sedan and am located near Memphis. Can you send me shipping cost and information how I can pay you for them.
    Thanks
    Charlie
    901-493-1753

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Awesome.. Thanks Pete. I'll give them a call.

13. 54buick

54buick

Wow, thats a great start with a nice Buick! If you want to know how the car was originally painted, let me know. I could decode the factory infos for you. Another source for you might be www.1954buick.com.

14. Truett Neathery

Truett Neathery

A guy at El Mirage had a Century with 4 exhausts coming out the portholes! Did 100 and was dissapiinted - disputed J.Otto's clock!

15. Looking forward to the updates. HRP

16. One of the best looking cars ever made

17. goldtele

goldtele

Welcome Brother! Funny where I run into you at! LOL -Eli

18. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Have a ton of parts for a 54 55 buick 2dr ht. Let me know. Have power steering complete. Have all trim great condition. Have two radiators need rebuild. Have great floor complete. Let me know.
    Nice car.
    I only need headlight covers for mine.

19. 19ford49

19ford49
    from Casper,Wyo

Welcome. These have the coolest looking front ends. These are nice when finishes.

20. 51cambridge

51cambridge

21. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

Looks like a cool project!