Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Very nice, Dave!
    Can't wait to see it all the same color again.

2. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

3. Me too Martin, me too. and this time it'll be shiny.

Yep Jack, high build and a long board make me a pretty good body man.

4. OK, the body is off the frame for some shiny paint. Just a little more blocking and she'll be ready. While my man scottb356 (Scott Burnett, Kahiko Kustoms) is spraying and buffing the body, I'll paint the frame, install the drive train, fuel pump and front brake lines, and run some exhaust.

photo1_zps8fa92505.jpg

photo2_zpse7b9b96c.jpg

EDIT: I've come full circle now. Miss Vicky is as apart now as she was when I began building her ten years ago. And I guess this will be the last post on this build thread since interest seems to be nonexistent at this point. I suppose I've taken too long and the members that were interested have moved on. There seems to have been a changing of the guard so to speak.

On a positive note, this lack of interest dovetails nicely with a theory I have about the viability of print media that I want to test. We'll see how it goes. Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  5. madfish

madfish

Dave, I want to talk to you about the possibility shooting a video of you and your car.
    I'm in Richmond and can meet you most anytime.
    Call me next week so we can talk. (804) 539-9584

Wayne
    Madfish films

D-Russ likes this.
  6. greaser

greaser

I'm sorry you feel that way, Dave...I've been watching with great interest. Looking forward to seeing more posts and hope you continue to impress us with all the great work we've come to expect from you!

D-Russ likes this.
  7. Wow, I really didn't expect this thread to get bumped again, and so soon after my dramatic proclamation. To paraphrase Mike Tyson, I just thought I'd fade into Bolivian.

I really appreciate the support and encouragement that all of you have given me over the years. I suppose I should delete the second part of my last post, and I just might do that, but I still want to test the theory that I alluded to.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just wish my bucket of rust was even close to being as far along as your Vic is. I've studied your photos time and time again when I have been doing the planning on mine.

D-Russ likes this.
  9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Just cause people don't comment doesn't mean they aren't watching. Can't wait to see it in paint.

D-Russ likes this.
  10. Agreed - I may not post but I follow this thread everyday, always excited when an update shows up. Great work on this project - easily one of the coolest rides on the HAMB.

Steve

D-Russ likes this.
  11. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I just cannot understand why you broke your little car.........:) ;) o_O.......

D-Russ likes this.
  12. flthd31

flthd31

That "changing of the guard" that you speak of is why I usually don't even bother to log in anymore. You've forced my hand.
    I've totally enjoyed this very high quality build you've been working on for a few years. Your last mod on that rear roof was especially fascinating. I always thought that an A coupe might benefit from a little of this but I'd never have the balls to attempt it other that in photoshop.
    No, the guys with 10,000 posts that have an opinion on everything but hotrod building probably won't reply. You're skill set is up there pretty high above the modern 1-800 hamber.
    That said, I think there a few of us that would be pissed if you didn't show a pic or two in the shiny paint...all together in its finished glory.

D-Russ likes this.
  13. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yah, what he said...

D-Russ likes this.
  14. OK, thanks for the virtual hugs guys, I'll keep posting.:)

Madfish/Wayne, I'll give you a call.

Lucky667 likes this.
  15. Thanks ... Im always checking in to see how its going.

D-Russ likes this.
  16. Count me in as another who eagerly awaits your next step. Your build thread, as well as seeing your car in person, helped me move forward numerous time when building the '32. I know I've been one to give you sh*t over the few years I've known you, always in jest. I actually have great admiration for what you can do. and have done. Dave, you are a man of many talents, and you have the "eye", many have benefited from what you have documented here, and I look forward to your next update. I just hope your newly boosted ego will fit in the car when you get it back together.

D-Russ likes this.
  17. This one of my favorites and I check it every time it's updated.
    This thread has over 117,000 views ! Thats a lot of interest !

D-Russ likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some people just got back from LARS, this is the first reply I've posted since we returned. Car is looking great! Bob

D-Russ likes this.
  19. Keep posting, I have been following this build for many years. Look forward to seeing your car finished.

D-Russ likes this.
  20. TBARA Wildchild

TBARA Wildchild

D-Russ,
    When I check in once a day, I always look for any updates on your car. With this being said, Like all good updates, sooner or later you will be done. And your car will slowly fade from The Hamb as it seems all projects that get finished do. I wish that you and the rest would continue with updates, even if its that you washed it after a run!!!!!

D-Russ likes this.
  21. Hey, Dave, how about a little info on your paint plans. Base coat/clear?, urethane?, color? And can you confirm that you've bought the rights to use the "Rod & Custom" name for this theory you've alluded to?

D-Russ likes this.
  22. Ha Ha Mark, no, I didn't buy the rights to R&C, but I do like the idea. I wonder if Aaron Kahn would be interested in a partnership ...

Paint will be single stage DuPont Urethane in a medium blue. I like single stage because it doesn't have the depth of base/clear so it looks older, and it's one less coat for me to mess up. (I'll still be painting the frame.)

As far as my theory goes, I'll have to share it with you off-line.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  23. Dave,
    Keep posting! I always enjoy seeing your progress and look forward to one day seeing the finished product. You're doing a great job and your detailed posts have been most inspiring and informative.
    -
    tom

D-Russ likes this.
  24. daddio211

daddio211

I've been busier than hell for the past few months so I check in only sporadically. Don't you dare leave us hanging Dave! Lots of interest out here still, but I think most of us don't comment because we don't have anything constructive to add at the moment.

The reshaping of the top alone is huge! Keep up the good work and we'll keep following along!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

D-Russ likes this.
  25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave! Interest hasn't died at all, buddy! We're just all patiently waiting. I don't want to hear anything about taking too long! I've got you beat in that department. Haha!

Awesome you're on your way to paint! Can't wait to see!

Posted using a record player and an Apple IIe

D-Russ likes this.
  26. Dude-Russ, I cant wait to see the results of our bad ass Porsche painter's work....

D-Russ likes this.
  27. I took Miss Vicky for a ride tonight.

photo_zpscd68105e.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just wish mine was somewhere close to being able to take for a similar ride. Keep us posted.

29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Are you going metallic this time around?

30. Eric H

Eric H

I have always been watching. Always a pleasure.

D-Russ likes this.