Register now to get rid of these ads!

10 spoke ET Gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low-n-slo54, Jun 11, 2014.

1. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

When would these have been used on a T? Found a pair for a real decent price and I want to use them but I want to be sure that they will fit the era. Going for an early 60's look.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. If it matters,,I had American 10 spokes on the front of my T back in 1961

low-n-slo54 likes this.
  3. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

That's the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

4. Be aware. At the time I got mine, they were made for a tapered type hub ( conical ) If you have hubs that are not ....... well. Machining or $$$ after market hubs.

5. They were very common in the 60's although we mostly saw them on Gassers,at least here in the South. HRP

6. Most didn't have front brakes that I saw.

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Originals were actually 12 spoke and spindle mount only. ETs have ten to allow for lug spacing.

8. If you are building a Street T or what we called a Fad T, They mostly got 18 or 19 inch Wire wheels with Motor cycle tires. Cast 12 spokes were for Strip race cars only. In the later 60's Hallcraft made a Wire Spoke with a small disc brake rotor. C.C.R. (California Custom Roadsters) in Orange Cal. was one of the largest suppliers of parts and complete Kit Cars around at the time. I think they are still there.
    The Wizzard

9. ET 10-spoke "Gasser" wheels are a recent invention designed to allow use of lug nut mounting.
    They are *NOT* period-correct for a '60's build.

12-spoke spindle-mounts are what the Fuel Altered cars were using and you should be looking for, to mount on your T. If you can't find (or can't afford) a set of originals, Radir makes some nice-looking repos. Here's a link: http://www.radirwheels.com/wheels.htm

10. Funny thing about 'gasser wheels' is you'd have to look through a LOT of images from the gas classes BITD to find any gassers with those wheels. They should be called altered wheels.

Gas classes used steel wheels, Halibrands and then Cragars (when Cragar paid contingencies) and other cast wheels, but 12 spokes? Altereds.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gary and X38 hit on two very important points. 1. The ET Gasser is about the most mis-named thing being sold on this planet today. Gassers in their original intent had to have functional street equipment including front brakes. It wasn't until late in the "gasser era" that this restriction was lifted, and by that time the original American 12 spoke was in it's 18" era. As originally used they were VERY common on early sixties rails, and became almost standard equipment on Altereds from the start. The original spindle mount version of these wheels DID end up on several of the A/FX type early Funny Cars by the mid-sixties, and that is the only way I can imagine that some thought of these as "gasser" wheels.
    2. The ten spoke bolt on deal with this is about a five to ten year old phenomenon, and not even close to a traditional wheel. Absolutely as wrong as a giant bucket of salami ice cream. If they aren't the spindle mount real deal, they show a confusion about what this stuff is all about and a lack research on the part of the buyer. Do some digging, hit some swaps, save some bucks and get the real thing on these...

Muttley and Special Ed like this.
  12. Weasel

Weasel

The 10 spoke bolt on ET 'gassers' are for people who don't get it plain and simple.

13. Jibs

Jibs

Never seen the spindle mount 12 spokes on gassers, since they had to have front brakes. Most of the quick Altereds used them, no front brakes.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's not quite true. ET actually came out with this same wheel in the late 60's or early 70's, but they were a flop. Hardly any sold back then, so they were quickly dropped. Then the design was renewed and brought out in recent years with more success.
    I've seen the old ET advertisement in one of the gasser threads here on the HAMB previously, but not sure which post it was in now.

15. brad2v

brad2v

The 10 spoke ET's can be spotted at 100 paces, and always immediately strike me as fake looking.

Muttley likes this.
  16. As wrong as they are ....

You'll see more of these wheels than any other at a nostalgia event.

Ignorance is bliss because they really do not look bad, but if you know the difference it makes you cringe

17. squirrel

squirrel

Just yesterday I was offered a pair to borrow for free for my altered wheelbase car...politely turned them down.

Muttley and bowie like this.
  18. Just awful aren't they

Attached Files:

19. Jibs

Jibs

Yes they are. If they were the real spindle mount wheels, they still would not look right on a Willys. Those bolt on 10 spoke are just plain ugly. Sorry just my opinion

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Muttley likes this.
  20. Weasel

Weasel

They don't even belong on an Altered and they should not belong on anything.

Muttley likes this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't own any, but I do like the look myself. I'd be afraid to put them on a car if I did, just because of all the negativity surrounding them.

22. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Geez...the timing of this thread is perfect. I was contemplating buying a couple of 10 spoke wheels for my Gasser to replace the Cragars. I definitely won't now, thanks for the 'heads up' ...

23. These wheels sure do provoke some passionate discussion. There's been a few threads.

I'm sure on one thing though- that's is that everyone could agree that they'd not mind being on the "generating profit and revenue" end of these wheels. Now Who doesn't like money right ? And there are a shit load of these wheels everywhere old cars gather. The various dealers & manufactures (ET & Rocket) have got a really good moving product here and they must be quite plea$$$ed about it.

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I really like the look...not for a Gasser mind you...but I think they would look great on my T.
    It definately has that dragstrip look about it and right now it runs Weld wheels all around. Good wheels but way too modern for my taste.
    Over next winter I hope to get a couple of the 10 spokes for the front and I will run my old 15 x 10 Slots on the rear...along with shortening the wheelbase 4" - 6".
    Selling the 4 Welds should pay for the 10 spokes outright. I hope! LoL

25. Get off your HIGH HORSES!!! I LIKE mine and so do 99% of the folks that look at them. I dive this car and DRAG RACE IT. CRAGARS are nice to! Who cares! Run what you brung and HOPE YOU BROUGHT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

26. I recall seeing the ad myself, don't know if it was here or in an old rag.

I look at them with mixed emotions.They look OK on the right car, I prefer front brakes on a streeter so maybe if I were looking to build a a street legal altered (as in imposter) if I could get them raw and coat them with that coating they used to use on magnesium wheels it would be doable for me.

If someone was building a Fad T then spoke wheels is the only way to go. Hall crafts were what we used way back in the '60s and '70s. I actually out a steel '23 together trying to get a fad T look for a fella once and we used 16" Harley wheels ( because I had some and he didn't have much cash). They didn't quite have the look with the 500x16s on them and maybe I should have laced him up some 18s but he was happy.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think it popped up in the "gasser can and can't have" thread. I hope more people can ignore the elitists and haters who say they aren't the right wheel. Regardless of whether they're HAMB friendly, or "correct" for a gasser, I still think they're a good looking wheel.

28. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

I think its funny that soo many people hate these wheels......but,i see their period correct cars with all kinds of stupid stuff thats not period correct (cause i didnt know customs had hidden stereos and GPS on the dash,lol!). Jus' BUILD IT AND HAVE FUN!

29. stewartwhite

stewartwhite

30. Not only fake from 100 paces but from outers pace (pun intended)