Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical best cam for a 400 SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimv, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Jimv

Jimv

I have a 400 CI SBC in my T bucket.Its a stock engine ( dished pistons) with block hugger headers, Pertronixs ignition, 2.80 rear,Turbo 350 tranny, 3 deuces & a 2300 stall converter. I want to get a cam that's will just give me a little bit more punch, nothing radical.
    So the question is can anyone tell me what "the specs are on the stock cam & what would be a good "mild" cam for me?
    Thanks
    JimV

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

3. sdluck

sdluck

What heads are on it.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look at some of the Isky super cams.

5. Jimv

Jimv

stock heads, 1.94's nothing special.
    JimV

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have a similar set up in my old truck. I called Comp Cams and they recommended one of their Thumpr cams. They asked several detailed questions about my vehicle and the engine transmission setup before making their recommendation. It made sense to me to buy one that they recommended based on their experience. I have been very happy with it.

Just a side note. I have been making passes with the old truck for about 15 years. The only work the engine has required is a cam change due to a couple of flat lobes. This was probably caused by the reduction of zinc in the oil I used at the time. My best time was 13.1 during the second season that I ran the truck. Today, after many passes, it has slowed to about 13.5 and I do not push it as hard. An old man with slow reflexes does not make for a good nostalgia bracket racer .

I am usually the only vehicle entered that is driven to the strip and driven home. I may be the one who is having the most fun.

John

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

"""I want to get a cam that's will just give me a little bit more punch, nothing radical."""

Take the 2.80 gears out and put in a set of 3.55's.
    That'll "really" wake up your car. THEN, you can decide if you still need more cam.

Mike

8. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I would go with the gear swap too. Easier swap.

9. Jimv

Jimv

gear swap isn't a option right now, my cam is worn so its got to go.

10. My brother had a car with a 400 with a RV/towing cam in it and, highway gears in the rear and, the car ran damn good for what it was.

11. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

12. Dished pistons as in 8:1 or less static compression dished pistons?

The reason I ask is that a low compression engine and I am assuming stock heads as in lazy open chamber heads is not going to handle much of a cam and if you call any major came manufacturer and get a tech worth his salt you are going to either hear the same thing or his is going to recommend a cam that is pretty close to the stock camshaft.

Someone mentioned an RV cam if you decide to go with one I have specs and a part number on a Lunati that I have used with good success on smaller displacement engines. It may just work for you.

Or my go to cam for street driven SBCs is an L-79. I have even stuffed them on low compression engines and they did well, they certainly didn't perform up to their potential but they added a little spunk to the mill and have a decent sound of sound it what you are after. Crane makes an excellent blueprint cam of the L-79 and it is not expensive.

Anyway that is my thoughts in the subject.

13. oregonite

oregonite

I have a 480lift/230 duration 108 degree lobe center in my 400 in a '66 Nova and it's a good street cam.

14. greybeard360

greybeard360

Look at the Lunati VooDoo cams. Select something with pretty short duration to keep the idle fairly mild. It takes a pretty loose convertor in that light of a car to allow for a real choppy cam. I have used this grind in several motors and it sounds almost stock but gives some serious pull thru the low and mid range..... 10120702LK

Don't let the gentle idle fool you !!

15. I just put a Comp 268H in my stock 73, 350 with stock TH350 and 3.08:1 rear. Got it at the recommendation of a reputable local engine builder. Has a little higher lift than stock but supposed to work with stock springs. Haven't started the engine yet so can't comment on performance.

16. oldsman41

oldsman41

had the same cam as greybeard had in my last car, ran real nice. if you save some bucks up put a 373 ratio rear end in it and run a 700r4. that combo will make your hair stand up stop light to stop light and when it locks up in od you can just cruise along.

17. indyjps

indyjps

Low compression, lazy 70's smogger heads, and 2.80 gear. You don't want a very large cam, comp 262 or 268 something in that range. Dual pattern cam will help you on the exhaust side.

18. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

can't go wrong with the 30-30 cam.

19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Reher of Reher and Morrison was quoted as saying that the cams of today are so much better than the old days and even a cam like quoted above is better than any stock cam the specs are just more precise. You can never go wrong with a mild cam in your "Stock " motor. The Comp cams 268 is an excellent choice. A 30-30 cam is so old and the specs on them vary on every thousand they made.

In my opinion

Pat

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That make sense.