Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thats probably just me wishing that was my car.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

How many cars are pre-registered now? It looks like a lot of great cars are coming.
    Which is why I might just go to watch this year. I sat in staging for four hours last year between runs, and you don't get much time to walk the pits or see much else if you're doing that. Nobody wants to see my slow junk run anyway, lol.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am going to run my junk it will give the fans time to go get a burger and a drink.

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

You and me both...You can time mine with a sundial....:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

Also,
    Pretty excited today.Just sent a bunch of photos and ideas to the sign shop guy this afternoon.....had a meeting with him,and he is totally on board with getting the car lettered Ina period correct,'60's style!:)

Scott

6. image.jpg image.jpg I'm looking forward to just spectating this year, but I'm also looking forward to running next year. Decided to go "old school" and assemble my own engine. Today, the pistons found their way into the block. 385 angry little inches:D.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Your helper sure looks like he's diggin it!:)

Scott

8. Saxxon

Saxxon

Look what found it's way into my greasy little hands...
    Coming to Meltdown 7 (Maybe)

IMG_0095.JPG

Think this....

527039_orig.jpg

It's a 1953 Willys - it's rough but straight. The floors up front are completely gone but patch panels are available. The back floors are not bad. The rear wheel wells are starting to go, but there are panels for them as well. I'm thinking a modified production look or junior stock with body color steel wheels in the back and some gasser style 15x4 Cragers or Torq Thrusts up front. Period correct lettering of course

I have an iron headed 427 BBC in the works that will likely find its way deep into the firewall of the "Ugly Beast 2". I'll trash the 4x4 and drivetrain and slide a Dana 60 under the back end with some slider mounts and ladder bars. Straight or mild (2" ??) drop axle up front. Interior will be bare and simple. Looking for mid 11's so I can get away with a simple roll bar. Not sure on trans. Simple and cheap means I stay with a tried and true T400 but the call to row gears has been pretty loud lately. Wouldn't this be wild with a Nash or Jerico making it dance down the track ??

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. Very cool - especially the 385 angry little inches part...:D

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Saxxon I was always thinking of one of those with a GMC cyclone platforms under it but I like what your thinking.

11. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Saxxon, Iam envious......nice Willys!

12. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Got my wagon running and drove it a short distance on Saturday. First time it has been driven in 35 years. Dropped it off at the exhaust shop yesterday. Looks like I will be done in time for the meltdown, if I have any money left!
    [​IMG]

Skotz likes this.
  13. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

from post 2343. 4 HRS in staging lanes? is this the norm at this event? driving 10 hrs to it, would like to get 10 passes in or break it trying.

14. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I never experienced that when I went. 30 minutes was the worst I had to endure and that was due to an exhibition dragster and 2 national anthems. I thought it flowed well.

15. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

16. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Absolutely Mark! I'm taking it you have the turbos lined out now? Either way your gonna blow some minds for sure.

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

No...not the norm. Lots of breakage and one unfortunate accident last year. Lots of time to make passes.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

18. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

thanks II funny . john: no turbo's , the nostalgia crowd freaks the f%#k out everytime I try to race that combo, back with a little stouter injected sbc.

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

20. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I know you had a lot of time invested in the turbos and they looked incredible, but I'm happy to hear that you went back with injection. I have a hard time seeing your car any other way. It was shock and awe though..!
    Your going to really enjoy Meltdown although you will have a hard time making 10 passes I think,..not because of slow lines but because your going to find yourself wanting to sit in the stands and watch the racing. I think I made 1 pass that Sunday because the gasser shootout was so much fun to watch.

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well folks it pains me to say but I won't be able to bring the flatcad digger this year I've been putting some good hard miles on the Willys and it has grenaded my trusty blower motor that is in it so with that being said I will let my spot for the digger open up for someone else to enjoy However the engine parts for the Willys are on the way so hopefully in a week or so a new fresh supercharged heart will be ready to transplant into the pickup so I can get it lined out for the meltdown I've worked way to hard to not be able to bring the Willys. Anyhow here is a pic I took of the Willys a few weeks ago at a car show

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402457387.490170.jpg

Also I want to give a shout out to the boys at towel city tires as they are real good to deal with and are sending me some new shoes for the Willys they should be here next week as well

Chrome don't get ya home

22. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

In regads to waiting times to race, it usually goes rather fast.

At last years event their was a gentlemen and his grandson who showed us 16 time slips EACH! You can expect a wait if there is some breakage.

Get ready boys and girls...we are just a little over 5 weeks away!

23. Saxxon

Saxxon

I am going to back up this statement - with great enthusiasm - The first year we went we stopped making passes to watch the action. There is so much going on you simply cannot take it all in. We did the same thing last year. We made 4 runs Saturday and 2 runs Sunday and that was fine by us.

Also - the number of passes you can make tends to be based on the car you have. If you can run laps and simply pull into the back of the lanes then you have an opportunity to make a ton of passes. The Byron crew keep things moving exceptionally well and for the most part they go through by lane order from 1 to 17 and then back to 1 to start the cycle again. Keep in mind that the stocker lanes have their own problem in that the Byron crews don't know where the last car is and it is more difficult if cars continue to pull back in after their pass. We saw one endless loop where the first car made 3 passes within 10 minutes. All I ask is anyone who has made a run in that go-around to be fair and tell the lane crew so they can move to the next lane and give everyone an equal chance. The first year there we saw a 51 Chevy make at least 15+ passes. Complete with 1 wheel burnouts and lightning fast 21 second ets. But they had more fun than anyone there... more power to them

24. We just passed the 400 car mark tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Took mine out for the first drive after all the work was completed last night....

Managed to totally disrupt a small town softball game,an got a lot of hoots and hollers when I gave it a holeshot and a 1-2 blast outside the fence of the ballpark:D

Graphics going on the car Monday.Cant wait for July!:)

Scott

26. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Scott congrats on the first test drive I wish I could have seen your smile when you pulled second. Can't wait to see the graphics. Ron

powrshftr likes this.
  27. If you build it I yam sure it will be TITS!!!!!

28. 62Furious

62Furious

Just got done with suspension changes and the car rides beautifully, haven't heard about my gears if they are done??? So I will give her the first bath of the season today so I can roll and show this weekend

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Just got plates and sticker for the first time in about a decade for this thing.
    Booked it in to get lettered up next Thursday,Fathers Day car show this weekend.
    I'm like a kid at Christmas over here!!!!
    Can't wait to get some miles on this weekend,and maybe catch some test n tune tonight!:)

Scott

30. Is there enough time to run 400 plus cars????

I'll be there to see if this will be possible!

I can't get my friend moving on his "Historic Henry J" which set records in the early sixties... so I guess we'll have to shoot for next year.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014